Thread: 2019 L83 e92a ecu swap RPM (SAE) not reading

Tuner in Training

2019 L83 e92a ecu swap RPM (SAE) not reading

I am hella stumped. 'done several GenV swaps, this is first e92a ECU version though.... This swap has a 2 second long crank, sounds broken lol.. after 2nd crank or so, i get P0355 crank sensor fault. Ive started looking at PIDs and logged several and I noticed when selecting RPM it asks to use SAE or Yes, I know what I'm doing... I logged both and
    RPM (SAE) does not read
    RPM reads - possibility a calculated or substitute value?? basing that assumption on BMW's (my profession... some sensors have substitute values when somethings wrong)

From my BMW background, when you forget to plug in the crank sensor, or install the reluctor wheel for example, the car will have a long crank, 4 revolutions, ECU reads the cam sensors and then calculates the rest and engine starts. Check engine light of course, but this is what i'm thinking is causing this long crank, crank sensor circuit...

I've wire tested as I would do on a customers car: sensor to ECU, .2 ohm, checked shorted power and shorted to ground - all pass. pin drag test good. Well, wires are good must be sensor... just replaced the sensor from the dealer, nope.... cleared faults, re-tested, nope... Still long crank (may be related) and RPM (SAE) does not read. Kinda wonder if its an operating system issue? I don't know how to tell but I certainly don't want to buy 200 in credits to flash some other on it.

Any ideas on what to test or try?
    Thanks,
    Clint

edit: also looking at wiring diagrams:
    only thing on the 5v circuit is this sensor, the brake pedal sensor and vss sensor is not used on this swap.
    A lot of things use the Low Reference, all of them seem to be working just fine: coolant temp, throttle pedal, A/c pressure, Fuel rail, don't think i logged MAP yet, no codes for it though.
    Last edited by modularfox; 07-05-2023 at 07:26 PM.

Tuner in Training
    update: found the problem. It was not crank relearn procedure, youtubed it and usually you get a p0315 code.
    I double checked the Ignition/Crank/Run and B+ at the fuse box, all good.
    I was about to break out the oscilloscope but needed to back probe the ecu connector. I took the back shell off, back probed with test pin, and when trying to install the X3 ecu connector back on, I was having trouble getting the connector to install due to the locks not being able to slide. I removed the locks from the connector body and carefully slid the connector on... it didnt seem like it was as far as the other 2 connectors. I removed the connector and looked at the Gray connector terminal lock, looked normal, but when I touched it, it rocked a every so slightly. I Removed the other 2 connectors, no rocking. I then removed the Gray connector lock and sum b... both pin 25 and 26 for crank sensor were not fully seated, probably not even far enough to make contact. The lock had slight deformation and would not install, put the heat gun on it for a few seconds very carefully and it straightened itself out.. was not expecting that at all lol, continued and reinstalled it.. fired up HPtuners VCM Scaner... fixed, swap start up like normal.

When I wire tested, I didn't pay attention to how far I was inserting the test pin... Had I noticed how far it was going in to make contact, I probably could have saved 35$ on the sensor and a huge headache... I removed the other 2 ecu terminal locks and all other wires were all seated... sum b....

clint