Thread: Hoping to get more traffic here. Need help getting smog monitors to work.

Advanced Tuner

Hoping to get more traffic here. Need help getting smog monitors to work.

Hey guys,

I originally posted this in the V6 section, but no one responded. I think the issue is the same for the V8 ECU's, and this sub forum gets more traffic, so I thought I would post up here.

My cousin recently swapped a 4.3/4L60E from a 99 Blazer into his late 80's Jeep and I am trying to help him get the car through emissions. He originally got the ECU and harness from Howell, without any of the smog equipment wired in. He has since added EGR, EVAP, secondary o2's, etc, but we cannot get the scanner to say anything but "Not Supported" on the emissions monitors. I would even be ok with "Failed" since that at least means it's set up correctly.

I downloaded a stock 99 Blazer file out of the repository, and went through it to make sure there wasn't a random DTC still disabled, and all looks good. My cousin called Howell, and they told him that we needed to "make sure the DTC's are set, and turn on the monitors". I'm not really sure what he meant by "turn on the monitors", but everything looks the same as the factory 99 tune file.

Can someone take a look and see if I am missing something? My cousin lives a couple hours away from me, so I'd like to try and figure this out before I drive out to his place.

Thanks for the help.

Here is the file that was originally in the ECU from Howell.

Jeep_4.3_Howell.hpt

Here is the file that is currently in his Jeep.

Jeep_4.3_04.hpt

And here is a stock 99 Blazer file from the repository.

99 Blazer_Stock.hpt

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advanced Tuner
    What version of HPT are you using, can't open file says I need to update my version. I was able to open the Howell file, he's correct. Go to the Engine Diag tab and compare you will see the difference.
    Last edited by DrLoch; 01-10-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry, the file in the Jeep now was made with 3.7.

The problem with the Howell file is that it doesn't have EGR, EVAP, and secondary O2's turned on. Since this car needs to get through emissions in CA, all of that stuff has been installed, wired, and the DTC's turned on, but the monitors still say they are not supported.

Advanced Tuner
    Was the Jeep 50 state compliant initially? Also, did the Jeep originally contain EGR, EVAP, and secondary O2's.
    I have a burrito in my colon, yet refried beans come out...
    How i know it's from the same meal? I didn't ingest corn any other time.

Tuner in Training BrandonHall10's Avatar
    What are the requirements for passing smog? Certainly wouldn't be an OBDII check for an 80's jeep.

Gotta just be a tailpipe sniff and visual check for cat(s), no?

They may require EGR and EVAP be physically present as they were on the original motor, but there's no way for them to check that they are functioning. I can't imagine they would require post cat O2's.

Tuner in Training BrandonHall10's Avatar
    I stand corrected:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engi...uidelines.html

Looks like it all needs to be there. Man... California... Ouch.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, lets just ignore what is needed to get the truck legal for the moment.

I just need the monitors to work for all the smog equipment on the truck.

So the file that is in the Jeep is a 1998, the one you are comparing too is a 1999. I have attached a 1998 stock file. When you compare, the dtc's are set to first error reported on the 1998. Match all of those up, you also need to set the fuel level codes as well. Those are tied into the evap monitors. AIR Pump was never enabled from the factory, so set that tab back to disabled.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Advanced Tuner
    Wow, not sure how I missed the different year...

Also, I didn't even think about the fuel level, but that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks a bunch for taking a look, I'll report back when I get a chance to make the changes.