Thread: LQ4 Installed in S10, Crank No Start Help Appreciated

Potential Tuner

LQ4 Installed in S10, Crank No Start Help Appreciated

First of all if this is not posted in the correct location please let me know and I'll move or delete and re-post. I'm very new to HP Tuners and have just started to use the software and hardware. I installed the LQ4 and 4L80E from a 2002 Silverado that ran great when I pulled the engine (it is completely stock internally) into my 2001 S10 which had the 2.2L 4cyl. When I took the below log everything was connected in the Current Performance wiring harness except for the AC pressure switch. I have about 12" of exhaust pipe downstream of the O2 sensors for now and I'm using the MAF sensor that came with the 2500. The only engine sensor I replaced was the MAP because I broke it, I did use the GM part number and ordered the cheap one on Ebay Hopefully that isn't the problem.

I apologize if some of the info is missing from the log you would like to see, I added a few things that seemed important but didn't have time to review other threads at the time to determine what all might be needed. Something I noticed was the crank RPM on the log is low, I don't know if there is a minimum to signal it to start, but the battery was fully charged and is less than a year old. could someone have a look at the tune and log and give me a better idea on where I need to focus my attention before I pull out the rest of my hair?

A couple of other odd things I'm trying to understand, I noticed on the tune I can't see a lot of the things to adjust such as the PE enable RPM or TPS, I believe I licensed the computer in the truck but when I logged into HPT I noticed it still said I have 8 credits left. I don't have internet access in my shop could that be what is causing some of my issues, or can ya'll tell if it is licensed?

If there is anything else you need from me please let me know and thank you very much for your help.
    JB

Crank no strat.hpl
    Factory Stock Edit vats fans evap etc.hpt

Tuner in Training BrandonHall10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmatth View Post
    A couple of other odd things I'm trying to understand, I noticed on the tune I can't see a lot of the things to adjust such as the PE enable RPM or TPS...
    You're probably still in "basic" view. Go: Edit>View>Advanced.

Does it have fuel pressure and spark?

Your setup sounds very similar to mine. '02 LQ4/80e into a '97 S10.

Potential Tuner
    I'm sure that is what it is on the view, I remember reading that a while back but have slept since then. I can hear the fuel pump kick on but I haven't verified pressure at the rail, I need to borrow a tester. I also can't test spark just yet, I'm the only one awake when I do most of the work before I head in to work for the day, 2-5am. I'll pick up a spark tester today so I can more easily test alone along with the fuel pressure test kit. Thanks for the info on Advanced View.

JB

Potential Tuner
    I believe I found out the problem with the no start I picked up a noid light kit yesterday on my way home along with a fuel pressure test kit. Well I found the problem I believe...

I wasn't getting any fuel pressure up to the rails, but I could hear the pump running. I went back to the filter and first removed the return line which immediately gave me a face full of fuel and soaked my clothes. I put out my cigar and turned off the butane torch I was holding and went to rinse off. So apparently the S10 has a 5/16" supply to the filter and a 3/8" out of the filter to the engine. There is also a 3/8" return with the same style fitting at the filter. So naturally I bought a 3/8" in and out filter and hooked it up accordingly which was wrong. I'll pick up the right filter today and update my notes, fingers crossed it'll fire tonight. Then I can truly concentrate on the tuning side of things like I'd initially planned.

Tuner in Training BrandonHall10's Avatar
    Hmmm...

I have all 3/8" supply connections and 5/16" return connections. I used -6an for all the lines though.

Potential Tuner
    Well that turned out to be the problem, for whatever reason the supply from the pump is 5/16" to the filter. I installed filter BF1170 that is 5/16" in and 3/8" out, that feeds -6AN up to the rail, -6an return to the original 3/8" return. Go figure, but all is well now and it runs like a top. I'll start digging into the tuning much more but will mostly read and test rather than bug others with the same questions over and over.

JB