Thread: LNF boost blowing out spark plug? Kinda . . .

Potential Tuner

LNF boost blowing out spark plug? Kinda . . .

So I had been consistently running about 23-25psi depending on conditions for some time now without issue. A few months ago, I started loosing a little boost, nothing big, maybe down to about 20ish. Wasn't sure what was wrong, car otherwise felt good. Was still getting good mileage, and was too busy with wedding related things, and not driving the car much to get to it for about 2 months. Anyways, did a little work the other day putting in a new oil pressure sender. In the process had to remove the piping to the throttle body. That's when I noticed a loose ring clamp on the coupler just above the intercooler. There wasn't any visual sign of leak like a different contact line of dirt from the piping coming loose or any signs of residue/liquid/dirt denoting a leak. When I buttoned everything up, made sure everything was tight. I chalked it up to maybe not tightening it enough/properly when I had put on some new t-bolt clamps a few months ago.

After tightening everything up about a week ago, I started getting this weird build up of boost and it would almost fall on its ass, like it was making great boost, but no power. Since I had recently installed the Prosport boost gauge, I could see that it was hitting crazy boost. Reflashed with the tune that was already on the car, and things are back to normal. 23-25psi sustained.

Still going to swap out the LTR5IX-11 spark plugs with a new set though. I'm getting a little "breakup" occasionally under really high boost (25psi ish), and they are at stock gap which i think is about .036". Going to swap in a new set gapped a little smaller, like .029 and see how that goes. But the car still feels great now that it's back up to 23-25psi. Pulls likes a beast, but like I said breaks up under high boost at times.

Any input?

Oh and MAF and VE Air are both just over 30 lb/min
    Last edited by Carbon Sky; 07-08-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    lnf plugs on high boost gap to .030"
    everyone seems to like this gap quite a bit. i think ZZP recommends the factory plugs(check their website for sparkplugs and the info section will say their recommendation), but to each their own....i have ngk race plugs in the one step colder range. iirc they are non-iridium, i gap them to .030", haven't had any blowout on garrett 30 series kits, but even though the cost is lower by a lot i check them frequently for insulator cracking and signs of fouling to maintain consistency. (i have mine out about every 3 months of DD to inspect or after a weekend at the circuit tracks/every other weekend at the strip)
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Those plugs you have come .044 out of the box, the -11 gives it away. Too hard to gap down properly, electrode is no longer perpendicular to the tip.

Stock HR are NGK 5476 and 1 step colder are 3787's if my old feeble memory serves. .030 out of the box. Pick one of those two when you replace them, preferably the 5476's, some LNF's don't like the 3787's but mine did at ~360 whp.

If you look at a stock LNF AC plug you will see the 5476 on the barrel below the hex. They are/were rebranded NGK's in my '08.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-09-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel