Thread: Any disadvantage to changing injectors now?

Tuner in Training

Any disadvantage to changing injectors now?

I have an 04 LM7 with a hot air intake, electric fans and a set of shortie swap headers in my Jeep CJ5. Many years ago I bought an old Whipple side mount supercharger that has a real set of 8.1 marine injectors. My Jeep doesn't need a supercharger but I have a 14 year old son who has a 93 Chevy C1500 that we'll be 5.3/T56 swapping. I guarantee that he doesn't need more power either but he'll ask if dad isn't using it.

I'm new to tuning and I've learned a lot and come a long way (I've made enough power to twist my driveshaft into a pretzel) so I'm thinking about popping the 8.1 injectors in now just a build a better base tune for when I put the supercharger on. Is there any disadvantage to this?

BTW yes, I can say no to my son but this just gives me a bit of an excuse to put the supercharger to use.

If you had legit data for the 8.1 marine injectors there would be no problem at all. However, I have never seen data confirmed to be correct for those injectors for gm car computers. Just so you know I am not trying to piss on your parade, my old work truck that my Dad now owns has a sidemount Whipple with an A/A intercooler and a FAST intake, using the 8.1 marine injectors. The tune is the result of a lot of "best guess" approximation combined with trial and error because I never found any real data for them for anything but static flow rate.

Tuner in Training
    You aren't peeing on my parade at all. The lack of data is why I was considering tuning now to try to establish a usable base tune.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a set of data for these, not sure who it came from. I've used this set successfully and had no adverse effects. I can share when I have the laptop open.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 04silverado6.0; 12-20-2023 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Add files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    I have a set of data for these, not sure who it came from. I've used this set successfully and had no adverse effects. I can share when I have the laptop open.
    Why two sets?

Advanced Tuner
    Ive been using the "8_1 Marine Injector data LS1 rev a.xls" set successfully. I also had the fic data so it may be a more professional/correct data sheet.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks!