Thread: Writing a vin with hb to the TCM.

Potential Tuner

Writing a vin with hb to the TCM.

Ok, let me preface this with the fact that this will be my first time ever even booting the laptop the tuning software is on so I am totally clueless here. Not dumb mind you, just full on ignorant. But I'd appreciate the help.

2010 Gen 4 6.2, deleted, tuned already, all that. Mismatch in operating systems between the TCM and PCM. Brian has made the decision to swap from the 80 to a 2010 6l90e. There's a few reasons for that choice.

The question I have is can I A. Write the vin from the Camaro to the 90 with this software and B. Assuming I can, could I be walked through the process please.

Thanks,
    Joe

Sorry to not answer the exact questions you are asking but.....6L80E and 6L90E use the same TCM. As you are probably aware, the 90 just has physically taller gears and a few more discs. Maybe just swapping the TCMs would be easiest.

Potential Tuner
    The problem with the current setup is a OS mismatch using the 10 Camaro PCM and the 08 Escalade tcm. While yes, swapping the tcms would solve it there's other issues including the weight of this rig, the fact it'll likely get stretched more in power output and it'll be towing.

With that Brian has decided we are going to fit the 90 in it.

I guess that and the fact no one else has done it.

Do you happen to know if this software can write the vin?

The way I understand it HPTuners can change the VIN in some PCMs as long as it meets certain criteria but I have not seen that it can write a new VIN to a TCM. I just use GM's SPS programming with an MDI for that part of things. A Tech2 w/CANdi and a good old TIS2000 database might even have your TCM agreeing with your Camaro PCM. I can't remember how far up the TIS database goes. I did a 2008 Yukon Denali BCM the other day with a Tech2/TIS2000 set-up. If it is one of the really touchy/newer GM systems I prefer to just pay ACDelcoTDS for a few days of SPS programming/newest updates and use the MDI but if you are going to use all of your own settings anyway....