Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VE tuning... I can't believe its this hard.

Senior Tuner
    If you look at the help file, it tells you those values are the raw engineering units (in grams/kelvin IIRC). Where as in LS1, most tuning solutions (HPT included) calculated those raw numbers vs the cylinder volume to give us a % of efficiency (VE). They made it easier for us to understand the fueling results. This is what I recall from Chris many posts about the VE tables LS1 vs. LS2.

Advanced Tuner
    Then they need to fix the paste special multipy by feature for LS2's so other people don't drive themselves crazy like I have.
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    Then they need to fix the paste special multipy by feature for LS2's so other people don't drive themselves crazy like I have.
    Agreed. I have wasted a lot of time on this ve tuning. I have been using the (x .25) method and it is still overshooting. I'm going to try (x .125) and see how that works.

Redhardsupra, if you would like to try adapting your spreadsheet and need any logs, etc... let me know what you need. It would be great to have this working.

Senior Tuner
    sure, i'll try to have it tonight, but i'm working on something much bigger so it might get postponed. if you got any good log/scan tuples for both before and after changes, that'd be helpful. email them to me, my email is in all the tools i've released.

Advanced Tuner
    uh oh...marcin is on to something else

Potential Tuner
    You could create a "user defined" PID that is AFR error % devided by 2, or 4 if you prefer. The formula should look something like this "(100*([SENS.120]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121])/2". Then you use this new PID in your histogram. Now your AFR Error % histogram will show half the AFR Error %.

Scott

Senior Tuner
    that's a good idea (custom pid) but the problem here is that LS2 people dont understand their VE, so we gotta figure out how it works first before we go changing them by an arbitrary number

Advanced Tuner
    I still have the same issue with my LS1. Think my issue is a combo of a crazy crappy LC1 that wigs out almost every time, but also the huge temperature sweeps here in NJ. Every hour its a different temp, and there is no way for me to get the VE scaled correctly for every cell, and then get the MAF done correctly afterwards in the same temp bracket. Insult to injury, they should be changing over to the oxegenated fake fuel I call it pretty soon here

Oh, and this is even with the Bias set to 1, doesn't help me that much.
    2002 BSM T/A WS6 #3371 (Sept 12, 2002) "LOB"
    TSP Tqr II (232/234 113lsa +2), ETP Heads, FAST 90/NW 90, 42#SVO, 25% Powerbond Pulley, FLP catted LT's, B&B Tri-Flo, QTEC, Smooth bellows, Fast Toys 85mm lid & Grn Filter, Lou's SS, LG SFC's + X Braces, LG LCA's, LG PHB, LG DSSL, LG TA, Koni SA's lowered, Z06 Front brakes, Earl's SS lines, IForged Classics (18x9.5" F, 18x10.5" R) & very big and expensive stereo... (Eclipse, Zapco, Focal, Lotus)

Advanced Tuner
    After 3 months of dicking with my LC-1, I decided to upgrade to the LM-1. I haven't heard anything bad about the LM-1. Then maybe I'll be able to do somet real tuning. They allowed me to return it and apply the money toward the LM-1.

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having better luck with the LS2, now. I have been taking baby steps, instead of shooting all over. The last correction I multiplied the error % by .125. Things are in way better control slowly changing the ve map.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreFWD
    I'm having better luck with the LS2, now. I have been taking baby steps, instead of shooting all over. The last correction I multiplied the error % by .125. Things are in way better control slowly changing the ve map.
    there shall be no fear, cause I is here!
    seriously tho, i'm beta testing a new LS2 VE tuning spreadsheet, so you wont have to do any of that stuff by hand.

Advanced Tuner
    Red, you should be a math consultant for HPT because they obviously are ignoring this problem with LS2 VE's.

The spreadsheet Red is working on is sweet. I don't understand it, but its sweet!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by redhardsupra
    there shall be no fear, cause I is here!
    seriously tho, i'm beta testing a new LS2 VE tuning spreadsheet, so you wont have to do any of that stuff by hand.
    This would be much appreciated.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge here and on your tuning blog. It has been helpful.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    Red, you should be a math consultant for HPT because they obviously are ignoring this problem with LS2 VE's.

The spreadsheet Red is working on is sweet. I don't understand it, but its sweet!
    I am also suprised that someone from HPT hasn't chimed in. Maybe they are just busy.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I know this is an old thread but want anyone who reads this to understand there is no problem with the scaling of the E40 pcm(LS2's for you all). Because the multiply by % is just that everything you do is scaled identically...no matter if your multiplying a whole number or a % or whatever its all directly proportional and you will wind up with the same result no matter how you look at it. Dougs wording I think got you confused, but he was trying to get across no matter what numbers you use it WILL always scale the same.

Here's a link to the final logic on this http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9509 so you understand.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"