Thread: G8GT with L92 heads; pulling timing in -

Advanced Tuner

G8GT with L92 heads; pulling timing in -

Customer came by after he had his cam replaced after lifter failure. He a mech install stock g8 cam and lifters. The car has a heavy hesitation that comes and goes at random times. I looked at the casting on his head and it's 0821 L92 heads. He said the car ran great until the lifter damage, he than had it replaced with stock G8 cam and now the car's timing see off. I believe this to be a mechanical issue. He knows nothing about what was done to the motor when he bought it. I only logged a drive and informed him he should get more info on the engine specs as he may have mis-matched cam.
    Any thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2002 6.6 TR6060 ZO6 (520Whp)
    2014 Audi S7 (730whp)

I mean if said mechanic replaced the camshaft with a stock L76 cam and regular lifters I could see an issue but it would be misfiring far more often and have more issue. The DoD lifters must be used on the cylinders that shut off.

I couldn't tell much from the log.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    0821 and 5364 heads came stock on the G8, depending on the year. What cam is in it? The only thing I can see in the log when the timing dips is what appears to Torque Management kicking in between shifts. Especially when you forced the downshift. The owner will need to find out if the cam that came out was stock or not. Post the tune file.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4