Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start... there is so much info it's easy to get lost while looking.

Tuner in Training

Where to start... there is so much info it's easy to get lost while looking.

Okay, this is going to sounds dumb. I have an 08 Trailblazer SS, got it about 4 months ago, maybe 6. It had a CAI (no name), Derale Efans and what I?m presuming a shitty tune-up in it. Since then, I?ve installed Longtubes and ory and wide band. The engine was running dangerously lean 16-18 🙃, posted on here and there was a person generous enough to fatten it up for me. I know what YouTube shows me with this device. I own a shop so the concepts are somewhat understood, just don?t know where to begin. I have a cam on my shelf here at work along with the copo oil pump, and an I6 converter, but I?d like to see what this thing can do prior to adding those pieces. Do any of you have a page to point me to, or even feel like explaining where to begin with something like this? I have a buddy with a dealership and he?s got an 07 so I took the factory tune from it to compare and I feel like whoever got in here didn?t know what they were doing. If wanted I can send my ?tune? for someone to eyeball. Or like I said, I absolutely don?t mind being pointed to a page or thread to learn on my own! TIA! 🤙🏼 I just invested in a set of sticky tires because the A/S were just lighting up from a dig. After the tire swap it slowed down almost .9 to the 1/4 via a Draggy and seems supper sluggish out of the hole. Like I said, just looking for where to begin, be it inserting the factory 07 tune up then going from there, or be it trying to correct what has been done with my current parameters.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not a shitty tune-up, it's just not tuned at all. VVE & MAF & spark are still stock.

Tuner in Training
    That's good to know I suppose, I wonder why there are discrepancies from the 07 stock to my 08. On the compare table there is a hand full of differences that I found when doing a compare file in editor. I know atleast the COT and things of that nature have been adjusted as I and I believe you assisted on that. I know for sure I want to put the trans tables back to stock because it's hanging the 2-3 shift for a good bit.

You can't really count on everything being the same between different years. Hell, the calibrations could have been done by different teams who arrived at a similar end result by a different path. Same year, same OS ID is the only way to get a true valid comparison. Pretty sure there are '08 RWD Trailblazers in the repository.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WPAS View Post
    That's good to know I suppose, I wonder why there are discrepancies from the 07 stock to my 08. On the compare table there is a hand full of differences that I found when doing a compare file in editor. I know atleast the COT and things of that nature have been adjusted as I and I believe you assisted on that. I know for sure I want to put the trans tables back to stock because it's hanging the 2-3 shift for a good bit.
    Every year TBSS sorta stands on its own programming wise. If you need a stock 2008 file you can email us at [email protected] We do an absolute ton of trailblazer SS and make parts for them.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    I got the stock one in the repository, lost .4 off the 1/4, BUT I now know that it's starting from scratch. I'm waiting on some control arm brackets from you guys, chatted with Mark earlier this week. I've considered doing the download tune, but I'm stubborn and want to try it on my own first lol

Tuner in Training
    Got everything squared away and back to stock. Tried to set eq error to start maf tuning and it?s not populating any info at all, any ideas here? 🙃

Usually means you're not logging one of the PIDs being used in the graph. Impossible to say until someone can look at it as you are seeing it on your screen, that means a log file and your default.Graphs.xml (a log file without the whatever.xml is only the channels and their data, it doesn't show the things you see when you open a log).

Tuner in Training
    Here's the log I snagged. Just trying to do some basic MAF tuning but aparently that's not happening lol hints the name of the log file

Senior Tuner
    Did you not read the part about adding in your xml file.

Tuner in Training
    🤣 absolutely skipped over that! Logging now? When I stop I?ll hit spot and attach both

Tuner in Training
    here are BOTH files lol

Senior Tuner
    I think there is a different xml for the graphs.

The log file is already (nothing but) the channels. Right-click in the Graphs area, click 'Graphs Layout...', then save 'All Graphs'. Make a note of the location where it's saved. Attach THAT file. default.Graphs.xml.

Without YOUR Garphs.xml, your logs populate MY Graphs. The only way for another person to see YOUR graphs the way YOU see them is to include the file that configures YOUR graphs.

Are you trying to tune with fuel trims, or a wideband? Also need to see the current tune file used for these logs since you say you've changed lots of stuff - nobody knows what's changed between now and the last tune file you posted.

And... please do not do any more WOT stuff until we figure out why your O2 sensors are going dead lean any time you're on throttle.

Tuner in Training
    I haven't changed anything yet, I am attempting to do a base MAF tune by populating the EQ Err and adjusting the airflow table accordingly. here is the graph file. I apologize if I come off ignorant, I am VERY wet behind the ears here and just trying to dip my feet into something that doesn't seem terrible to comprehend.

Tuner in Training
    Understood, the wideband is showing 15ish at WOT which is still lean, but after the pull they PEG lean as you can see

If by 'after' you mean 'during', then yes I do see that.

Tune file. You have changed things, or at least you said you did, since now and your first post with the 'TBSS Initial Cat Delete - actual (1).hpt' file.

I got the stock one in the repository, lost .4 off the 1/4, BUT I now know that it's starting from scratch.
    Got everything squared away and back to stock.
    Just trying to do some basic MAF tuning
    You have to change settings in the tune to make it 'MAF only' to do MAF tuning. Similarly you have to make other changes to make it speed density only to do VVE tuning. I do not see a wideband being logged, so if you're trying to do forced-open-loop wideband logging, that doesn't work without the wideband showing up in the channels list. Or, if you're trying to tune via fuel trims, trims do not work when in forced open loop.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I did change the things outlined in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvjJZfdhPA&t=331s trying to force open loop to get the MAF as he did here.