Thread: Poor fuel economy. Scan included.

Tuner

Poor fuel economy. Scan included.

This is my pre-scan prior to changing Cats. Dealer thought they were clogged, so changed them. The truck still drives the same so I'm posting up my log file. Maybe something will stick out to you guys. I'm getting 10 mpg.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What do you drive?

Whats are the mods on the vehicle if any, recent work done, tune up progress etc etc?

The more info you give us the better we could maybe help you.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Your 02's seem to be quite lazy on switching. Are your 02 DTC's disabled? any codes? Wondering if your heaters are dead or weak or heater fuse blown.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

^^^^ what he said

In addition to what was previously mentioned, please post your tune file.

Tuner
    The truck is a 2009 silverado Crew cab 1500 with 5.3L 4x4.
    Here is my stock tune from when I did the log.

I forgot to mention, I had an active P0420 ( inefficiency of catalytic converters )
    Last edited by Spartus; 12-28-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Tuner
    Here is my scan after CAT replacement. I also tuned the PCM a little.

I'm told it trips the inefficiency code if it detects any efficiency lower than 95%. I've also read that running your fuel tank down to less than 1/2 tank (1 would run it down to 1/4 with a big truck tank), adding 1 gallon of lacquer thinner and going out and doing some aggressive driving will restore that lost efficiency, but you need to check those 02's before anything because their activity doesn't look kosher. As I mentioned, check your 02 heater circuit fuse. You can pull the 02's and put a meter across it, looking for 12v and ground across the heater circuit and then look into the 02 plug and look for continuity on the heater coil. You can also try using a infrared temp gun and looking at your pre and post catalytic temps to make sure you don't have one that's clogged up. It'll be high before and low after the cat and the cat will be discolored in most cases, depending on what cat you have.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Tuner
    So even on the POST CAT log file the O2's look lazy to you too?

I believe things may have fixed themselves after the cat replacement, but took some time. I just took a 140 mile highway trip and got 17.5 mpg. I'll have to see if city is still 10 mpg or not. I still may need to look at the Heater circuit though, it sounds like.