Thread: Look over Tune or Replace the ECM

Look over Tune or Replace the ECM

little back ground, this is in a non smog vehicle, Offroad Sand Rail

Motor is a LS7 stroked to a 441, I can list all the specs but the issue is that the throttle response feels sluggish compared to my
    416 CI, maybe just the combo of parts,

Also if you are at a dead stop and go to drop the clutch, it falls flat like I have a bad bank of coils,

before I start digging around jus wanted a couple people to look at the tune to see any red-flags

I can list the full specs and build of the motor if that make more sense, also I am using a V-6 ECM should I switch it to a 411 or does it not
    make a big difference

Thanks J
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Im curious of the reluctors, did you install a 24x crank and a 1x cam gear? Did you deal with the wiring differences with the cam sensor? List out how you got a Gen4 motor running on a Gen3.

Tuner in Training
    has this engine been tuned correctly or is this an issue preventing it from being correctly tuned, are the symptoms responding to fuel,

in reply to matty b
    i use a lingenfelter reluctor adaptor on my engine with great success

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ausauto View Post
    has this engine been tuned correctly or is this an issue preventing it from being correctly tuned, are the symptoms responding to fuel,

in reply to matty b
    i use a lingenfelter reluctor adaptor on my engine with great success
    Aftermarket cranks sometimes have issues with the reluctor being installed incorrectly and an electronic encoder is definitely not guaranteed to be free of defects or failures. That said, its helpful to know what we are dealing with so we can weight certain issues more than others in the probability flowchart.

We install all of our, reluctor wheels, I use the Billet CBM 24X, I have used about 15 of them, also the timing gear is a lunati 1x half moon, it is hard to do a histogram due to it being a sandcar, will have to record some data next time I go to the Dunes,

runs good, it just In the sand like to drop the clutch over rollers or off a dead start for sand drags, never had this issue before, so was kind of curious, have built about 20 416CI, have had zippy tune 6 of them,

if I feather the clutch it does not due it only if I drop the clutch, manual transaxle Mendeola, filled the tank up with fuel, but same system I have been running when it was a 416,

feather clutch and normal driving is fine, but when I rev it up to about 4500 and side step it from a start or in motion (pump the clutch with throttle) it dies out, for
    about 4-7 seconds

does any one see any red flags in the tune, was going to take it back to zippy in a couple of weeks when I am in the area

link on the dyno
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEbT_rgmfWw

for fun this is what we do with the cars
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ku9SU4qW6Y

Also I use the Goodson Reluctor wheel install tool,

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, gotta have a tune (yours is tuner locked so I cant even read that) and a log of the problem happening to truly get to the bottom of it. Is this a speed density or MAF setup? A bad MAF can cause what your talking about. I had a 5.3 with a shitty ass Street and Performance MAF/Filter (nobody should waster their money on that POS) and being descreened and right in front of the throttle, it was getting really funky airflow readings and causing timing to drop to 4 degs. If you gave it any gas, it would lug and barely move. Went SD because of clearance issues and kept the filter which made a huge difference.
    Last edited by matty b; 04-25-2016 at 08:18 PM.

tune aside - can you check fuel rail pressure when this happens? almost sounds like you are uncovering fuel pump\pickup under hard launch conditions. I would verify that fuel pressure is staying constant before beating the tune up (can't look at it from this computer and sounds like its locked anyway ^)

It not locked you have to use the new 3.0 software to look it up, just ordered my another USM so I can add a Fuel pressure gage to the racePak, not a huge fan of the aeromotive 1000 for the desert thinking about switching to a Weldon, Also just got today in the mail my Fuel Safe fuel tank with foam and the Holley fuel Mat,

Zippy is out of town for a couple of weeks not in a huge hurry, our next trip is in July, we are going to take some passes on the street with the 35'' BFG Projects to see if it will do the same thing as with the paddle tires on it,

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by J Alper View Post
    It not locked you have to use the new 3.0 software to look it up, just ordered my another USM so I can add a Fuel pressure gage to the racePak, not a huge fan of the aeromotive 1000 for the desert thinking about switching to a Weldon, Also just got today in the mail my Fuel Safe fuel tank with foam and the Holley fuel Mat,

Zippy is out of town for a couple of weeks not in a huge hurry, our next trip is in July, we are going to take some passes on the street with the 35'' BFG Projects to see if it will do the same thing as with the paddle tires on it,
    I have 3.0 and when I open your tune, it says it is locked. May wanna check and repost it.

OK so I looked on my labtop and can not be opened it shows the computer is locked, but when I look at the settings it shows it to not be a locked on the computer settings,

this only started when I downloaded the 3.0 I

it is under tools and select options them pick no for no tuner lock correct,

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, thats correct, do that and then save the file with it turned off. You may have inadvertently turned it on while installing 3.0

Guys can anyone try this file,

I renamed it and saved it with the tune lock feature off, if this does not work I will need some help to see how to fix the tuner lock

Advanced Tuner
    Nope wont open. I never tuner lock so maybe someone else with jump in, but I think you may have to reflash the pcm with the non-locked file and post that.

Well with a friend we got this one to work, had to uninstall 3.0 and reinstall it, it would say unlocked but would not unlock them

Advanced Tuner
    This boosted as well?

just natural,

Advanced Tuner
    The tune doesn't have anything that jumps out at me, so I would suggest doing some type of road log, even just to log the take off (launch it in a parking lot for example) If you have a pro dongle and a fuel pressure transducers, you can log fuel pressure against the log. Maybe I missed it, but what is this making at the wheels? I would expect 60# injectors to fuel anything at a clutch drop, but who knows? Thats why we gotta get a log and as much data in it as possible.