Thread: MAF off significantly - Stock 98 Camaro SS 6spd Tuning Tips/Advice

Advanced Tuner

MAF off significantly - Stock 98 Camaro SS 6spd Tuning Tips/Advice

I have a bone stock all original 98 camaro ss 6spd, it is completely unmolested and I mean completely untouched it still has the factory radiator hoses. I did change the original plugs, wireset, and hego's within the past few weeks.

I've been playing with the PCM and since this vehicle is completely bone stock I figured i wouldn't have to do any tuning just adjusting, obviously thats not the case. So I changed the PE table to 1.141 eq_ratio and went for a drive under the false impression that stock is close. This is with the stock MAF ONLY FUELING rpm set at 4000+ rpm, so over 4000 rpm only the MAF is used for fuel calcuations.

at 5500+ the engine leans out to the 15s approx. 1.04 lambda (~15.2), this is with the LTFT adding 10% additional fuel as well

so simple math tells me, 14.1%(eq_ratio) + 10%(LTFT) + 4%(AFR correction) = 28.1 %

From a production stand point I dont see how GM can let a production vehicle leave the factory with the maf curve needing 1.281% correction, I can see a variance of up to 8% being acceptable but this is just too unreasonable. I have verified that the MAF is original, lid and screen are stock and I have absolutely no vac leaks, I even cleaning the MAF element to no avail.

BTW, at idle (MAF ONLY) my fuel trims are +5% (which i expected since i have no vac leaks), during cruise and part throttle load my fuel trims are +8%

Before I go adding 28.1% to the upper flows of the maf curve I'd like to see what others have experienced as well.

Have you verified fuel pressure? It's difficult to tell from the above, but I would certainly be verifying a fuel variables first, namely fuel pressure.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah fuel pressure stayed right below 60 the whole time using a hood mounted gauge

I think my issues are due to some dirty injectors, ill post back with my findings

Unplug the Maf, if the fueling is closer, then the Maf is bad. Very common problem.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    What are your g/cyl readings at WOT? This will help identify if it's a fuel issue or bad MAF. My fuel trims are spot on and I usually see 0.72 g/cyl at 5000 rpm, dropping to 0.66 at 6000 rpm. That's at 600 meters elevation with a stock 2000 LS1 (with LS1 intake and restrictive holden exhaust). If you're seeing much less than this I'd suspect the MAF.

Advanced Tuner
    i have a tech2 i can't log g/cyl or if i can i don't know how

i can reach approx 9200hz on the maf at WOT on the big end 5000+ this seems to jive with what i would expect to see

im anywhere between -6 to -18 feet (below sealevel) here in new orleans

i'll unplug my maf hopefully tonight and do some tinkering

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    i have a tech2
    So you don't have HP tuners? Or don't know how to use it?
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Advanced Tuner
    nope no hptuners

Advanced Tuner
    So why are you here? Even if we tell you to tune the maf table you can't........
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Advanced Tuner
    I can tune the maf table, I know the eq_ratio and I can log maf freq and I can look at the wideband for correction, I've tuned hundreds of vehicles, not a noob by a long shot

In any case i finally resolved my issue, by coincidence really. I'm getting voltage drop to the pump

after cleaning the injectors and rails I went out and loaded in the stock MAF curve then went and stood on it, AFR stayed at 12.8 to redline then last night i went beating on her and she went lean again, absolutely nothing changed, so I turned my radio down and my ac off to hear the engine better, just like that my afr dropped

I've been searching and this appears to be a common issue, racetronix has a wiring harness that ties the pump into the alternator, soon as I get a chance ill be doing the same

hope this helps someone