Thread: 2017 Mustang GT IMRC control

2017 Mustang GT IMRC control

Seems after a 5th revision, the guy who was tuning my car at VMP was fired, and left me high and dry with a crap tune. Anyways, long story short, I had to revert to a pre IMRC delete (cause I went with a 18+ intake manifold) tune just to get the car to run well. So if you guys could indulge me i have a few questions, since i'm running the intake and the CEL is showing the typical INRC out of range/not functioning p-codes. My tuning device allowed me to raise the RPM limit, 2-4k ignition timing, 4-7k ignition timing, and GLOBAL timing so;

1. At what RPM does the IMRC goes full open ?
    2. What other compensating factors is required when going IMRC delete? ignition timing ? Cam timing ? Both ?
    3. Is it ok to run 'as is' for now? There's just some slight bucking under 2000 rpm, and sometimes it stalls when coming to a stop.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by WildHorse; 09-24-2021 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added additional info

Little bump (sorry) .

what tuning device you have ?
    Turbocharged COYOTE

PM for E tune / Remote Tuning
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by small tuner View Post
    what tuning device you have ?
    i2. But at this point of time I'm seriously considering the hp tuners RTD. JUst waiting for android support.

You need a way to change the tune itself. Not sure if the RTD device allows that over the mpvi2 for the end user. Usually its best to log the issue, then post tune and log for others to critique.

You can learn all the needed changes with time and searching here. And the mpvi2 would be your last running device. But if your planning to pay other tuning shops its not likely the tune will be unlocked for others to critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim5.0 View Post
    You need a way to change the tune itself. Not sure if the RTD device allows that over the mpvi2 for the end user. Usually its best to log the issue, then post tune and log for others to critique.

You can learn all the needed changes with time and searching here. And the mpvi2 would be your last running device. But if your planning to pay other tuning shops its not likely the tune will be unlocked for others to critique.
    It's unlocked. If you wanna take a gander at it I'll post up the tune.

Advanced Tuner
    It's not unlocked.

Bite the bullet and buy a MPVI2. Making the manifold drive well is easy, keep IMRC and reset the parameters for them. No other changes needed.

Then learn how to tune.

Advanced Tuner
    what are you talking about as in resetting parameters for the imrc'S?

Advanced Tuner
    Use the pig tails and change the settings in Airflow>IMRC>sensor configuration to the values from a 17 car.
    Then go to Airflow>speed density>dynamic airflow and change that to the volume of the 18 manifold.

That will make it drive good enough for most people, Worst thing I ran into was a SLIGHT hitch at idle tip in. Then you can go on and tune around it. I'm trying to learn that process right now. I'm a picky person who hates electric throttle and just those settings I can enjoy my car. To take advantage of the manifold I would raise the shift point to 7200 to 7400 RPM assuming auto. My rev limiter is 8000 cause I never want to hit it.

I'm not saying that is a perfect way to do it but it will drive like the stock manifild

Advanced Tuner
    oh i thought you were mentioning other then the 18 an dup manifolds to where the imrc is deleted like on a cj or boss

post the tune wildhorse. i suspect its locked but lets see

Ive found the fine tuning on the 18 mani is the SD not being accurate on the IMRC opening, there is a moment of it clipping the inhg limit. kind of a pain to actually tune out because its in the transient when 10 mapped points are being used. i have usually found it occurring at heavy throttle and sub 3krpm. im a mt car so im not usually lugging it at <1500rpms but could see that being a common area for an auto.

using an external map sensor pipped through the ac pressure sensor input makes SD pretty simple. but each mapped point needs to be locked out and done 1 by 1. the editors SD calculator works quite well. and throttle feel is really really smooth once things are closer to accurate with this manifold.