Thread: My apologies for being dense, but is a File licensed or a Vehcile licensed?

Potential Tuner

My apologies for being dense, but is a File licensed or a Vehcile licensed?

Please forgive my confusion on licensing, but after searching my questions, and licensing is quite a subject, I am asking if my research is correct.

From my research it is my understanding that the initial download of the tune from a vehicle once saved and licensed is the mother tune. I can change this file's name, modify it, save it, 'save as' and write to the vehicle at anytime.

The second part of my understanding is, that if someone else is helping me tune the vehicle, this remote person has to load the file into his or her suite and save it after using a couple credits to allow changes to be saved.

This modified file, as long as it originally came from me is usable by me at anytime even if modified by someone else as long as that other person also licensed that file into his or her interface which is locked to my vehicle.

Am I correct in my learning?

Thanks

John

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Both, the file you read from the vehicle is the file you should be licensing, when you go to flash that file back to the ecm the software checks to make sure you have a license for the vehicle you are flashing said file to.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Is this is incorrect a mod can delete my post.

Think of the licensing as permission for your interface to have access rights to a VIN (how HPT identifies a particular PCM). Once you buy the access rights (license) to a file, you can do whatever you want with it from your interface. If you send the file to someone, since they are using a different interface than yours, they will also have to license it. If you locked it, only you can change things or unlock it (they will not be allowed to license it). If it is not locked and you both licensed the file then you can both make changes to it as long as neither of you locks it.

Potential Tuner
    Thank-you Atomic! That made sense and confirms what I researched.

John

Advanced Tuner
    Does VIN number matter or does it just license the file vs the pcm (serial number)?

Quote Originally Posted by anniversaryss View Post
    Does VIN number matter or does it just license the file vs the pcm (serial number)?
    Yes, it does matter.
    When you license a PCM, the license is tied to the VCM ID, OS and VIN. If you change any of the 3 you create a new combination which must be licensed again.
    This change was introduced with version 3.0, older 2.24 didn't care about VIN or OS as long as the VIN/OS pair was valid (it wasn't possible to use a Car VIN in a truck for example).
    I complained about it since I do a lot of engine swaps and the stock OS rarely fits what I need to do. I was told that they needed to increase security and also that the change was to allow VIN changes outside the traditional VIN/OS pair, however I have yet to see any benefit of this, only seen the increased credit usage, for the same work I did with 2 credits now I need 4 or 6. That's why I'm still using 2.24
    Last edited by Montecarlodrag; 03-30-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Yes, it does matter.
    When you license a PCM, the license is tied to the VCM ID, OS and VIN. If you change any of the 3 you create a new combination which must be licensed again.
    This change was introduced with version 3.0, older 2.24 didn't care about VIN or OS as long as the VIN/OS pair was valid (it wasn't possible to use a Car VIN in a truck for example).
    I complained about it since I do a lot of engine swaps and the stock OS rarely fits what I need to do. I was told that they needed to increase security and also that the change was to allow VIN changes outside the traditional VIN/OS pair, however I have yet to see any benefit of this, only seen the increased credit usage, for the same work I did with 2 credits now I need 4 or 6. That's why I'm still using 2.24
    Good to know. I need to change my VIN to my gen 2 LT1 VIN (24x). so I'm gonna need to license it I assume.
    I know hpt can't write that VIN but I have other ways.
    Bill from HPT said I shouldnt have issue licensing the VIN so hopefully things work out.

I think your best option is to first have the PCM ready with the OS and VIN already flashed to it, then read and license with HPT, it will only cost you 2 credits
    If you first license with the incorrect VIN and later change it, it will ask for 2 more credits
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    Already license it. I was under the impression that hpt didn't license mismatched VIN/OS, especially unsupported VIN but I learned they do now. HPT just can't write the VIN

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Yes, it does matter.

That is disappointing. It sure seems like licensing a VIN makes more sense. A different OS is really just a different calibration. Being able to try different OS / calibrations on a single car should cost additional credits IMO.