Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Start Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    😂

Now that is some "Pro Tuning" hahaha. I wouldn't tuners getting a good rep and being recommended by people, but what bothers me is that the people that endorse someone is people that have no idea what tuning really is. "Oh this person is great because my car runs so fast and smooth and it didn't blow up". That's basically what they base a tune off of. As for classes and then being certified to tune, that's just crazy. Anyone can take a class and tune. Not everyone can actually see stuff that baffles most people, and that's honestly what tuning is in my opinion.

My suggestion, you can learn enough from this forum, and be just as good as some of these professionals and still lack the ability to be a great tuner. At least you tried and found out, instead of paying someone else to do it. I say keep plucking away at it and see what you can do, just preferably have a backup car just in case you blow something haha.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    good ol days when everyone was a "MAF Master"
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 03-30-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    What's a MAF?

This is what I have so far. The car seems to pull pretty damn hard. But I am not sure if I am doing this right at all. I am trying to do the MAF calibrating thing now. Not sure what I am even boosting or anything. But let me know what I need to fix. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2009 Cobalt SS Turbo Sedan. Mods: K04R Turbo, K&N CAI, Injen Upper Charge, ZZP Lower Charge, TurboXS Catless Downpipe, TurboXS 3" Catback, Speed Daddy Intercooler, Forge BPV, 3 Bar MAP Sensors, B&M Short Throw Shifter, ZZP Rotated Transmission Mounts.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't have my computer open, but if you are trying to figure how to tune fueling, then you shouldn't be throwing a ton of power out of it. Just some advice.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    your boost is between 180kpa and 240kpa. the spots where it reports 180 you can bump just a tad for more pressure but the 240 zones are just about capped out. (*keep reading before making this adjustment though*)

i see you found the maf table videos or threads. you neutralized the base table properly and recorded a nice string of data on the maf curve.
    all you have to do to make a maf correction is copy the data from the scanner maf chart you set up and "paste special: Percent Half" into the maf table in the editing software.

i would run the same boost settings for now and dial in the maf sensor until the values are within roughly +/- 2%. (the scanner values are in percent already so if it reports back a anything higher than a 2 then correct the spot with the previous method)
    boost can fluctuate with fueling, so trimming the fuel into play will let us know if these boost settings are too much or too little with proper fuel.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I actually made some more changes. Let me know what you think of these. The car seems to run pretty good. The MAF needs to be dialed in still, but I am getting there. It pulls harder, but for some reason I still am not spinning the tires in second or third... I don't have that good of tires so either I ramped the boost and torque really good or something... I think I peaked at 24 PSI. I just think the car could be faster, and it should be faster even... I do have the K04R but I don't know what else I need to change for that though.. I've seen videos of people doing 60-100 and it hauls compared to what I am doing in my pulls. Like when I watch it on the Scanner afterwards it looks a lot slower. Let me know your thoughts on the updated tune, and the short log...

Also, I saw one person be able to calculate horsepower and torque by graphing it. Is that possible or was that a lie?

lOGG.hpl

KL TUNE.hpt
    2009 Cobalt SS Turbo Sedan. Mods: K04R Turbo, K&N CAI, Injen Upper Charge, ZZP Lower Charge, TurboXS Catless Downpipe, TurboXS 3" Catback, Speed Daddy Intercooler, Forge BPV, 3 Bar MAP Sensors, B&M Short Throw Shifter, ZZP Rotated Transmission Mounts.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't have my computer out, but if your MAF is close enough then doing pulls shouldn't be a big deal. If it's off too much (mostly on the top end) then you should avoid it. Sounds like it is close enough, but make sure someone reviews it and helps you out.

There are a lot of other tables that will effect power and those tables might not be setup correctly and that may be why you aren't making a ton of power. I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in after reviewing your stuff and they can give you specifics.

One thing I will say is, pay attention to the heat your car builds up. Making a solid tune isn't just about throwing power at it and then just watching AFR and trims and then saying oh those are ok so the tune must be good. Heat is a quick way to wreck an LNF. There is a lot that goes into tuning, and it's not just AFR and Fuel Trims. Make sure you learn that other stuff while you learn how to make power.

Can you explain what you mean by heat build up?

Also, my buddy bought an LS1 Camaro, big cam, upgraded throttle body, long tubes, exhaust, and I think that is it. Well, because I like how my car is running sorta I decided to do a quick pull with him an hour ago. It was a 30 pull.. But I pulled on him, and then he pulled back even and then pulled and I was at his rear bumper. He needs a retune, and obviously I am new to tuning so I am not at full power like I said but I was impressed. I think I am getting closer, so I would love someone to help look over my tune and let me know what to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboSedanSS View Post
    Hello, my name is Keith. I own a 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo Sedan. Long story short, I got the car in August, and before my father and I could work on it he passed away suddenly. I told him before he passed away that I wanted to get into tuning, and be able to tune cars on the side perhaps. I plan on buying HP Tuners Pro soon, but I am not sure how to get actually start tuning. How did y'all learn how to tune? What advice do you have for me? I'd love help with learning, and hopefully people can help me out when I go to tune my Cobalt. I've looked online and their are websites like HP Academy, EFI University but I am not sure if those would be helpful or not. Let me know, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Check out this Engine Tuning 101 series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1wzEVwAfJQ
    E67 - 2006 LE5 2.4 Turbo, 444 whp
    E78 - 2013 LUV 1.4T

Advanced Tuner
    My K04R setup was perfect for me around 23 psi and 20* of timing. It moved out well and with the help of ethanol, I'd estimate it was good for 380whp/400wtq.

Good luck with it man. I'd help but I use the older version of HPT and can't view anything. Be careful with how much timing you throw at it with 24psi. That little guy will turn into a hot air pump real quick.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Potential Tuner
    Very interesting explanations and links in here ! thanks guys!