Thread: blue screen when reading vcm

Tuner in Training

blue screen when reading vcm

Yesterday i got a windows blue screen of death while trying to read my pcm.. when restarting my computer i could no longer connect to the truck. so i tried to start the truck and no go, all it would do is crank.. I was like. wtf? so i unhooked the negative cable and then i was able to start the truck and connect back to the pcm again. I triedn one more time without the high speed and i got the same thing as the first time..

what is wrong?

any help
    2001 GMC SIERRA
    HKE 408 - 11.4 @ 117 N/A
    2007 GMC SIERRA
    D1Sc @ 12#

Senior Tuner

Re: blue screen when reading vcm

Sounds like a problem with your PC.

Email me with your PC specs, and the returned info
    from the VCM Info program.

Ken

Also, regarding the truck not starting... how long did you wait after it crashed before you tried to start it? Was it less than 30 secs?

At what point during the read did it crash? Did the actually start (the % complete value and progress meter move from 0?) Or did it crash before that? Either way, the PCM should have reset itself in around 10 or 30 secs depending what happened. If it does it again please do the following:
    1. turn key off
    2. wait at least 60 secs
    3. start the car

Also please send us the info as Ken requested. including operating system type and service pack levels etc.

Thanks!

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

thanks for the reply

i will send the vcm info you requested when i get home.. the laptop is a Dell inspiron 1.7ghz, 384 ram, and win xp..

nothing but the basics installed, office and antivirus, aol..

on the high speed read, it gets about 5 percent done and crashes..

without the highspeed, it probably went to 45%, i dont remember,, then crashed.

i tried starting the truck after i restarted my laptop and the tuner could not find the vcm, it would say something like voltage request not found.. dont remember the exact message. so then i tried to start it, and it would just crank, so it must have been more than a minute before i tried starting the truck after the blue screen

2001 GMC SIERRA
    HKE 408 - 11.4 @ 117 N/A
    2007 GMC SIERRA
    D1Sc @ 12#

sorry, one more thing, does low speed read work ?

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

if you mean low speed, by just taking the checkmark off the highspeed,

well no that dosent either.. thats what i explained in the second post, it does go further, but not complete..

i am going to try more of this today.. i hope i dont fry my computer by doing it to much..
    2001 GMC SIERRA
    HKE 408 - 11.4 @ 117 N/A
    2007 GMC SIERRA
    D1Sc @ 12#

okay, we know what the issue is regarding the PCM not automatically resetting and will have a fix for that in the next couple of days. Note this is a *very* rare corner case.

As for the BSOD, we will await your info to try and understand this, usually it is caused by hardware conflicts such as IRQ sharing or some other conflict.

We develop using XP, W2k and Win98 on low end machines and very high end machines and have not seen this before.

thanks for your patience and understanding.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

ok, just tried this again with the low speed, total time it says will be about 10 minutes to read, it gave me the blue screen at about 25%,

what happened this time was, the truck did turn on, but it was real shaky and wanted to die out..

ahh, my second day and i cant do changes..

well i'm sending my vcm info log right after this post,,

what else would you like, a dxdiag file, or just me sending you a few specs.

edit..

just sent email to the support@hptuners email..

a beer sounds good about now..
    2001 GMC SIERRA
    HKE 408 - 11.4 @ 117 N/A
    2007 GMC SIERRA
    D1Sc @ 12#

Tuner in Training

ok, i cant see your email ken or chris, and [email protected] dosent work? came back to me,,

i need help here, who do i send this to????
    2001 GMC SIERRA
    HKE 408 - 11.4 @ 117 N/A
    2007 GMC SIERRA
    D1Sc @ 12#

I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner

rgvsierra, the intitial check of the XP crash dump files shows the faulting module to be U2S2KXPB.SYS

"Probably caused by : U2S2KXPB.SYS ( U2S2KXPB+12ed )"

This is most likely a file used by your Belkin USB adapter.
    It is not an HP Tuners file.

Our software hands to serial data request over to the Windows operating system. We do not control the hardware directly.

I also noticed your PC has had 21 crashes since this time last year from various other device drivers. There is/was a machine instability problem before you installed HP Tuners software

As we do not have the source code for the U2S2KXPB.SYS file, we cannot debug any further. Please contact Microsoft or Belkin for possible updates.

My suggestion would be to use a PCMCIA variety Serial Port adapter.

Regards,

Ken

Tuner in Training

There was 14 crashes in about a years time, 7 of them were when i was trying to read the vcm, so 14 crashes in one year, well what can i say, no machine is perfect..

my machine has no problems, i cant quite understand why you keep bringing up my pc is the problem, i said in my original email that i thought it could be the belkin..

i will try the startech pcmcia to serial adapter if not another laptop sooner..

what was the file suppose to fix i got in the email?
    2001 GMC SIERRA
    HKE 408 - 11.4 @ 117 N/A
    2007 GMC SIERRA
    D1Sc @ 12#

the patch you got fixes the VCM not resetting automatically when your machine crashes. (ie. no need to remove the fuse).

I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by rgvsierra
    i cant quite understand why you keep bringing up my pc is the problem, i said in my original email that i thought it could be the belkin..

We may be able to save somebody else a headache by posting what we find here. Or somebody else may already know of a solution with that hardware combination.

Ken

Potential Tuner

i would not bother with USB serial adapters. at the computer store i work at, these things cause so much problems. BSOD is a major thing.. Belkin is the major ones we sell, and we return ALOT of them..

I would advise to get a cheap laptop from ebay that has serial ports, or buy the pcmcia serial cards... the usb to rs232 adapters are just crap.

If you are up on Autotap, alot of people run into the same problems... so its not the computer, not the software, just a crappy peice of hardware and really bad drivers and support.
    2001 Turdbo Grand Prix GTP - 10.41@132
    Videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/jdredd34

Tuner in Training

yup you are right,

the hardware did work with autotap 99% of the time, but on occasion it didnt,

i just got my startech pcmcia to serial, today, uses com 5 and 6, the hptuner picked it up right away and read the vcm in 2minutes and wrote to it in 27 secs..

now i'm really liking this thing..
    2001 GMC SIERRA
    HKE 408 - 11.4 @ 117 N/A
    2007 GMC SIERRA
    D1Sc @ 12#

Fantastic, thats great news.

We got this guy Not Sure, ...