Thread: tuning a turbo LS1 with 2 Bar

Tuner in Training

tuning a turbo LS1 with 2 Bar

I have a 2002 Z 28 with a turbo setup and I am thinking of switching to 2 bar setup.

If I do this will I lose the MAF or not. I keep seeing post on here with SD tuning that says the MAf will still work,
    does this mean that I can leave it on and use it or will the 2 BAR setup eleminate it compleatly

also what is the PN for a GM 2 bar Map Sensor
    I went to City Chevrolet in Charlotte NC and asked for one for a supercharged cobalt SS and was given PN 09359409 and it works just like the stock one. when I asked if it was a 1 bar or 2 bar the parts man looked at me like I was stupid
    we put it on the car today and uploaded the 2 bar setup, started driving around and I could not tell any thing diffirent at first then the car started stalling when I gave it gas then about 15 to 20 minutes later it just died and would not do a thing
    the map would not go over 105 even with 8 pounds of boost showing on the boost guage
    I am thinking it is the wrong map sensor but I dont know

HELP

Advanced Tuner
    The MAP sensor from the cobalt SS is not 2 bar, its 2.5 bar.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

make sure you follow the directions in the help file:

http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...ters_gm_os.htm

Also, the cobalt sensor is actually 2.5bar as Shifted said and has the IAT sensor integrated into it.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Does this mean it won't work and I need a different map sensor???
    YES I followed the directions in the Help file and the map sensor acted like a one bar map sensor. If that map sensor won't work what part number do I need? The people at GM parts have no clue. Also, what about the mass air flow sensor. It acted like it was working I thought it got removed with 2 bar SD set up.
    Last edited by Darren P; 07-23-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    You could use an MSD 2 bar sensor from Summit.

Did you have the scanner set up to show 2 bar? You have to change the range values in the gauges and the graph view in order for it to show above 105 KPA.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Darren P
    Does this mean it won't work and I need a different map sensor???
    YES I followed the directions in the Help file and the map sensor acted like a one bar map sensor. If that map sensor won't work what part number do I need? The people at GM parts have no clue. Also, what about the mass air flow sensor. It acted like it was working I thought it got removed with 2 bar SD set up.
    VCM enhancements dont remove anything...they just add extra features...

you will need to log 2 bar MAP...the histogram for 2 bar will automatically show up if you have the 2 bar map in yoru table display and you will need to use a map vs rpm vs kpa table(which is the default in one of the pre configured histograms)
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    VCM enhancements dont remove anything...they just add extra features...

you will need to log 2 bar MAP...the histogram for 2 bar will automatically show up if you have the 2 bar map in yoru table display and you will need to use a map vs rpm vs kpa table(which is the default in one of the pre configured histograms)

so with the 2 BAR SD set up I still have the option of running the Mass air flow meter.

the map sensor that I got is GM Pn 093594096
    the parts man at City Chevrolet in Charlotte NC told me that it was for a Cobalt but did not know if it was 1 BAR, 2 BAR, or 3 BAR
    he did not even know what that ment
    will that work and if it will why does it not show boost
    it is showing 4.79 volts with just the ignition on and car off
    as soon as I hit boost it flatlines just like the stock one does

what part ## do I need to use

Quote Originally Posted by Shifted
    You could use an MSD 2 bar sensor from Summit.

the only one that I can find at Summit is the old style that does not work with the stock wiring or manifold

and is that part of the problem
    the sensor that I have pluged right up to the stock harness and fit into the hole on the rear of the intake

Advanced Tuner
    If its the same style as the cobalt one you need, then try the one from the J/N body 2.4 S/C. I will try to find the part number for you.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    www.SummitRacing.com
    PN# MSD-2313 3bar MAP
    PN# MSD-2312 2bar MAP
    PN# MSD-2311 1bar MAP

or

www.GMPartsDirect.com
    PN# 12223861 3bar MAP
    PN# 16040609 2bar MAP
    PN# 16137039 1bar MAP

heres some other GM stuff

1 Bar
    • GM part # 2503679
    • standard part # AS-5
    2 Bar
    • GM part # 16009886
    • Wells part # SU-129
    • standard part # AS-4
    3Bar
    • GM part # 16040749
    98 Camaro, M6, HPTuners, heads and cam

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifted
    The MAP sensor from the cobalt SS is not 2 bar, its 2.5 bar.
    It's 2.5 bar.

Some of our maps only got up to 2 bar.

Here is what the LSJ uses. Sorry I don't have the GM PN for it.
    Last edited by zinner; 07-30-2006 at 07:39 AM.
    2005 LS6 CTS-V
    2010 LP9 SRX AWD 2.8T
    SOLD: 2006 Cadillac SRX AWD V6 A5
    SOLD: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC Arrival Blue

This is a known "plug & play" 2-bar sensor
    GM P/N: 12580698
    AC Delco: 213-1631
    Always Support Our Troops!