Thread: Tuning for stock LS1 engine ??

Potential Tuner

Tuning for stock LS1 engine ??

Hy all,

i am from Germany and recently installed a LS1 engine in my 51 Chevy pickup.

The LS1 engine is completey stock.... i have just eliminated all the EGR stuff and it does not have any catalytic converter anymore..

Pls let me know if i can improve the horsepower just with tuning the software ?

If yes, how much hp can i expect ?

Sorry for asking that basic stuff , but i am competely new to this topic ..

Thanks
    Achim

Depends, need to scan the MAF and open loop Wide open throttle to see how close or far off they are. Lean out the wide open and move the timing around a bit. ..will need a wideband to do the Wide Open stuff though.

If an automatic, may make it better with a transmission tune.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Hy

thanks for response...
    The car does have an automatic transmission

What do u mean with transmission tune ?

Nobody any results of tuning a stock ls1 ??

Thx
    Achim

for the transmission you can remove maybe a 50% of torque managment , if you have a bigger stall TC then you have to tune shift points.
    on the engine side you can tweak your PE to be leaner than the stock ... a 12.6-12.8 afr will be better. if catalist converter are gone disable COT dropdown option. if its a swap your intake length , route or maybe diameter has change ,if youre going to keep your maf enabled is a good idea to tune it to match this differences to the stock camaro configuration. also maybe lower a couple of degrees in the fan area.

Quote Originally Posted by acii View Post
    Hy

thanks for response...
    The car does have an automatic transmission

What do u mean with transmission tune ?

Nobody any results of tuning a stock ls1 ??

Thx
    Achim
    The transmission tune will alter the shift points, pressures and shift times to remove some of the softness felt in OEM transmission tune. When ever you change rear ratios, tire sizes or torque capabilities, these tunes are a must to recapture any losses due to the new setup. As stated above, some TM is removed to reduce the amount of torque loos during shifting.

As far as tuning a stock engine, fuel mixture, timing and engine Torque Management are the area's to address. Realistically, one could maybe expect to see 10-15 rwhp/tq improvement over the stock setup, all things being equal. One can and should feel a bit more responsiveness and "crispness" in the engine and tranny after these tunes. The best "first mod" for most setups is a cold air intake, headers and a cat-back muffler system. This, with a tune can yield improvements of 40-50 rwhp/tq.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]