Thread: A whole slew of problems...

Tuner in Training

A whole slew of problems...

Here's the setup:

2000 Chevy Cavalier Z24 (2.4 LD9) manual transmission with the GM supercharger reflash. However, the reflash is from another 2000 Chevy Cavalier Z24 with a manual transmission. Our VIN numbers match up except for the last 5 digits. To get the car licensed properly, I purchased the entire 2000 Chevy Cavalier license due to the fact that I have three other 2k cavs running around that need to eventually be tuned.

HP Tuners 2.1.10
    MVPI Pro running version 108

Problem 1:

Under the menu Flash, Change VIN does not work or maybe I'm not doing it correctly. Here's the error I get:

Problem 2:

Writing my calibration AS WELL AS writing everything produces this problem:

Problem 3:

Doing a non-active test write of the calibration AS WELL AS writing everything produces this problem:

Here's the explosion of information that's produced from the error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at ac.?()
    at ac.?()
    at ac.?(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage (Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(M essage& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    VCM Editor
    Assembly Version: 2.1.10.0
    Win32 Version: 2.1.10.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/HP%20Tuners/VCM%20Suite%202/VCM%20Editor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
    C1.Win.C1FlexGrid
    Assembly Version: 2.5.20053.220
    Win32 Version: 2.5.20053.224
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/HP%20Tuners/VCM%20Suite%202/C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.DLL
    C1.Common
    Assembly Version: 1.0.20031.116
    Win32 Version: 1.0.20042.118
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/HP%20Tuners/VCM%20Suite%202/C1.Common.DLL
    C1.Win.C1Chart
    Assembly Version: 1.0.20053.15236
    Win32 Version: 1.0.20053.15236
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/HP%20Tuners/VCM%20Suite%202/C1.Win.C1Chart.DLL
    C1.Win.C1Chart3D
    Assembly Version: 1.0.20053.15236
    Win32 Version: 1.0.20053.15236
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/HP%20Tuners/VCM%20Suite%202/C1.Win.C1Chart3D.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
    application or machine (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
    rather than being handled by this dialog.

Problem 4:

Changing the VIN number from the calibration details window produces the following error:

What the hell is going on? Is this a result of having the ecu program of my buddy's reflashed car on my car? Do the BCM VIN and ECU VIN absolutely have to be the same? If I recall correctly in the HP Tuners help file as well as everything else on this forum and any other technical document I've come across, nowhere does it state that the VIN on the ECU and the VIN on the BCM need to be identical. It just says that the OS must be compatible with the ECU....which it is since my car has been running tip top with the reflash since day one.

Any help from anyone would be excellent. I'm currently dead in the water with this.

Tuner in Training
    Argh!! Wrong forum. Sorry guys.

please e-mail a vcm suite info log while connected to the vehicle to support, as well as the file you are trying to flash in. Please also include a link to this thread in your e-mail.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    More problems. This time, it's a different car:

1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.4 LD9 engine with 5 speed Isuzu transmission. Totally unmodified car.

I'm now using 2.1.11 for the software with the 108 MPVI revision.

Problem 5:

I tried reading the entire VCM without changing any settings. Here's what I got:

Problem 6:

Trying to change the VIN number gets me the following error:

Problem 7:

I redid the read entire VCM and turned off high speed. A little bit further this time:

I recall the website saying the HP Tuners software supports the 97-05 j-body platform. Were any j-bodies from 97-99 actually tested with the system? I only ask because I know that from 97-99, the vehicles do not have a BCM. Food for thought.

Keith, I've of course sent you another email.

It has nothing to do with the BCM.

The isuzu vehicle does not have power on the OBD-2 port.

As for the last one, all you need to do is e-mail a vcm suite info log to [email protected], per its instructions.

Tuner in Training
    I had some of the same problems at one time...... the 'make sure the cable is hooked up and key is on' error was solved with an update. Then I had a problem writing a modified S/C reflash to a S/C reflashed ecm...... another update fixed that......

The BCM and ECM do not have to see the same vin number, you just have to relearn the passlock if you change the ECM vin number (this was the case when I would install S/C reflashed ECM's into 00+ J bodies)...... you can get passed this by turning the VATS off with HPT.

Keith, the car is still a Chevy, just uses an isuzu 5speed trans..... it does have power at the OBD port just like any 96+.....

I also have a slight problem...... I saved an edited program to my ECM (VCM) and it aparently didnt take. The paramiters that I changed where still there, even though when I did a down load, they appeared changed. I did another complete upload, and it apeared that they changed (RPM Fuel Cut)...... although now I run out RPM in the spark and fuel maps

Tuner
    Is it possible that Keith means that the port is not getting 12v?
    As in blown fuse or similar.

Tuner in Training
    Update:

The problems with my 2000 have been correct. My god you are fast Keith.

I'll try out the 1998 again later in the week.

Tuner in Training
    good point todd...... wasnt really thinking along those lines...... was thinking he thought it was an isuzu, not a chevy (was at work, running out of lunch hour.... lol)

Pute..... yea, they've always been pretty quick with my updates..... the 98 Issue sounds just like the issue I had when I first plugged in my HPT the day I got it..... after I sent them the Info Log, I had an updated link in a day or two (buisness days) and it worked.

For those who want isuzu support, it is in 2.1.11 but not 2.1.10. If you require this, please just e-mail me.

Tuner in Training
    Keith, I must retract my comment of things working properly.

I went to go try another write to my 2000 cavalier again today, and I got the "unable to determine bootloader" message again. Here's the order in which I did things today:

1. Read the current program on the ecu to make sure the code truly was modified from my success last night.
    2. Did a few more modifications to the same code that came out of the ecu.
    3. Tried to write back the code (tried both calibration only and entire write) and that's when I got the error again.

What's going on? Why does this keep happening? I only ask for the sake of my curiousity. Regardless, I'd still like a fix for it too please :-P

Any time you get that message just send us a vcm suite info log.

It happens because you are working with a vehicle that has an OS that we haven't seen yet. We add the combination to our database which makes the os/vin combo now valid, and able to be read/written.

Tuner in Training
    See, that's what I don't understand. When I sent you the hpt file and log yesterday, that was the same exact file I pulled off of the ECU today and tried to modify further!

So are you saying, from this point on, if I want to modify the programming on my ecu, I should use the original file I sent to you guys instead of editing what I have on the ecu itself (even though it's technically the same thing)?

Most likely either the VIN or the OS is different.