Thread: Win 11 - Only Audio Track loaded | HEVC

Potential Tuner

Question Win 11 - Only Audio Track loaded | HEVC

I have tried searching for previous posting using the forum search and came up with nothing.

I am trying to load session into RaceRender using a new Windows 11 system. When I do I get the error message that only the audio can be loaded. I have installed both the free and paid version of H.265/HEVC codec. All of the native Windows media players and VLC Player have no issue in playing the videos. In the past I was able to load sessions and create videos using a Macbook.

Anyone able to help? How do I get RR to recognize that codec thats installed and that other apps seem to be able to use?

rr-hevc-error.jpg

** edit of course after posting I was able to find something post but not any that helped.
    Last edited by thejester; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:20 AM.

Tuner in Training
    After years of working, I've run into this. I just got back from three days of recording video in the mountains of West Virginia. The videos from the first two days worked perfectly, as usual. The third day gets the HEVC error. Worse, when I used HandBrake to transcode the videos back to MP4 H.264, when I load them into RaceRender, I get a warning that no video was found, all that is found is the audio tracks.

Let me check my Hero 9's settings, maybe something got changed without my knowledge.

But the big issue is how to do I "fix" or change the existing videos to work with RaceRender?

Potential Tuner
    I have had the same experience, Win 10, 2 x GO PRO 10. Previously no issues with loading videos into race render and now they won't work. I am getting the same error as thejester. Installing the MS HEVC codec didn't help. Other software, including MS media player and vlc are able to open the files. I haven't changed any settings but then tried changing Gopro settings to H264+HEVC with no luck. Any ideas welcome.

Tuner in Training
    Just got back from using my GoPro Hero 9. I set it for HVEC, which resulted in files in the GX010345.MP4 naming style.
    Loaded them into RaceRender and no video was encoded. It shows as they are pure audio files.

Now I'm looking up ffmpeg command options to convert the HVEC to H.264, sigh.

Potential Tuner
    Something has definitely changed. This morning I opened up an old project (which worked perfectly) and the Hero 9 video file is showing as audio only. It obviously worked perfectly when I did the project originally. (Also worth noting that my Hero 9 is set to H.264 + HEVC in the compression settings)

Seeing as Racerender hasn't been updated, and the video file hasn't changed, I can only assume that a Microsoft update has caused an incompatibility issue.

However, what's even more confusing is that the Hero 8 video file in the same project is still working perfectly. That also has the compression set to H.264 + HEVC in the settings.

The only difference between the two cameras in terms of settings was that the the Hero 9 is 2.7k 4:3 60Hz, and the Hero 8 is 2.7k 60Hz.
    Last edited by Paul_D; 1 Week Ago at 04:19 AM.

Potential Tuner
    As a follow up to this, I've just done a little experiment with my Hero 9. I recorded some clips using different settings and tried to load them into Racerender3. These were the results:

1080p 30Hz - Audio Only
    1080p 60Hz - Worked ok
    1440p 4:3 30Hz - Audio Only
    1440p 4:3 60Hz - Audio Only
    2.7k 60Hz - Worked ok
    2.7k 4:3 60Hz - Audio Only

So it seems like for some reason it now doesn't like 30Hz or 4:3 files???

Edited to add - It's not only Racerender3. I've just tried to add those files to media in Adobe Premiere Elements 2024. The results were identical. Everything which was 'Audio only' in Racerender brought up a 'file not supported' error message in Adobe.
    Last edited by Paul_D; 1 Week Ago at 07:26 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
    As a follow up to this, I've just done a little experiment with my Hero 9. I recorded some clips using different settings and tried to load them into Racerender3. These were the results:
    1080p 60Hz - Worked ok
    2.7k 60Hz - Worked ok

So it seems like for some reason it now doesn't like 30Hz or 4:3 files???
    Well, interesting. Not good. I shoot everything at 4:3 because what I shoot (dirt bikes thru the woods) has nothing in the wide parts that is interesting.

I used a ffmpeg setting to convert from HEVC to H.264 and with the converted files, RaceRender will find video, but loses the GPS metadata.
    Makes it very hard to have cool graphics overlay when you don't have the GPS/GPX data.

There probably is an ffmpeg setting that will pass-through the meta-data, but I can't find it. there are only hundreds or maybe literally thousands of
    options that can be set with ffmpeg. Sigh.

Tuner in Training
    FYI there is another thread.
    Here's the link in case there is a solution posted there.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...&highlight=265

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the updates, I'm having trouble too. Windows 11 update is my suspicion at this point. I've been ok using RR all year with a Gopro 11, 4k/30, linear horizon lock, 10 bit, high bit rate, auto shutter etc.

I switched to the 11 from an 8, about 3 months ago. I use the GPS from the Gopro and add my path outline and Heart rate data using a Garmin Instinct.

I shoot one long video, usually about an hour and then dump both into RR. No problem with the 8, RR would recognize the GPS, join it all up etc.

So, the 11 GPS is buried in the LRV file, you guys helped me find that, thank you. Now I drag that in first, RR creates an LRV video and a data file for my telemetry.

I drag 'em all in, (usually 5 each) then delete the video, then join the data.

Then I drag in the first MP4 file, RR joins them up for me like the 8 would.

Then I pop in my template and it all works fine, I just double check the input for the heart rate, speed stuff etc.

So, recently, the video turned to a bizarre colorized mess. Neon green and Neon pink pixels, rather than good old color.

So, I tried clicking on a video, and "config" to help. I saw the screen that could produce that LSD looking colorized mess, but nothing helped clear up my video.

About the best I could achieve was a really weak looking black and white.

I have all of my old files before they go into the RR, so I tried some older ones. Gopro 8, no problem. Gopro11, neon disaster.

So, I had some gopro labs stuff on the gopro 11 (larger chapter size) So I got rid of that with a Gopro manual update thru the website, microSD card etc. No problem.

Did a factory reset too. Set all the Gopro settings to my usual, no luck.

Then I experimented with 1080, if I dragged the MP4 in, all RR recognized was the audio...

Tried 4k/30 with 10 bit off, wild colors.

10 bit off, standard bit rate, wild colors.

I'm about to try the 4k/60 thanks to the post by Paul_D.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

I also did a fresh install of RaceRender, using the manual method into my C: Program Files (x86). I've had the Ultimate 3.7.3 for years.

I sure hope I can get this back on track, I'm no expert by any means.

But I have been doing this video overlay stuff for almost 14 years.

Back then it was adding Garmin instinct to Gopros, using Dashware.

Dashware was bought out by Gopro back then, turned into Quick (sort of) then abandoned.

So I went with Racerender way back then and I've been super happy since.

Now it's not looking so good for RR if Windows 11 is going to crash it too hard.

I won't be messing with the updates to windows 11.

Not frustrated, not surprised, Glad for how good RR has been so far.

Potential Tuner
    I tried the 4k/60 and 1080/60 but no luck.

RR only recognizes the audio portion of the MP4.

I've always formatted my SD cards with windows, no problems.

I'm up for any ideas. I tried attaching some screenshots, but the forum software sorta baffled me.

Here's a link to what my videos looked like 2 weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/0QjzP5uCppE?feature=shared

I save all my files to a hard drive.

If I add those same files to RR now, I get the crazy neon colors. I'm baffled.

config input .png
    Last edited by Larry R; 1 Week Ago at 08:58 PM. Reason: add explanation of photo

Tuner in Training
    Racerender is now working properly again.
    Success, if only temporary, Lets see.
    I did a windows roll back. Control Panel / Recovery. Open system restore. I went back to 11 May 24.
    Do a backup first as this may damage your system.

Tuner in Training
    Started tinkering and found what caused it.
    In the windows store I had previously installed "HEVC Video Extensions from the Device Manufacturer"
    Racerender was working properly.
    I updated the HEVC Video Extensions from the Device Manufacturer and it killed it again.
    Still trying to figure out a solution.

Potential Tuner
    ^ Thanks for the info.

I use Windows 11 Home for RRender. Just though I'd mention that I didn't install the HEVC extensions.

I did a clean install of windows in February, added a video card and memory, some fans etc.

RRender was working fine. Before the upgrade and after.

Then a few weeks ago, blammo. Crazy neon colors.

Tuner in Training
    Progress is slow and difficult.
    I ran system restore again and captured the information of the working codec then it automatically updated and I was back to the error again.

I don't know how to make a backup of the working one.

This is how to get the list of packages installed so you can then see what version you have installed.

Open windows power shell

Get-AppxPackage | select Name,PackageFullName,NonRemovable

Look for the lines that contain HEVC

Working version 2.0.61931.0_x64
    Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_2.0.61931.0_x64__8wek yb3d8bbwe

Broken version 2.1.1161.0_x64
    Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_2.1.1161.0_x64__8weky b3d8bbwe

Edit: adding removal instructions
    To remove the package use the following depending on the version you have installed.
    Remove-AppPackage Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_2.1.1161.0_x64__8weky b3d8bbwe
    Remove-AppPackage Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtensions_2.1.1162.0_x64__8wek yb3d8bbwe
    Last edited by Brendon; 1 Day Ago at 03:54 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Found an archive of the working codec.
    I tested it and it worked.
    Use at your own risk.
    I downloaded the zipped file. unzipped it and clicked on the package. It installed.
    I also ran a virus scan on https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload and that came up clean.
    https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...9804d273defe90

https://archive.org/details/microsof...8bbwe_20231114

Make sure to turn off updates in windows store
    DisableUpdates.jpg
    Last edited by Brendon; 4 Days Ago at 06:27 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you @Brendon !! ^^

Been working to solve this same Race Render issue also - The older Codec you linked above also worked for me.

One thing to add: If it helps others:
    If you still have the faulty newer Microsoft HEVC codec installed and then install the working older one above - Race Render appears to still use the bad one.

My solution was to uninstall the newer one and then restart Race Render
    To do this, go to "Settings" > "Apps" > "Apps and Features", and then search for "HEVC". Select the newer dated extension and click "Uninstall".

With this - HEVC 265 GoPro vids now import properly again and are editable with GPS telemetry

Tuner in Training
    glad it worked and i could give something back to the community

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlid#84 View Post
    One thing to add: If it helps others:
    To do this, go to "Settings" > "Apps" > "Apps and Features", and then search for "HEVC". Select the newer dated extension and click "Uninstall".
    I have the cursed version: 2.1.1161.0_x64

My Windows 11 Settings does not have this command chain.
    Its got "Settings" > "Apps" but no "apps and features"
    "Installed apps" does not find either hvec or HVEC
    "advanced App settings" doesn't seem to have anything related.
    Other options are "archive apps" and "App execution aliases"
    which seem to have nothing related either.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PatFarrell View Post
    I have the cursed version: 2.1.1161.0_x64

My Windows 11 Settings does not have this command chain.
    Its got "Settings" > "Apps" but no "apps and features"
    "Installed apps" does not find either hvec or HVEC
    "advanced App settings" doesn't seem to have anything related.
    Other options are "archive apps" and "App execution aliases"
    which seem to have nothing related either.
    See my message above. Have added the instructions to manually remove the package for windows 11.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post782887