Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Holden Commodore 6.0L tuning issues

Tuner in Training

2008 Holden Commodore 6.0L tuning issues

Hi Guys, new to tuning with hp and especially the e38 ecm. i have tried multiple searches and still cant work out why the longest i can get this car to run is when it is stone cold, itll idle all day on first startup, however when i apply the throttle the vehicle shuts down, and when i restart itll run for a couple seconds then shutdown again. no matter what i try and do settings wise its like the car remains in closed loop fuelling also.
    car is 2008 Commodore 6.0l
    232,234 cam
    on e85 with a turbo.
    any help would be muchly appreciated as i am new to this platform, i usually tune aftermarket ecus. thanks heaps guys
    Attached Files Attached Files

What injectors are you running?

Are you running a flex fuel sensor?

I ask these two questions because the tune says it's not running a flex fuel sensor and the tune also shows that you just maxed out the injector flow rate instead of scaling the tune for the larger fuel injectors.

Obviously a large work in progress here. Like that timing curve would grenade this engine trying to run 30 degrees on a turbo. It also probably needs more base running airflow.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Are you running a MAF?

Tuner in Training
    im not running a maf as turbo, the ignition map is still as it was with the na tune, no flex fuel sensor and ill check the base running airflow, what would you suggest? thanks for your assistance

Tuner in Training

recap

so to cap
    no maf
    880cc injectors
    dedicated e85 so no flex sensor
    turbo map will load updated current tune
    i was logging ign advance when the vehcle shut down again.
    it seems to run/idle fine, i give it a few small revs while its warm and then it feels as if its in power reduction mode and shuts off, wont start again untill i clear codes (only codes logged on vcm are maf errors)
    once ive cleared the codes itll start and run again but only for a couple seconds before switching off. if i leave the vehicle for 45 mins or so to cool off, shell then run and idle mint until she has temp in her and i rev it again.
    its starting to really irk me, every time i feel im starting to get somehwere it likes to throw me a curve ball haha.
    im also struggling to get the vehicle to stay in open loop unless i turn off closed loop command in vcm scanner.
    any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks heaps guys

Tuner in Training
    In -engine diagnostics- airflow- max out the P0068 enable rpm table and set the min ECT to 125C for P0101, P0106 and P0121
    Last edited by crew chief; 06-28-2022 at 09:23 PM.

If the injectors came with all the data that is good but you still need to scale the tune for the oversized injectors. Those computers have a limit of 63.5lb/hr.

To get around that you will double the stoich table, half the injector flow rate and half the IVT terms. So for example if the injectors are 80lb/hr, you'd put in 40lb/hr instead with the double stoich method.

The closed loop temp setting is still set to 131 degrees, raise that up to 280 degrees and it will stop going into closed loop.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    at 11.46 20sec mark is where you can see the power reduced mode, im applying throttle and being limited to 2400ish rpm. thanks crew cheif ill have a look into that. thanks for the tip

Tuner in Training
    thanks again 5fdp, will the double stoich method affect any of the shifting with the auto box at all? may be a noob question, im just premptively trying to understand any further changes i may have to make if i go double stoich.

It doesn't change anything with the transmission. It's just scaling the stoich to fit the large injector size. Everything else basically stays the same and just tune with the wideband in Lambda because AFR doesn't really work when the stoich says 29.4.

Tuner in Training
    too easy ill look at that next, ill do a search and find a run through, whereabouts is the setting for the o2 that states 131 deg? i cant find where that figure is to adjust it, thanks for being patient with me i am new to hp as i stated, im ever appreciative of this forum, the people in it and theyre ability and willingness to help

Tuner
    Max out this table
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner
    Max these out too and cut the boosted areas of your high and low spark tables down as previously stated, something like 10 or 11 degrees until you get the tune sorted before something goes pop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    your maf is not failed correctly and dtc's not set correctly for a mafless tune
    i see a number of things also that are questionable in that tune
    ltft and 02 settings the ve table especially above 4000rpm would have me concerned i would also question the hi/low spark table its definitely not stock

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the feedback guys, i havent started tuning as such yet clusterfunk, im more trying to sort the idle and throttle issues which after the suggestions here seem to have sorted all my issues, i just roughly plotted extra fuelling for the boost section of the map, as i hadnt touched it from the na file since applying the 2 bar patch.
    ill attach my current tune file to this reply as i am going to start dialling in on my dyno on monday.
    after applying the suggestions on this thread, my commanded eq ratio in the scanner dosnt move off of 1 lambda which i dont like and im trying to work that out now.
    also i setup a table for spark advance that follows the parameters of the spark table in the tuning software but now the ute dosnt move off the 0.8g/sec cylinder airmass axis on the chart in the scanner also.
    i feel so close and yet so far, im sorry if im being annoying, new to hp, not to tuning i usually deal with haltech and link ecus and find them more user friendly, so i very much appreciate your guys assistance.
    current tune file attached, if theres any further suggestions before i start on the rollers

Senior Tuner
    u still have to scale for the injectors, also if ur running e85 all the time with no sensor u have to set the stoich to suit 9.765 and i can assume u have a manifold referenced fuel pressure regulator 1:1 ? as the offset and IFR are flatlined, u also have to set the pressure to suit the flow of the injectors as well are the 880cc at 400kpa or 300kpa which then u know which data to use in the tables

Tuner in Training
    also 07gts, ill have to double check injector data, i know what youre saying with the stoich, if my injector data is above the parameters, should i employ the double stoich of ethanol and half afr table? so double stoich of 19.53 for ethanol and half afrs? would that be correct thinking? i also ent over my power enrichment tables and touched them up abit to see if that helps

Tuner in Training
    half ifr* it was supposed to read

Senior Tuner
    yep double the 9.765 when u scale, also disable cat temp and desoot mode

Senior Tuner
    also if ur fixed fuel pressure or referenced changes things as well