Thread: LS3 cam surge/jolting 2000rpm and below

Potential Tuner

LS3 cam surge/jolting 2000rpm and below

Hey guys

Recently got my HSV Clubsport LS3 manual tuned after fitting a 236/246 114 cam and its all sweet apart from part throttle cruising at 2000rpm and below. My tuners too busy too look at the tune at the moment so i thought id give it a crack myself.
    Been doing a bit of researching and correct me if im wrong but part throttle/low rpm surge is caused by RAF cells are set too high, spark advance is out or the AFRs are out. My tuner had a look at the log and he reckons it was torque management timing, but couldnt find any related tables to play with apart from DFCO.

Just wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction as to what i can tweak.

Ive uploaded the tune and a log. Theres massive variation in spark advance at anything on or below 2000rpm.

Thanks all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Need to add a bit to what you're logging. Add everything you can find related to ignition advance and retard.

Torque Mgt Advance, launch advance, IAT advance, ECT advance, etc.

If torque Mgt advance is doing it you'll be able to see it that way at least.

Min airflow is more for idle. If it's surging while cruising at 1500-2000 RPM's then it's likely something else. The timing bouncing around is obviously a problem though, so log torque mgt advance and see if it's the cause

i had to pull timing into the low 20's in the low load areas under 2000rpm. you have high 20's low 30's right now. thats what fixed my surging when i had night fury cam.

Senior Tuner
    id look at EOIT for that cam also which could help clean it up below 2000rpm also under "spark smoothing" change your "max torque loss" to like 30 so its not pulling so much torque and change "high torque threshold" to 800 and zero out the "high torque gain table" and maby half the "low torque gain table" i played with those alot and if i go too low it will get jerky durin steady state cruise or too high will cause alot of timing reduction at low rpm, may or may not work on yours but worth a mention

Potential Tuner
    Really appreciate all the helpful suggestions folks. Ill try give them all a crack this weekend.

Tuner in Training
    Any resolution to this? Pretty much the same issue for me with "Torque Mgt Advance" being the culprit for large timing dips under 2200-2300 rpm at part throttle. Cammed LS7 here.

Senior Tuner
    one thing i noticed recently was that i had the maf failed but in a different way to go SD and now i failed it the proper way everyone says to it also got rid of pretty much all of my crazy spark making it bunny hop at low speeds, must have had something to do with the airflow calculations or something so worth checking if ur SD

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, I'll check it out.