Thread: Fan issue

Potential Tuner

Fan issue

Hi guys, have e38 Gen 4 ls 6.0.
    As soon as engine cracks and starts the fan starts and run continuously until I turn the ign off. I have just 1 fan it's a thermo fan not pwm. I have played around with settings, if I change it to 1 fan, it doesn't come on at all even with reaches temp. Please help this is frustrating.

Do you want to play 20 Questions or do you think it might go smoother (less frustrating!) if you tell us what you're working on, post the tune file, and describe your fan wiring setup?

Potential Tuner
    thanks Blindsquirrel, here is my tune. I have been playing with the fan setup for over 1 week, cannot work it out.

Potential Tuner
    sorry, try now.
    the its just a single thermofan (not PWM) I can turn the fan on through the HP tuners using fan 2. But I can not get the ecu to trigger the relay once it hit the desired temp.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by manny79; 06-30-2021 at 05:54 PM.

Your State vs Desired is '0'. Meaning 0 or greater in any cell in the Desired % tables will turn the fan on. Your Output Control vs State is all '0's. You should have a 0 for State 0 to make the fan turn off, and 1 for State 1 to make it turn on. I don't understand why these settings were changed.

Try this. I simply copied in settings from a stock Holden somethingorother file with relay fans. The leftover settings for Fan2 do not matter, it's not being used and the output pin isn't being activated (all '0's in the Output vs Current State).
    mann1 fans.hpt

The changes to the State vs Desired table means it should turn Fan 1 on with anything in the Desired % cell of 50 or higher, and turn it off with 25 or less.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks blind squirrel, will the Desired vs ECT need to change now thought o reflect the numbers in state V desired? Ill give it a try anyhow and fingers crossed.

Dunno, it will depend on, basically, everything about the cooling system and how well it works, and how you want the fan to behave, and your climate, and probably other stuff too. Normally requires tweaking and fiddling, there is no right or wrong as long as it does what you want.

Tuner in Training
    I had the same issue with the fan running continuously. Do you have A/C? Is your A/C gassed? Is the A/C pressure sensor connected? Check the readings in the VCM Scanner.

I found that after getting my AC hoses connected but not gassed, there was a low pressure reading at the sensor. This caused the single fan to run flat out non-stop. Disconnected the A/C sensor anf everything worked as it should.

His % vs AC table is already all zeroes.