Thread: Foot to floor = rev limiter. Why?

Tuner in Training BrandonHall10's Avatar

Foot to floor = rev limiter. Why?

Details: 2002 LQ4/80e in '97 S10. Full Transgo HD2 kit.

Trans tune is mostly stock, other than Gear/Tire Wizard changes for different rear ratio and tire size. I also made some changes to the Part Throttle Shift tables in an effort to fix my problem, but it didn't help.

Scenario: From a dead stop; Floor it, or roll into it and it will run through the gears perfectly. Mostly spinning, but it shifts to the next gear without tagging the limiter. First and second for sure. Not 100% certain about third though. Haven't had the opportunity to run that gear all the way out.

At around 50 mph cruising in 4th, if I stab it (>1 second from part throttle to WOT) it will drop down from 4th to first, peg the limiter and cut fuel. I feel like a dork and let off.

If I roll into the throttle at 50 mph (<1 second from part throttle to WOT) in 4th, it will drop to second, wind out, bang third and so on...

Full disclosure: I'm just starting to wrap my head around basic calibration, but the trans stuff is still way over my head. So what adjustments need to be made to prevent me from running all the way down to 1st gear when I stab the gas?

TempTune = Current truck tune
    2002_Silverado_2500HD_Base = Stock truck tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

I had the same trouble with my 6l80e when I went to 3:45,, go back into your part throttle shift table and lower your back to your base mph though out the table , if your at 50 mph and you mash the gas ,the wide open shift and actual road speed vs rpm might get it the top of wide open shift rpm and go right to the engine limter , your tire diameter (tire rev)vs gear ratio between the two changes are close ,,

Tuner in Training BrandonHall10's Avatar
    Thanks! I think I see what you're saying.

I'm going to return all the trans tables back to base, other than the speedo stuff, and see how it acts. The donor truck had 245/75-16's with a 4:10 rear. The S10 has 235/65-16's with a 3:73 gear. That's an 8% difference on tire size and 9% difference on the gear size. For a total difference of 1% from the donor drivetrain to the swapped trucks setup. I'd be willing to be the stock tables will work better.