Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, another "look at this for a new guy" thread

Sorry, another "look at this for a new guy" thread

I have a 2000 C-5 that I had tuned by a local tuner. After a few trips, even with my limited tuning knowledge, I became somewhat skeptical of his methods. So, I decided to look for myself and bought HP Tuners. I have a few things I knew were wrong. For example, I had 28 degrees of timing at idle and I don't have an aftermarket cam. Most of the things I changed, I put back stock. I feel it is better to start over than to keep working around a bad tune.
    Now for my question. Before I started logging my LTFTs, I noticed that my IFR numbers were lower than stock, which I assumed was telling the PCM that I had smaller injectors than stock. I put this back to stock and logged LTFTs until they were right. I then went to the WOT PE tuning. When I got to about 5800 rpm, the car shut down and threw codes for ABS & traction control and it went into reduced power mode. I cleared the codes and headed home. When I looked at my log file, it showed my injectors were at 105% duty cycle at 5800. I changed my IFR back to the original settings and it changed my LTFTs, so I am starting over now. So, why are my IFR settings lower than stock?
    I thought about just going back completely stock and starting over, but now I'm not even sure about that. I do need to go get the original stock tune from the original tuner, but he is an hour away and I just haven't done it yet. He was using LS1Edit, will I be able to read his file in HP Tuner?
    My mods are: LTs, x-pipe, Corsas, no cats, ported TB and MAF, Blackwing
    Last edited by 2000C-5; 11-30-2006 at 09:24 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000C-5
    will I be able to read his file in HP Tuner?
    im confused, what is the file you posted?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    im confused, what is the file you posted?
    The file I posted is what is in my car now. I just want to make sure everything is not completely out of whack before I start tuning on it. I don't know what was changed by him, but I do know some of it was way wrong.
    Originally the car was tuned with LS1Edit by someone else, so if I go get my original tune before anything had been done to it, from him, will I be able to read it in HP Tuner?

Basically, what I am asking is, do I need to get the original stock tune from the original tuner or is what I have now ok to start tuning on?

I don't know what all he changed, but it didn't run well or idle well, especially with 28 degrees of timing at idle. I am trying to get to a decent starting point instead of trying to tune on something that is screwed up and will end up making me start over again.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I always recommend starting fresh with the stock file that way you know what is in there.

I always recommend starting fresh with the stock file that way you know what is in there.
    Did you want to just chat or were you going to answer one of my questions?

The IFR table is set much lower than stock and if I put it back to stock the injectors hit 105% duty cycle and shut the car down at 5800 rpm, why?

He tuned it with LS1 edit. Is his LS1 edit file going to transfer over to HP Tuner or would I be wasting my time going to get it?

Is this forum the only tech support?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've had no problems reading & writing UNLOCKED ls1edit files with hptuners. Are you throwing a code when the car shuts down?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would say your P1514 is probably the issue when your car shuts down...it seems vettes are a little more sensative when it comes to this table, even with just bolt on's...most just raise this table up by a certain percent, 10%, 20%, 50% or just max it. Personally I don't tune vettes so I really havent run into the p1514 issue too often.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Just to let you know this is a Speed density tune but not utilizing a custom operating system which means you don't have the added protection of the low octane timing table and you've got 1/2 resolution using the secondary VE table, not sure if you realized that so im just pointing that out.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 11-30-2006 at 11:11 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    also looks like dfco is not activated which probably wont help gas mileage much. Anything else?

I just re read my last post.It sounded kind of snappy, didn't mean for it to. I know you guys go through this crap all the time.

I've had no problems reading & writing UNLOCKED ls1edit files with hptuners. Are you throwing a code when the car shuts down?
    I didn't have any problem reading the file from the PCM, but if I get the original file off the tuners laptop, I don't know what format it is in or if HP will be able to change it into an .hpt file.

I would say your P1514 is probably the issue when your car shuts down...it seems vettes are a little more sensative when it comes to this table, even with just bolt on's...most just raise this table up by a certain percent, 10%, 20%, 50% or just max it. Personally I don't tune vettes so I really havent run into the p1514 issue too often.
    I believe raising it up is what caused the problem. If, by raising it up you mean making the numbers bigger. I just put it back to stock settings according to one of the .bin files on Horists site. I haven't found a lot of info on the IFR tables yet, so that area is still a little cloudy for me.

Just to let you know this is a Speed density tune but not utilizing a custom operating system which means you don't have the added protection of the low octane timing table and you've got 1/2 resolution using the secondary VE table, not sure if you realized that so im just pointing that out.
    Yea, I was tuning for VE and had gotten all the LTFTs correct. When I started to do WOT is when the problem came up. My redline is 6500 rpm and the injectors maxed out at 105% at 5800 rpm, when they should be at 80% at 6500 rpm. I plan on going back to MAF as soon as I can get past this. As soon as I go back to CL, the low octane table and secondary VE will be fine, correct?
    Last edited by 2000C-5; 11-30-2006 at 11:54 AM.

also looks like dfco is not activated which probably wont help gas mileage much. Anything else?
    DFCO will be activated also. I just have everything off while tuning VE.

Tuner
    Go to the bin repository and download a stock tune. Compare the stock tune to your tune. Call the tuner and ask about every single change he made and why the change was made.
    Your spark advance tables are a little scary(to me).
    The help section, in the program, has a lot of tech info - try reading and understanding what is there.
    If you can't get in touch with the tuner - load in a stock tune and start over.
    03 LS-1 Vette, LGM Longtubes, BillyBoat Bullets, Halltech Stinger, Shaner ported & polished TB, LC-1 WB, Elite E2 Plate, BPP Shifter, DTE 4:10

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I just re read my last post.It sounded kind of snappy, didn't mean for it too. I know you guys go through this crap all the time.
    yes we do lol, thanks for being understanding.

I didn't have any problem reading the file from the PCM, but if I get the original file off the tuners laptop, I don't know what format it is in or if HP will be able to change it into an .hpl file.
    hptuners can only view/edit .bin & .hpt format files...ls1edit files are in .ls1 format if im not mistaken so no hptuners would not be able to decompress their file format.

I believe raising it up is what caused the problem. If, by raising it up you mean making the numbers bigger. I just put it back to stock settings according to one of the .bin files on Horists site. I haven't found a lot of info on the IFR tables yet, so that area is still a little cloudy for me.
    personally I think your hitting the p1514 limit, could be wrong though, wouldnt be the first time.

Yea, I was tuning for VE and had gotten all the LTFTs correct. When I started to do WOT is when the problem came up. My redline is 6500 rpm and the injectors maxed out at 105% at 5800 rpm, when they should be at 80% at 6500 rpm. I plan on going back to MAF as soon as I can get past this. As soon as I go back to CL, the low octane table and secondary VE will be fine, correct?
    well with stock 26lb injectors they are near static from the factory so I can understand them being maxed.

As for Closed loop, please read the stickies http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742 engine modes is the one you'll want in this case it explains open loop, closed loop, maf, no maf and what happens while in each.

Quote Originally Posted by cjs27410
    Go to the bin repository and download a stock tune. Compare the stock tune to your tune. Call the tuner and ask about every single change he made and why the change was made.
    Your spark advance tables are a little scary(to me).
    The help section, in the program, has a lot of tech info - try reading and understanding what is there.
    If you can't get in touch with the tuner - load in a stock tune and start over.
    That's what I have been doing for the last few days. In fact, I have downloaded every 97-04 corvette bin, just so I would have them with me in the laptop if I needed them for comparison purposes.

I know the timing tables are goofy, because I had 28 degrees of timing at idle, so I am assuming he copy/pasted something he already had on file from a cammed car. I don't have any knock retard though.

The only way I can get my original tune back (if he even saved it, he may have just modded it and put it back in there) would be to take it to him and have him write it into the car and then read it back with my HPT, since he uses LS1 edit.

I was attempting to load a stock tune when I ran into the problems with the IFR tables. I looked at every year corvette and mine are lower than any car in the .bin files. If I put them back to stock settings, it maxes out at 105% duty cycle at 5800 rpm. It seems to run ok with the tables like they are, so I guess I'll just leave them alone until I learn a little more.

personally I think your hitting the p1514 limit, could be wrong though, wouldnt be the first time.

well with stock 26lb injectors they are near static from the factory so I can understand them being maxed.
    I attached a couple of thumbnails showing a comparison of IFRs. It looks to me like it is saying I have 24 lb injectors.

As for Closed loop, please read the stickies http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4742 engine modes is the one you'll want in this case it explains open loop, closed loop, maf, no maf and what happens while in each.
    I'll go back to reading and let this settle. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: The one on the left is stock, on the right is mine.
    Last edited by 2000C-5; 11-30-2006 at 12:37 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    i know, i saw the ifr tables, IMO it should have nothing to do with you going into limp mode at wot.

Tuner
    Start with your current file, then open a stock file in compare - same year as yours. Go to your file - the different settings will be in green. Copy and paste from the stock file to your file until all the green settings have been changed - back to stock. Save that file with a new name - I like using the date 061130a. I use the date for log runs also. Then I can track the tune with the log run. Write the new - stock - file back to your PCM.
    03 LS-1 Vette, LGM Longtubes, BillyBoat Bullets, Halltech Stinger, Shaner ported & polished TB, LC-1 WB, Elite E2 Plate, BPP Shifter, DTE 4:10

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    or use the comparison-copy over all feature

here's a demo I made a while back on how to use it http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...soncopyall.swf

Here's a stock file for your car to compare. Everything matches from http://calid.gm.com
    Always Support Our Troops!