Thread: 5.7 HEMI Tuning Big Stall Converter with Big Cam Help

Potential Tuner

5.7 HEMI Tuning Big Stall Converter with Big Cam Help

We are having issues with tuning my 2017 Chrysler 300 5.7 HEMI after installing a bigger stall converter to match the dyno sheet according to my tuner. The Throttle Torque Source is randomly changing from Pedal to Transmission causing the car to lose power while pressing on the pedal. It is so intermittent that I am not able to replicate it, only lucky to catch it on a log. The attached Log has an instance of this at 00:07:03.355. This has mostly happened during normal driving, coming to a stop, and then going again. Listed below are the notable modifications to the vehicle that my tuner has been using to make adjustments. Dyno run attached was done with stock converter installed and the dyno shop ran it in 5th gear because of axle speed concerns. Any helps or tips on this issue or any part of the tune is much appreciated!

180 degree thermostat
    38 tooth MOPAR 3.09 Limited Slip Rear Differential
    Stainless Long Tube Headers and Hi-Flow Cats
    Mid-Mufflers and Rear Resonators Deleted 2.75" piping to 5" exhaust tips (will be putting a full 3" straight exhaust soon as well)
    NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs
    Short Runner Valve Controller set to switch at 4600 RPM
    Extreme Ported 392 Intake Manifold
    JLT Performance Cold Air Induction Filter and Intake
    BBK 90MM Throttle Body
    Racing Performance Comp Camshaft DUR: @ .050": 224/234 | LIFT: .632"/.619" | LSA: 116 2100-7400 Operating Range (MORE INFO ON IMAGE)
    Comp Cams Matched Conical Springs Kit #7230 allows for 7500+ RPM
    Comp Cams Phaser Lock Kit
    Oil Valve MDS plugs
    Full Hellcat Lifter Set with Yokes
    HHP Hardened 5/16? .083 Wall Pushrods
    Circle D 10" Multi-Disc 3600-3800 Torque Converter

Advanced Tuner
    i spent all of 5 mins but believe i found some whacked shit

forced torque intervention for one

pulling 650 ft lb when motor is only making 100 and there is no slippage

then he has it pulling less and less the larger the delta

*i would lose most those channels and add several

Potential Tuner
    Thank you so much for your input. I definitely wanted to get other eyes on what is going on as I was not sure if my tuner was steering me wrong. Seems like there are quite a few things to address. Any chance I could get some assistance in fixing those issues? I am probably going to purchase and take the Tuning School myself just to make sure this does not happen to me again. I would really like to get this car feeling and running times the way it is suppose to. Best pass we did with the stock converter was a 13.11 @ 108.5 believe it or not with a 2.2 60 ft haha. I have basic knowledge of these cars but as soon as the trans tuning with this big of a stall was causing my go to tuner issues I knew things were wack. He keeps telling me it?s mechanical issues but my engine builder is saying it?s all in the tune that is causing the problems and the car to be the way it is.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 8HP70 transmission btw. I don?t know how to tune yet. This was a shop that built this tune. I am enrolled in The Tuning School class for hemi engines and transmissions but have not gotten my books in the mail yet. I?m a little hesitant to change things without it.

Potential Tuner
    This tune compared to a few before this one that the shop was sending me at least doesn?t shoot to 2200 RPMs at low speed at constant 20% pedal but completely pushing through 1-5 and then RPMs skipping down to shift to 6th. It was really weird. I believe that?s why he disabled 1-3 TCC, but now the car kinda backfires on low speed and hard shifting even at a constant 20% pedal

Potential Tuner
    Here is the stock file as well for those that are looking to help thank you.

Tuner in Training
    looks like its taking to long to downshift ?

Quote Originally Posted by jfray300 View Post
    Here is the stock file as well for those that are looking to help thank you.
    Have you spent anytime in the transmission section of the Dodge section ? Looks of 8hp trans threads.
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph