Thread: 2001 Olds Alero VATS disable

Potential Tuner

2001 Olds Alero VATS disable

I've been primarily using HP Tuners for tuning LS1 engines. Recently, the anti-theft in my wife's car, a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero 4-cyl (I believe a Quad-4 engine?) started acting up. Every 2 days the security light will turn on, and the engine won't start. We have to resync the key to the BCM (leave the ignition on for 10 minutes) in order for the car to start. I figured it would be cheaper to disable the anti-theft function in the PCM, than to replace and reprogram the BCM.

So, my question is, can HPTuners do that on this vehicle?

Thanks,
    Nick

Potential Tuner
    It is possible to fix the problem by going to a gm dealership and having a new key cut. Your key is most likely worn and this is causing the problem. This away you will be able to keep the vats.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bobd54321
    It is possible to fix the problem by going to a gm dealership and having a new key cut. Your key is most likely worn and this is causing the problem. This away you will be able to keep the vats.
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that's the fix. We have a spare key (barely used), and when the system is 'acting up', even the spare won't start the car.

I'm very disappointed that the mods/owners of HP Tuners haven't answered my question. I've PM'd them a couple times about it, linking them to my thread, and they've ignored me. I guess the little guy doesn't deserve the same support as the 'big' guy

Sounds like the lock itself is worn out but it's a BCM problem not PCM. VATS is in the BCM on that vehicle IIRC.

HPT doesn't read/write/or program the BCM and I don't think that module will ever be added either as there are more O/S's per BCM than PCM's. (Just imagine the complexity of that little jewel! :O)

Same issue with ABS and more as there are liability issues with the ABS system.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

I've had the problem with my security light and the no start issue. Probably your ignition switch... got mine replaced and all was good
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

On our 02 impala, it was the BCM that needed replaced. It showed the security light, and from time to time the radio would lock out.