Thread: How did you approach your very first tune?

Tuner in Training

How did you approach your very first tune?

So im at the stage where im tired of paying people to tune my car and contemplating whether i have the courage enough to try it myself for the very first time.
    My car is a turbocharged built 6.0 on SD 3 bar flex p59

It used to fire up and sputter til it faulted the maf, but i got that squared away today.

- I can find eq error/afr error (currently running lambda aem gauge via a/c switch to try to get comfortable with lambda)
    - I can see knock/timing retard and make adjustments accordingly.
    - I have the high octane table set pretty well, i have the low octane table -3* throughout.
    - I have the injector data input
    - i adjusted the VE table where the car is in a driveable state (beforehand, i couldnt even get it on the trailer)

Im pretty sure i could tune the car myself, probably wont be the greatest tune in the world, but i dont want anything to happen to this engine that i spent a pretty penny on.
    I dont want to mess up a friends car/truck trying to make it run better?
    How did you do your very fist tunes?
    Maybe disconnect the charge pipe, tune it, upload for you guys to critique and tell me how to improve?

Advanced Tuner
    Very Carefully, You just got to sneak up on it.

Advanced Tuner
    slowly, and offered it a tuna sandwich.. no crust of course

Senior Tuner
    Learn by doing.

Tuner in Training
    Trial and error. Start with small changes and see how it affects the car. Grow from there.

Tuner
    These guys are great, I just think it's hard for them to relate to the newbie mind set. I know I do when I talk about transmission rebuiding...

I have only had HPtuner since last Sept. I found this & I started with it.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ght=rinkrat456

The issue I had was finding what channels are needed to get the VE tune done. so I found this channel configuration and it helped too.idleairflow layout.Layout.xml

I hope this helps
    Building Automatic Transmissions since 1978
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Black 2000 S10 Base 2.2L Flex Current LS10 swap project
    Red 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 3.73 SOLD
    Red 1998 S10 SS 4.3L Deceased 10/31/2014

Tuner in Training
    I get the entire newbie thing just looking at the software? im beyond that point.
    Im just curious that if you have idle squared away, if all that tuning consists of is driving around hitting cells, copying the table, multiply by half, repetitive; then when its all within 2-3%, throw timing at it til it knocks then pull1.5*.

Seems like im paying for a hell of alot more. Lol

Unless im missing something?.. but if thats all that tuning is, then im confident i can do it. I already have my vcm scanner setup to do all of it, i just dont have the nuts to roll into the throttle, should i ?over fuel? the VE table by 10% and pull it out or is there a calculation to take 0-105 cells, and apply it to the rest of the table for boost?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Im just curious that if you have idle squared away, if all that tuning consists of is driving around hitting cells,?
    driving around hitting cells, yes.
    But how are you doing that? with the narrow band O2s?
    that will get you tuned partially down low.
    once you hit WOT those narrow bands turn off. Now what?
    There is much more than add timing take away timing, filling cells.
    Sounds to me, you get the idea, you just havent fully dove in to what you are able to do.
    Also, you are in a gen 3 section. The gen 3 is almost as basic as tuning a 750 double pump holley.
    I say almost, becuase some bolt on the carb and go..
    Where some do the actual tuning, changing jets, pump size, and actual readings from the dyno or track day.
    Tuning is also just a term. What are you tungin for? HP? TQ? MPGs?
    There is alot to it, not just hitting cells, youre just hitting the tip of the iceberg

Senior Tuner
    Well first i scratched the sticker back and stuck the chip under a UV light to erase it.............

Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    driving around hitting cells, yes.
    But how are you doing that? with the narrow band O2s?
    that will get you tuned partially down low.
    once you hit WOT those narrow bands turn off. Now what?
    There is much more than add timing take away timing, filling cells.
    Sounds to me, you get the idea, you just havent fully dove in to what you are able to do.
    Also, you are in a gen 3 section. The gen 3 is almost as basic as tuning a 750 double pump holley.
    I say almost, becuase some bolt on the carb and go..
    Where some do the actual tuning, changing jets, pump size, and actual readings from the dyno or track day.
    Tuning is also just a term. What are you tungin for? HP? TQ? MPGs?
    There is alot to it, not just hitting cells, youre just hitting the tip of the iceberg
    hitting cells by wideband tied to a/c sensor and logging that way
    currently i have all o2 sensors disabled because my car is running on speed density, i dont have a maf at all.

Im tuning for HP/TQ.... something that will make my car run good without blowing up. even if i tune is with the charge pipe disconnected and it runs good, i'd be happy with myself. Then going into boost..... if i could tune for 5 psi, the car stays together and the tune looks good, i'd be really happy because then i know im on the right track..... baby steps