Thread: 6.0 with ls3 topend lean concern

Potential Tuner

6.0 with ls3 topend lean concern

I have just finished my first ls swap in my 67 camaro its a ls2 with ls3 heads and intake. I have a cold air kit installed on it and setting lean codes. I am very new at tuning I was given a tune from a guy that had 2011 camaro with very similar cam to that I am running but think my issue is cold air intake maf is closer to tb than factory would be. Also with lean issues would it mess with my trans shifting? Its a 4l60e with 4l65e parts in case and running tcm. I will put my tune in and maybe someone could look at it and see what I am missing? Thanks for your help in advance.stock 67 camaro2.hpt

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    please submit the current codes and a scan of the car WOT

change the following:

FUEL>POWER ENRICHMENT>EQ RATIO (GAS) all table to be 1.195

also your timing is kind of up there, i would back it down a little till you can get access to a dyno
    Last edited by SultanHassanMasTuning; 08-07-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    No offense but i personally wouldn't recommend going wot till the lean issue is diagnosed. Give a complete list of mods including Maf, cam and injectors. And as previously requested a scan
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Potential Tuner
    P0171 P01714 and P0712 in trans. I took it to work and smoke test no vac leaks found. It is a ls2 with ls3 heads stock intake and injectors from ls3. Stock maf installed in cai with stock ls3 tb. Long tube headers no cats and 3 inch exh with x-pipe and magnaflow mufflers. Cam is 276/284 227/235 at .050 .614/.621 lift at 113.0 lobe seperation. Trans is built with raptor kit and has a 3000 stall. Harness is psi standalone. I will take it out and make a scan tomorrow or this weekend and post it. I may have stock air intake take-off at work I can try and see if that helps? I work at chevy dealer in Olympia and have for last 13 years but tuning and ls swaps are new to me but love the power that this thing makes its insane when you put your foot into it but trans tune needs some work for light throttle shifts are not right. Thanks for your help and patience with me I am a newbie
    Last edited by 1967camaro78; 08-08-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    your commanded fuel up top is lean correct it
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    I am not sure what that means I am very new at this still. My long term fuel trim looking at scanner is around 24. I was thinking I would multiply my maf at 1.10 and see if that helps?? I am very new at this so be gentle with me.

GP is suggesting you take it easy and stay out of wide open throttle until you get a handle on what you are doing with your tune....better safe than sorry.

Sultan is pointing out your power enrichment table goes lean 13.2 (14.68/1.112) up top (4500+ rpm) and you should richen it back up to something richer than 12.5 AFR (he suggested 1.195 which would give you 14.68/1.195 = 12.3). Once you have a handle on your tune and understand the risk associated with running leaner then you are in a better position to push the limits.

There is sometimes a fine line between max. performance and catastrophe and these guys are trying to help you avoid the latter.
    2010 Avalanche 4WD; AES 390; Mast LS3 heads; VVT Cam; ported TVS2300; Overdrive 8 rib pulleys; 2.7 snout pulley; ID1000; LS3 TB; WB 450; Twin MM cans; built 6L80; CircleD Triple Disk, CSR flexplate; Trucool 40K; Aeroforce Dual; AFX

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks I changed in power enrichment section 4500+ from 1.112 to 1.195. I will save and reflash when I get home any other suggestions? Also on start up at times takes 2 tries to start any idea what can cause this concern? Not a big deal but seams weird. Btw thanks for your help on this its alot of fun but can be confusing at times alot of different things to look at and you can get lost really quick.

Search on the word "towel" and you will get an extensive thread on gen 4 idle tuning. Additionally search on "startup airflow" and "MAF tuning". Also because you have done a hybrid you may need to search on tuning info related to injectors, map, throttle body, and so forth (basically anything that is now different from the ECM/tune you started with). There are also a number of books, videos, youtube out there on EFI tuning with HPT (Greg Banish to name one author).
    2010 Avalanche 4WD; AES 390; Mast LS3 heads; VVT Cam; ported TVS2300; Overdrive 8 rib pulleys; 2.7 snout pulley; ID1000; LS3 TB; WB 450; Twin MM cans; built 6L80; CircleD Triple Disk, CSR flexplate; Trucool 40K; Aeroforce Dual; AFX

Advanced Tuner
    Can't tell you much since you still haven't posted a log file...But, assuming everything is stock to the LS3 except the block, you are running stock fuel pressure and everything is in order mechanically, you need to tweak your maf to get the trims in-line. I'm also assuming you are running a card style maf. The distance from the TB isn't the issue, its the diameter of the pipe and the bends/ flow path of air into the maf that affect it the most.

I would also set PE to 1.185. 1.138 is still a tad leaner than what that engine is going to like.

Potential Tuner

My new tune

stock 67 camaro3.hptSorry have not had time to make a log yet busy making girlfriend happy and doing all my honey does and such. Here is my latest tune ran good but hard starts some almost seams like it tries to flood it out on start up. Also still working on surge at idle really annoying but no dtcs set yet but need to see what fuel trim is at.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm on my cell but it looks like you posted another tune file, not log. Hopefully you scanning the necessary pids

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to say I will have to wait on log I think I blew trans in my Camaro. I will be pulling it to see what I broke this week. I took off shifted to second and that was it no forward or reverse just reved to the sky and shit was broke.

Tuner in Training
    Where are you in Tumwater, I'm in East Olympia off Rainier Rd. Maybe we can get together and go over your tune.

Jon