Thread: 2011 GT500 knock at high load+rpm

2011 GT500 knock at high load+rpm

I have been doing some very light tuning on my car and alot of logging and research. I am noticing that I am getting a bit of knock retard at high loads over 5k rpm, this usually occurs while spark source is Borderline. I was seeing this KR with the stock tune and my slightly modified tune so I added octanium to a tank of 91 octane. This didn't really seem to help at all and leads me to wanting to reduce timing by a degree in these cells to see how it affects it.

A majority of the info I can find on this is related to Coyote engines and my 5.4 does not have variable cam timing. Would i be correct in thinking I just need to reduce the timing in the 5k and 6k high load cells in Spark>Borderline>Mapped Point 0? I am unsure but it looks like the other Mapped Points as well as Optimum Power are disabled since I have no VCT.

I am not that experienced at reading these logs or tuning these cars so I am not even sure if this behavior is expected. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rootednode; 08-05-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Correct. Make sure other modifiers aren?t adding either. With 93 octane, 18 degrees is regarded as ?safe?. May wanna go to 16-17 with 91.

Tuner in Training
    But you only have to do this for upper load, like at 1.6 and above. Leave higher spark alone at low loads. But nothing at higher loads should be above what I posted.

This is the stock spark table.
    stocksparktable.PNG

I would have expected the stock tune to be pretty safe. Do you think the cells I boxed in should be reduced that much? I was thinking something more along the lines of a degree or two at a time and see how it goes.
    Last edited by rootednode; 08-06-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I would. You can always work your way back up vs rebuild the motor. If you have knock it?s for a reason. I?m not sure Ford ever went into the 20s sparkwise. The only ones I know is Kenne Belle but they dump fuel in there to compensate or the other tunes I?ve seen is SCT canned.

That is the stock spark table though, I have compared it to other stock tunes in the repository and it matches up. I am probably going to try something like this to see if I see any KR.
    modifiedborderline.PNG
    I was kind of wondering if it is false knock because the car runs great but I don't want to take any chances. I cant really find any modified tunes for a stock car, the ones I have been able to find are for more boost with a smaller pulley or TVS and they usually run 18 degrees peak.
    Last edited by rootednode; 08-06-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I checked a stock 2011 tune and you are right, the stock timing is 21. I guess they got more aggressive because the car actually has knock sensors. Mine is an 08. No knock sensors or factory widebands like yours. My tune has to be a bit more conservative. That being said though, most all agree on the GT500 forums that I frequent, that 18 degrees should be the max. 19 if you are trying to push it at the track. This has been frequently said by a guy who worked for VMP and now does his own tuning. I'd rather be safe than fight for that extra 5hp, but I know how wanting a max effort goes. The other catch, is that those numbers are recommended for 93 octane. I think that guy only loads 19 degrees when running race fuel, but then again, he's running higher boost and so am I with a TVS. I suppose you can try it out just to see if the knocking goes away. The other issue may be your sparkplugs depending on heat range or gap. So your car is stock?

My car is stock other than a c&r heat exchanger and gauges. Last night I pulled some timing out of the high rpm/load baseline and added the ability for the knock sensors to pull more timing out.
    reducedtimingtables.PNG

I got a fresh batch of shell 91 octane and did some more logging this morning. It still pulls a bit of timing out.
    example.PNG
    morningrun3.hpl

Ill probably pull the plugs today and give them a look, they are tr6ix I put in a couple months ago.

I pulled the plugs this morning and did a compression test. Plugs look great other than some orange dust from the octanium.

Compression test:
    1: 181 2: 170
    3: 173 4: 173
    5: 172 6: 173
    7: 175 8: 178

Tuner in Training
    On the datalog, just noticed your timing is 24! The inferred octane is 95. The octanium raises the inferred octane, and there may be some added timing because of that. Maybe edit the octane modifier section so it won?t add timing that it later has to remove.
    Also, check/change fuel filter since plugs look good