Thread: Final step for MAF frequency adjustments?

Final step for MAF frequency adjustments?

tried using "Gary's" example for maf and ve adjustments.

did 14 seperate logs and adjustments. got the ltft w/o maf hooked up. down to +/- 1 in the whole table.

plugged maf back in to calibrate, adjust frequency....had to add 9.45% across the board. This # seemed to be the closest after over 20 attempts/adjustments.
    sitting in drive way (yeah, i think my neighbors hate me now..haha) at idle and reving to 3k ltft's set the worst cells to -2 (idle/low cruz fields)....most are zero. no positives so its not adding fuel.

now my quandry..?????
    went for another 40min cruz with the maf plugged back in and the ltft's are 0 to -6.
    am i supposed to leave it?
    or do i now adjust the trims in the main ve again with the maf hooked up??
    or is this more maf frequency work..???

actually got up to 5600rpm (non wot) with map at 100 and the ltft is a -1.

2002 a4 camaro P&P heads, 214/220/112 cam, P&P upper and lower intakes. new 24lb injectors.
    any advice is appreciated gang..
    thanks
    dan

(this is being done, reworked because of a VERY consistent LEAN motor popping condition from a mail order tune... )
    Last edited by usd2sing; 05-29-2006 at 12:57 PM.

OK...not feeling any luv here gang..??????

I only use a wideband to get the afr right. If your LTFT is anywhere between 0 and -6 that is very good. The ve has very little to do with fueling when the maf is functioning. I only change the ve table when doing a mafless tune on the V8's that have large cams ( 228+ @ .050)

Russ Kemp

Thumbs up Thank You For The Response!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    I only use a wideband to get the afr right. If your LTFT is anywhere between 0 and -6 that is very good. The ve has very little to do with fueling when the maf is functioning. I only change the ve table when doing a mafless tune on the V8's that have large cams ( 228+ @ .050)

Russ Kemp

hi Russ, so reading at the worst point of a -6 after plugging the maf back iN is good? have no positives in the histogram. mostly -1 & -2...but a few -6's.

does this mean that my maf frequency is pretty close?

thanks again bro... ..im at a dead stand still until i know its safe...not loosing another motor..
    peace, and have a great night.
    dan

You still need a wideband to rescale the maf to get the wot afr set. Don't rely on fuel trims for your wot because LTFT is disabled in pe.

Russ Kemp

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    You still need a wideband to rescale the maf to get the wot afr set. Don't rely on fuel trims for your wot because LTFT is disabled in pe.

Russ Kemp

yeah, got that all figured in the next step. tomorrow night. but with the added injectors, cam porting and such on the heads and u/l intakes..kept running really, really lean....16.-17.9 consistent...even hitting upto 19's...everywhere across the rpm range. especially low rpm, idle to cruz speeds..this was with a mail order tune.

so i just started off fresh with the stocker and have been following step by step.
    SD, no maf hooked up, got the ltft's all most dead nuts to 0..couple of -1's and two -2's.
    it took 14 diff 40-50mi cruises, but it worked. hooked the maf back up and
    got some neg 8,9's, and the wb was much happier...reading low 15's to high 14's.

started messing with %'s in the maf frequency area. and so far have settled with adding 9.45% to the stock frequency (after 20 diff attempts) and now the wb is very happy, bouncing from 14.2 to 15.1 on an average.
    this is at idle and cruz up to around 3500rpms.

so now it looks like its time for some PE adjustments..???? today i hit it 3 times from a hook and it stayed around 11.3 - 11.5 on the wb.

but now i did pick up the dreaded P0300 stuff.... at idle only... thinking its the cam ..
    hopefully i'll get it sorted out.

thanks a bunch.
    dan

EDIT: im having trouble with the histogram #8 "MAF-WB-AFR", got the histogram loaded but its no logging??? states "This Histogram is not supported with the current loaded parameters". Got any suggestions???
    Last edited by usd2sing; 05-29-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Make sure that you inserted maf hz into the table display. The V6 cars don't have missfire tables like the V8's, so just disable the P0300 code.

Russ Kemp

OK, i think i got it figured...i hope

if somebody could take a look at my ve table and verify that i'm heading the right direction.
    getting ready to do some wot runs to check for afr, kr and play with the timing.
    2002 camaro a4, 24lb injectors, 3.42's.
    p$p u/l intakes, h/c 214/220/112

here is the current tune and the last log with the maf hooked back up. prior to hooking the maf back up i got the ltft's down to 0's and a few -1's.
    then messed with the maf hz and hopefully got it correct.
    somebody pleaze review and comment.

thanks a bunch,
    dan

You need to zero out the pe adder vs. rpm vs. time table. That way the commanded afr will stay at 13.0 when in pe. I leave the ve table stock
    when I do a maf tune. That table is only used when there is a maf dtc.

Russ Kemp