Thread: OS recommendation? 2011 Canyon, LS2 , AR5 swap

Potential Tuner

Smile OS recommendation? 2011 Canyon, LS2 , AR5 swap

Good Afternoon.

I am just finishing up the wiring harness on this swap and I am relatively new to HP tuners so I am looking for some advice.
    The truck was originally a 2011 Canyon 2.9L 4cyl 4L60E Automatic. I have swapped to a LS2 out of a 2007 TBSS , an ar5 manual transmission from a 2009 4cyl Colorado.

I am wondering about which OS to flash into my E67 PCM. I want everything to work as intended (HVAC, cluster, ABS etc. etc.)
    I have hp tuners MPVI3 AND I have a j2524 flash device which I use regularly to flash replacement modules in other peoples vehicles etc.

I have narrowed it down to two options (OTHER SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME) and these are the pro's/con's of each (as far as I can tell from research only)

07 cadillac CTS-V E67 OS: Pro - correct engine, manual transmission operating system. Con - may not work with cluster, hvac module .2. It appears that the clutch switch system is different from what I have now as the cadillac uses a on/off one pin input to the PCM while the canyon clutch switch is a three pin input "position" sensor

2011 Canyon 5.3L LH9 E67 OS: Pro: correct truck likely to work with cluster , hvac ABS etc. Correct clutch switch wiring. Con - wrong displacement engine, no manual transmission OS.

I guess what I am asking is: Which OS would be best suited for my application? Am I better off manipulating the Canyon flash for displacment/trans swap or am I better off sorting out the bugs on the Cadillac OS?

Thank you for ANY help you can provide.
    Last edited by Quik4g63; 04-10-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quik4g63 View Post
    07 cadillac CTS-V E67 OS: Pro - correct engine, manual transmission operating system. Con - may not work with cluster, hvac module .2. It appears that the clutch switch system is different from what I have now as the cadillac uses a on/off one pin input to the PCM while the canyon clutch switch is a three pin input "position" sensor

2011 Canyon 5.3L LH9 E67 OS: Pro: correct truck likely to work with cluster , hvac ABS etc. Correct clutch switch wiring. Con - wrong displacement engine, no manual transmission OS.

I guess what I am asking is: Which OS would be best suited for my application? Am I better off manipulating the Canyon flash for displacment/trans swap or am I better off sorting out the bugs on the Cadillac OS?
    Couple things. 2011 Canyon/Colorado 5.3 allegedly exist with factory-installed manual transmissions, and you will need a ECM OS that is manual-trans specific. The only way I know of to get one of those is to find a VIN from a real factory built manual trans 5.3 truck, and then use GM SPS to do the initial programming on the correct-for-the-VIN service number - just because it's an 'E67' does not mean you can use any other E67. For a 2011 it will have to be a 12678511. Programming as an '08-down application would need a different E67. I have looked and looked and never found a VIN from one of these unicorn trucks. You may have better luck or know of special tricks that I don't.

These Gen 4 ECMs cannot be programmed, like changing the OS from one platform to another, with tuning software. A full OS change must be done with something that is able to write all 8 segments of the OS.

Wrong engine size/injectors/other components is easy as changing numbers in boxes. The hard part will be getting the right base OS onto an ECM.

Potential Tuner
    I appreciate your help. Thank you.

So, if I am understanding correctly, I need to use the 09+ canyon/ Colorado OS so I can keep all the factory "junk" which, will most likely come with automatic transmission programming.
    Is there any way to use the manual transmission with hptuners and the Colorado v8 OS?

Sure, if you can find a VIN from one of the trucks that was actually built by GM and then get an E67 SPS-programmed with a stock calibration for that VIN. HP Tuners couldn't put a stock calibration on it even if you had a stock file from one with a manual transmission. 2 of the 8 segments in the Gen 4 ECM do not get read or written in HP Tuners, as it was never meant to be a replacement for reprogramming tools. It's for editing what's already there.

You need to find a real VIN from a real manual trans truck to do this, after that it's fairly straightforward. Finding a VIN will be the hard part.

Although... car-part.com disagrees with other parts sites that have a manual transmission section for '09-'12 Colorado/Canyon V8s.

screenshot.11-04-2023 00.05.21.png

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Sure, if you can find a VIN from one of the trucks that was actually built by GM and then get an E67 SPS-programmed with a stock calibration for that VIN. HP Tuners couldn't put a stock calibration on it even if you had a stock file from one with a manual transmission. 2 of the 8 segments in the Gen 4 ECM do not get read or written in HP Tuners, as it was never meant to be a replacement for reprogramming tools. It's for editing what's already there.

You need to find a real VIN from a real manual trans truck to do this, after that it's fairly straightforward. Finding a VIN will be the hard part.
    After talking to my local gm dealership and a few technicians, I am convinced that if such a unicorn exists, its very,very unlikely I will never obtain a VIN for one. So with that being said blindsquirrel, is it ridiculous to think that a 2010+ cts-v, camaro manual transmission OS flashed into my ecm (e67 service#12636659) could work with my gauges, AC system? I'm really stuck on keeping the factory stuff to the point where I am considering ditching the AR5 manual transmission in favor of a 4l60e or 4l80e so the computer/gauges/ac will co-operate (using the colorado 5.3 OS) but if I catch even a hint of a possibility of making this all work (with a manual transmission and retaining the factory stuff), Im willing to try it. thoughts?
    Last edited by Quik4g63; 04-12-2023 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Im an idiot

Keep the stock ECM to run the gauges/ABS/airbag/etc. and piggyback an aftermarket ECU to control the engine if you absolutely must, MUST, have a manual trans. If you absolutely must use only one computer to control everything use an auto trans and program everything as if it were a stock V8 truck.

Potential Tuner

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Keep the stock ECM to run the gauges/ABS/airbag/etc. and piggyback an aftermarket ECU to control the engine if you absolutely must, MUST, have a manual trans. If you absolutely must use only one computer to control everything use an auto trans and program everything as if it were a stock V8 truck.
    Alright. Thanks for your help with this. I think this will be my first and last foray into gen4 swapping.