Thread: Ls3 WOT spark advance not what commanded

Tuner in Training

Ls3 WOT spark advance not what commanded

This weekend I was tuning a 2015 Chevy Camaro LS3. I set both the high octane and the low octane spark advance tables to 15 degrees in the wide-open throttle areas. AFR, ECT, and IAT modifier tables were all set so that they would've affect the final spark advance. After doing a pull the timing advance ended up at 20-22 degrees. That's with about 6 degrees of knock retard occurring. Ended up going back to stock tune for the time being. What table could be adding advance? I have to be missing something here.

Advanced Tuner
    Post the log and tune.

check spark minimum tables

Tuner in Training
    Here is the tune file. I lost the log when laptop died, sorry. We were trying to set the spark advance to a safe level so we could lean out the PE using wideband then add timing back in slowly. We stopped when we were unable to get the advance where we wanted it. I'm confused about the minimum spark table. Is that not the minimum limit after corrections? I'm getting more timing than I put in the main tables.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I might be missing something here, but the wot area for an na car (at sea level) at least in this timing table is set to ranges from 19-24 degrees or so depending on what rpm you're looking at. I do see in an earlier revision where you set everything to 15, but there were no adders enabled in that one. What does your scanner config look like?
    Last edited by sevinn; 06-19-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I may have uploaded the wrong one. I attached it again. I had high and low tables set to 15 and all the adder tables disabled or set to zero within operating range. My laptop lost the hard drive on Saturday while I was trying to figure this out so I switched to a different laptop. Lost all my files so I just used the vehicle default scanner config plus wideband and AFR error PIDs. Logging the default spark advance and knock retard for the car. I'll probably have to get the car back over here and get you some logs. I just couldn't figure out why the timing would be higher than 15 at 3000-6000 rpm with -6 knock retard. I though maybe there was a table I missed somewhere that was adding.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ah206; 06-19-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Add every pid that has "advance" or "retard" that's available for this vehicle to the scanner just so we can see what's going on a little more clearly.

Tuner in Training
    I sure will when I can get the car back. Thanks for the help.

variable cam spark modifier - 0 that table out

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdavid11 View Post
    variable cam spark modifier - 0 that table out
    I've never seen this do anything on a non-vvt vehicle, but it doesn't hurt to 0 out for sure!

give it a shot

Tuner in Training
    I think I found it. Engine>spark>advance>spark correction>mult vs map>pe/cot correction vs map.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ah206 View Post
    I think I found it. Engine>spark>advance>spark correction>mult vs map>pe/cot correction vs map.
    Hmm, I only see a max value of .998 in that table in the most previous iteration (and the other one) that you posted. It should only add timing if you have it set over 1 somewhere.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ah206 View Post
    Your "Gas" AFR correction is already 0'd out so I don't believe this is your culprit, but it doesn't hurt to 0 it out and try. If you go under edit>view change/history logs and look at some of your past iterations you did have the gas afr correction table populated with some data, again so it could have been the culprit at that time, but in the most recent one you uploaded it is 0d out so I don't believe it should have contributed any timing. It definitely wouldn't hurt to 0 it out if you aren't using this feature though.