Thread: Installing a vortech v3 si system on a 2002 6.0, Run MAf or SD, and how?

Potential Tuner

Angry Installing a vortech v3 si system on a 2002 6.0, Run MAf or SD, and how?

I am new to the tuning world, but I am installing a Vortech V3 S1 system on my 72 chevelle with a 2002 6.0 dbw MAF system. The Vortech system is set up for SD, but since I am not running more than 13psi I would like to run MAF. Which is better, and which could I tune? We have ZERO tuners in my area. I would like to run the OEM MAF, OEM PCM and figure I would have to upgrade my injectors, and probably MAP to maybe a SS Cobalt 2 bar MAP.
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I expect opinions on SD over MAF or vice versa. While that's awesome, I still need some tuning help. I autocross and drive my car. it isn't a straight line only chevelle.
    Also, anyone that either has done this or knows who might have and has "tune" I could start with and a setup, would be appreciated.

Open to some good help since theirs some seriously good people in the HP Forums.

Well to properly tune for boost you're going to need to use a 2 bar OS and those are designed to run without the MAF sensor.

13psi may not sound like a ton of boost but that could very well be outside the airflow limits of the factory MAF sensor anyway.

Cobalt MAP is a good choice, you'd want to run something like 42-50lb/hr injectors as those should support 450-500ish whp on pump gas. Setting up the tune to run in speed density is the easy part, would be easy to get you up and going. The rest would be just tuning the VE for boost and adjusting timing and fueling with a wideband.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner

13 psi too much for MAF

[QUOTE=5FDP;497984]Well to properly tune for boost you're going to need to use a 2 bar OS and those are designed to run without the MAF sensor.

13psi may not sound like a ton of boost but that could very well be outside the airflow limits of the factory MAF sensor anyway.

Cobalt MAP is a good choice, you'd want to run something like 42-50lb/hr injectors as those should support 450-500ish whp on pump gas. Setting up the tune to run in speed density is the easy part, would be easy to get you up and going. The rest would be just tuning the VE for boost and adjusting timing and fueling with a wideband.[/QUOTE

I think 13 psi is going to be stretching it for the MAF. From what I understand 10 PSI is max for MAF. That ok with me. The setup I have chosen should put me at a modest 8psi so I can drive it and reliably autocross the car. ON the SD option, I understand it pretty easy to convert. Install the 2 bar sensor, select the sensor in the VCM Editor, and just do not plug in the MAF (coil that plug out of the way).
    I have no experience in tuning t he VE tables. Its amazing at how few resources their have been in the area I live in for the automotive culture. Been here 9 years, in a car club and I don't know of any dynos or tuners that use HP Tuners anywhere within 2 hors drive.

I really could use some good info on steps to take to get it running so I can load it up and make a road trip for some dyno time.

So, Cobalt MAP, injectors. i have deleted the rear O2 sensors, and am only running the fronts. Not sure if they are wide or narrow band. Easy enough to change if i need to.

You would have to add the IAT sensor back in if you removed the MAF completely, the IAT sensor is built into the 5 wire MAF harness.

There are several threads on here about VE tuning, it's no more difficult that tuning in a MAF curve. Front o2 sensor are narrow bands, you would have to buy a wideband to wire into HP Tuners to tune with.

If you decide to use a 2 bar OS and go speed density this most of the setup.

Set the MAF fail high under the ENGINE diag tab to 0hz, set the 3 MAF dtc's to fail on first error. Extend the new VE table past 105kpa. You may have to copy over the stock VE for 0-105 kpa and then build the rest. Change the linear and offset settings for the MAP sensor to 200/10.33 for the cobalt MAP. Change the injector size. Setup your new boost enrichment table up to whatever you'd like to run for boost, ex: 11.4 AFR with a kpa enable of 105-110 kpa.

Lowering timing where cylinder volume will show boost, figure back it down to the low to mid teens as you get yourself going. Also copy the high octane table to the low octane table as the speed density OS only use's the low octane table.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by STS_Creations View Post

I really could use some good info on steps to take to get it running so I can load it up and make a road trip for some dyno time.
    If you would like to view a 2BAR OS P01 I can upload mine so you can see what changes are needed although im only running a 5.7 LS1 VORTECH V2 FMIC @9PSI & T56

VORTECH TUNE 1.hpt
    Last edited by luke; 09-03-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the tune for comparison. I talked with Mike from The Tuner School and a buddy that has a chassis dyno and just went back through the Tuner Classes during LS Fest. We have pretty much decided there isn't room to change the charge pipe and add the MAF, and SD would be easiest. I have ordered 60# DW injectors, a 3 bar MAP, a 340lph pump to replace my 255, and the plugs. I am also changing out the 3.6" pulley for a 3.25" to up the boost.
    We are building the tune now while the parts are due to arrive Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully this will be the right decision.