Thread: Tuned with HPTuners, maybe bad tune

Tuned with HPTuners, maybe bad tune

Hello all, i blew my engine a few months ago after getting tuned. Not sure if it was the tune or not that caused it to blow. Did some data logging on the*car after installing another engine, can anyone look at them and tell me if anything looks off? Im a noob when it comes to tuning so im not sure what i should be looking for. Trying to get as many opinions as i can.I can email the files to anyone who can look at them.Thanks everyone in advance.

Its a 2006 Saturn ION Redline
    2.0L LSJ, TVS, 80#, 3.0 pulley, cooling (zzp s3 he, dual pass, option b, pheno spacer), full 3" exhaust

Load the tune and a log on so we can have a look see.

Okay, here are the logs and the tune.

Had the car tuned by Tune Time Performance. When they tuned it, they said it was running fine but was idling very rich and to swap out my spark plugs to a different temperature range. Did that but I didn't really notice a huge difference in the AFRs while looking at my wideband.

A week into having the car, the engine blew. Brought it to my local (trusted) shop and was told that Tune Time had sort of a rep for running cars too lean when they tuned cars. When they actually got my car they found my intake piping was separated at the coupler in the bumper.

I was told that my engine blowing could have been 1 of 3 things:

1. Sucked up water/dirt in the intake, causing the piston to not be able to move correctly -> bending/breaking the connecting rod.

2. Bad tune, running too lean when accelerating.

3. Too rich idle, maybe hyrdrolocked the engine with fuel, but was told it was very unlikely.

The car is running again, and I believe that it was the piping being broken that was bad, but I want to get a second opinion on my tune before I really start pushing the car again.

Tune Time Tune.hptCruising.hplStart-up and idle.hplWOT Pulls.hpl

Okay well you got a few things that need to be fixed. One you need to find a little better logger. If you can't see the long trim fuel trim its hard to tell how far off everything is. Wot little hard to tell when you got in to pe cause you can't see throttle position and from what looks like at wot your in the 10s should be closer to high 11s.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i see stock timing...correct me if im wrong.
    enrichment tps value is a little lof after 2500
    enrichment rate set to 2 so when you enter pe it gets to the pe desired fuel as quick as possible
    i would delay pe to 2800 but its ok where its at
    100% maf tune

thats what i see in the tune alone... the log should reflect once you have a proper lsj .cfg
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by FenderGuitars777 View Post
    Okay, here are the logs and the tune.

Had the car tuned by Tune Time Performance. When they tuned it, they said it was running fine but was idling very rich and to swap out my spark plugs to a different temperature range. Did that but I didn't really notice a huge difference in the AFRs while looking at my wideband.

A week into having the car, the engine blew. Brought it to my local (trusted) shop and was told that Tune Time had sort of a rep for running cars too lean when they tuned cars. When they actually got my car they found my intake piping was separated at the coupler in the bumper.

I was told that my engine blowing could have been 1 of 3 things:

1. Sucked up water/dirt in the intake, causing the piston to not be able to move correctly -> bending/breaking the connecting rod.

2. Bad tune, running too lean when accelerating.

3. Too rich idle, maybe hyrdrolocked the engine with fuel, but was told it was very unlikely.

The car is running again, and I believe that it was the piping being broken that was bad, but I want to get a second opinion on my tune before I really start pushing the car again.

Tune Time Tune.hptCruising.hplStart-up and idle.hplWOT Pulls.hpl
    Wow usually someone would call us and tell us about an issue , if it was rich on your wideband why didn't you call us ? I hope your trusted shop wasn't the one who didn't bolt down your blower all the way? ... it sounds to me like you sucked in water ... The Maf is closer to the throttle body and would not be affected by your pipe issue ... Please call me if you have any questions about your tune or the work that was done at my shop . I will help you call and ask for me directly ... I'll pull your work ticket tomorrow and see what the recommendations/ issues where .
    FYI to lean or to much timing will crack a ringland ... Bend a rod ? it's possible but we have been tuning lsj's since 2005 never seen one bend / brake ...
    Last edited by MattTuneTime; 07-09-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattTuneTime View Post
    Wow usually someone would call us and tell us about an issue , if it was rich on your wideband why didn't you call us ? I hope your trusted shop wasn't the one who didn't bolt down your blower all the way? ... it sounds to me like you sucked in water ... The Maf is closer to the throttle body and would not be affected by your pipe issue ... Please call me if you have any questions about your tune or the work that was done at my shop . I will help you call and ask for me directly ... I'll pull your work ticket tomorrow and see what the recommendations/ issues where .
    FYI to lean or to much timing will crack a ringland ... Bend a rod ? it's possible but we have been tuning lsj's since 2005 never seen one bend / brake ...
    No my blower bolts were my screw-up... I installed it but I guess my torque wrench is a little old and giving out... no exactly sure what happened there.

I think I just sucked in water too. Believe me, I'm not trying to call you guys out or anything because I know you have a great reputation and I love the meets you guys throw. Just got a little paranoid since it happened within a week of getting this new set up and I wanted to explore all possibilities and get a second opinion from other people.

I definitely should have called to keep you guys in the loop but I didn't want to call unless I really thought it was the tune that caused the issue. The car has been running fine since the new engine got swapped in.

Senior Tuner
    Matt will be more than happy to work with you on any tune issues.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.