Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Piston faliure 6.2 whipple 7psi

Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    let me spit a scenario back at you. so you pull your plug and see that there is evidence of detonation. or evidence of rich running or lean at higher rpms. ok. so now what do you do? attempt surgery with a baseball bat? just grab large sections of a map and make sweeping changes? sure that is so much better than finding the specific cells that are giving you trouble. if we want to argue to verify I mean we can waste time however we like, but in reality, the engines sensors have much better resolution than our human bodies are capable of. one more time, the right answer is to fix sensor calibrations so the right data can be logged to tune with. when you feel like you want to use your data out of your head to tune with, the end result is going to be less. each and every time. because your brain is not capable of fetching specific data for specific cells on it's own. it takes an ecu to scan and read an ecu.

is that spark plug gonna show you at what coolant temp or intake air temp the detonation was occurring? is that plug going to show you that is was running rich because of pe? or cot? is that spark plug going to show you at what rpm you were detonating? absolutely not. for you a spark plug seems to be a good place to scratch your head
    I teach for 500/hr look me up if you are ever on the west coast.
    99' SS LSR 388 twin ETR billet 76s, glide, etc
    06' C6 Z06 885rwhp/796rwtq [email protected] E85 940/840
    07' TBSS Turbocharged 6 psi 525/505
    16' C7Z A8 Stock blower slow street car 815 RWHP

That is the perfect analogy. ty. and no I do not fly a plane. but the computers that fly planes never look out the window because they have sensors that don't need to see the color of the sky.

That is the perfect analogy. ty. and no I do not fly a plane. but the computers that fly planes never look out the window because they have sensors that don't need to see the color of the sky.
    you are not a computer no matter how much you want to be. this is not the matrix, this is earth. hellllooooooo.

if you fly your plane into another plane or a mountain, trust me, it won't be the computer's problem. we function in this world with other people, with other life.

you are not coding a computer, that's what HPTuners does when they write the software. you are using the software to tune an engine. i recommend you at least pop the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    What wideband? Wideband accuracy plays a huge role here.
    Exactly... that's why we use twin ECM1500's and never question lambda anymore...

This thread looks like its taking a right hand turn like most internet finger blasting will do.The original poster was looking for feedback on his hardship vs a chest beating contest. I would think those with current DI experience my have a bigger hand in this discussion since we have seen some of these failures and can quantify conditions that can lead to this.

Good stuff
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    you are not a computer no matter how much you want to be. this is not the matrix, this is earth. hellllooooooo.

if you fly your plane into another plane or a mountain, trust me, it won't be the computer's problem. we function in this world with other people, with other life.

you are not coding a computer, that's what HPTuners does when they write the software. you are using the software to tune an engine. i recommend you at least pop the hood.
    Whiskey.... Tango... Foxtrot...

Whiskey.... Tango... Foxtrot...
    now we are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    now we are on the same page.
    no. no we are not. honestly we are at least 39 posts away from the same page. but surely if we keep plugging away at it we can find common ground, eventually.

no. no we are not. honestly we are at least 39 posts away from the same page. but surely if we keep plugging away at it we can find common ground, eventually.
    let me know when you get here.

Quote Originally Posted by higgs boson View Post
    let me know when you get here.
    lmao!
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

I just am at a loss for how a gen5 thread that belittles others about how DI is some new alien tech that port injection guys can't comprehend would use such an old school method to tune.

I just am at a loss for how a gen5 thread that belittles others about how DI is some new alien tech that port injection guys can't comprehend would use such an old school method to tune.
    I am at a loss at how you are taking it that way.

You say, "You no longer need to check the plugs."

We say, "That's crazy, it's a good idea to still check the plugs, the physical, real world source at the scene of combustion, rather than only a computer readout based on sensors with tolerances and chances of failure."

You say, "Stop belittling me and my new ideas."

Yeah.....right. Besides, you open yourself up the minute you stop being a gentleman and start talking about how much money you make or have made, etc etc. At that point, yes, you are a target.

There are people on this forum that have made 50 times as much as you that still check plugs. I can't see the correlation.

Anyways, we still like you, just stop being weird.

? you took that way out of context. I am still trying to claw my way up the ladder as a tech. kinda. I did not post up about 500/hr to teach. my only point was that sometimes it is ok to turn away a job after someone suggested that what if you have a car come in for tuning with kr you cant identify. I was only trying to say I wasn't desperate about taking work. and I have never not been a gentleman. only provoked some back and forth debate. But for the record, over in the introduce yourselves here thread of the lounge I did post my credentials. I have only posted up industry truths. And I am sorry if you think I am weird. I do have a stated goal here, though.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 09-26-2015 at 08:16 AM.

I don't think you're weird, it's tongue in cheek. No worries, let's just talk about car stuff.

There is normally one knock sensor per bank. Reading the spark plugs helps in fine tuning the knock sensors multiplier for each cylinder.

Tuner
    Share knowledge, wisdom and not stupid stupidity on DI motors. Im trying to learn here. Please i am person that well speak out with ugly words to continue learning. Please stop fighting. I Wanna learn.

Right so back on the motor that came apart. if this was an ignition or fueling or even boosted iat event then why did it happen to just one cylinder? if this was high iat's then why didn't it happen to multiple cylinders? if all cylinders were equal and you lost fuel pressure, or had 180f iats or has the spark come at a bad rod angle, or overheated the motor, or even starved it of oil, why did this only happen to one?

Tuner
    Well, we didn't get to see the other pistons, they may have signs of detonation too and #8 just had it the worst.
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.

Potential Tuner
    Rest of the pistons r okay #7 has some marks of wearing off on the ring lands but rest of the pistons looks new which is wierd if it was tune issue i guess it shld show on all of them

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsx454 View Post
    Rest of the pistons r okay #7 has some marks of wearing off on the ring lands but rest of the pistons looks new which is wierd if it was tune issue i guess it shld show on all of them
    #7 and #8 pistons are usually the first to show signs of excess heat in a situation where the overall afr is lean or spark too high.

What plugs were in there?
    2001 Z06 : 856/830 : Built LQ9 403ci : D1SC 17psi : Self-built , self-tuned.