Thread: Evap Vent Solenoid

Tuner in Training

Evap Vent Solenoid

Hi. 1st post. I have a 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser that I swapped a LQ4 from a 2003 Denali. All readiness monitors have set except evap. Data logged today and it reports Evap Vent solenoid closed throughout a 20 minute drive.

My question is: Does "closed" mean the solenoid is stuck closed? If I recall, the vent solenoid is normally open.

Anyone?

Don

Advanced Tuner
    Closed is not venting and open is venting

Advanced Tuner
    It's just a status of operation... to test it ... command it on and off and see if you hear the solenoid click on and off and check for power if you dont ... only other way to test is to close the evap system and smoke test it and look for leaks
    Also evap tests are last to run and if you have no codes or just cleared a ses light it may take a few cold starts and normal drives to get the test to run

Advanced Tuner
    Also if it clicks on and off that means the solenoid is working but it could still be leaking if there is a evap issue

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies. My recollection is static position for the valve is open or venting. The log reporting closed or not venting may be normal as I started logging after 20 minutes of driving and maybe that is normal.

I have yet to find a definitive description of how the purge system operated for a sequence of operation perspective.

D

Tuner in Training
    Hmmm...it appears someone (cough cough) may have commanded the Evap vent solenoid closed at some point and it maintained that state.