Thread: Do I tune VE Or MAF STFTS OR Both

Advanced Tuner

Do I tune VE Or MAF STFTS OR Both

Getting a little confused reading into ve tuning so if i tune in speed density then do i still dial in the maf after or is it a choice between the two? heres some logs after fixing my fuel regulator installed a bad one and heres my tune i re enabled everything as the maf seemed dialed in for now and wanted to tune the vehicle enrichment.
    after fpr 5 subtracted -1gs from braf table re enabled everything ltft re enabled.hpt
    after fpr 4.hpt
    after fpr 7.hpl
    after fpr fixed re enabled everything added 1 and 2 to ve table.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    You tune VE and then run MAF only and tune the MAF. You can run either/or if you want. Speed density is running without the MAF. MAF only runs strictly off the MAF and not the VE table.

Most people calibrate the VE then Calibrate the MAF afterward and move on to idle and Spark tuning. You can do MAF first if you want, makes no difference.
    "I don't care how it runs as long as it chop chops at idle"

Advanced Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...uning-write-up
    https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tricks-373848/
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-(w-pictures)

The last link might be the most helpful to start with. Pictures and all included
    If you need any more help just ask.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you think it’s a waste of time without a wideband I have a wideband but when I bought it I didn’t look into it better it has outputs but I can’t use it untill I buy the pro feature set. Not sure if I should just get the AEM one that can plug right into the software I appreciate the help

Senior Tuner
    What are you tuning?

Advanced Tuner
    Ve table then Maf then spark I feel like I can get more out of this motor just tuning it’ll take, which I’m learning past few months I had some mechanical problems which are fixed now it runs really good just feel like it needs dialed in better

Senior Tuner
    What vehicle? What mods? The more you are modified the more important the wide band is.

Advanced Tuner
    01 Silverado lq4 iron block bored to 4.030 all forged stock stroke. Trick flow gen x 225 Heads. Ls7 lifters heartland sharp sls17 rollers. My compression ratio is a little low as I couldn?t find a thinner gasket at the time. And messed up went with 12cc dished I believe it?s around 9.8:1 Cam- Summit Stage 3 Pro LS Truck Swap Cam, 222/232 112+5, .550/.550 Lift. Trailblazer ss intake swap with a 92mm dbc summit throttle body. 60lb deutchwerks Injectors

Senior Tuner
    I’m far from an expert but sounds far enough from stock to need a wideband for WOT.

Advanced Tuner
    My problem is I have one so it’s either pay for the pro featur set and use the current one or just get the aem one that works with the scanner

Senior Tuner
    If you can run the full can network (334?) I would probably sell what you have and get the newer wideband. It’s supposed to be a lot easier.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lxjoshxl View Post
    Do you think it’s a waste of time without a wideband I have a wideband but when I bought it I didn’t look into it better it has outputs but I can’t use it untill I buy the pro feature set. Not sure if I should just get the AEM one that can plug right into the software I appreciate the help
    Why not just run it through the EGR circuit or AC circuit?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    If you can run the full can network (334?) I would probably sell what you have and get the newer wideband. It’s supposed to be a lot easier.
    The first few widebands i had didnt work with a CAN-BUS and had to be wired through the EGR. My newest purchases have controllers and were basically plug and play (i also have pro features now as well). Setup was much easier. If its a good name brand then you can just plug it all in and use the transform feature in the scanner while setting up your channels and it has all the math preloaded.

Tuner
    Gotta get a wideband and setup histograms so you can copy paste corrections .. do idle then ve then maf then go back to idle if everything within 5% can start on spark
    2002 Escalade LQ9 11:1, forged wiseco pistons , 220/[email protected] cam , Tbss Intake , 50Lb FIC injectors , ported and milled 317s , FBO, true duals 3", PTC built 4l65e and 2800stall with billet front , Half ass tuned by myself ...Trying to learn how to do it right ✅️

Advanced Tuner
    So I got the pro link+ cable coming tomorrow then I gotta get the pro feature set my wideband now auto meter has two output wires I can wire in to the pro link cable and then connect to the mpvi2+ and it pulls it right into the logger?

Advanced Tuner
    Rawrmotorsports seems like we have similar setups besides compression ratio my idle is great runs really good I notice wideband kicks to 12.3 or 13 wot but I haven’t really gotten into high rpm pulls like I should

Tuner
    I can send u my tune to look over .. it's a Lil aggressive
    2002 Escalade LQ9 11:1, forged wiseco pistons , 220/[email protected] cam , Tbss Intake , 50Lb FIC injectors , ported and milled 317s , FBO, true duals 3", PTC built 4l65e and 2800stall with billet front , Half ass tuned by myself ...Trying to learn how to do it right ✅️

Tuner
    shoot idk about pro features i cheated and am logging wideband through egr sensor

Advanced Tuner
    you have to set it up in the scanner, but yes, that's the basic idea of it.