Thread: WOT versus LockPin Timing When Cam Phaser OFF

Senior Tuner

WOT versus LockPin Timing When Cam Phaser OFF

I have a cam phaser lockout installed, and so have set all the phaser settings in my tune to disabled.

With this set that way, which timing table will WOT follow, Lockpin or WOT?

Senior Tuner
    Looks like it is tracking along to the WOT base table, but since both my tables by default were pretty similar in the upper airflows, still hard to tell. Wish we could log spark source.

Advanced Tuner
    Can you just make tables both the same so you don't have to worry since they are locked out? Spark source would be nice.

Senior Tuner
    I have reverted to making them the same, but in other OS and tunes I have seen 3 or 4 lockpin tables, PITA to have to modify all them for a locked out cam. Was just curious.

Advanced Tuner
    Why not establish a baseline for what you see with both tables matching on your regular tune, then change a specific load vs rpm range to be around 5* less than it was originally, one table at a time, and see what is logged afterwards to deduce which table is actually controlling things? Seems like it ought to be a pretty straight forward process of elimination.

Senior Tuner
    With a 1000whp setup at times only running 7-8* that’s not always a great idea.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    With a 1000whp setup at times only running 7-8* that’s not always a great idea.
    You don't have to run it in boost to determine which map is in use, though. You could do it in the lower RPM and Load range before the turbos come on. Just a thought, is all. I can understand not wanting further retard timing when it is already as low as it is, and at such a high power level.