Thread: LNF WGDC hypothetical question

Advanced Tuner

LNF WGDC hypothetical question

So I'm installing a bigger turbo this weekend (EFR 6758), and I want to start tuning at a relatively low boost pressure. The problem is, I think the WG canister that comes with the turbo allows 15-17 psi at the lowest rod setting. It is the "high pressure" canister. So, I'm thinking at ~17 psi or so, it should be at close to the same airflow (based on searching dyno numbers) as the stocker at the 21-22 psi I'm running now.

My question is if I zero out all of the WG control tables and set a max pressure limit of like 18 psi, will the PCM allow the turbo to just "run off the wastegate pressure" and essentially command 0% WGDC? After all, the controller can only add boost not subtract it right? I understand that there are other implications possibly in timing advance and/or ETC response, but as I starting point I want to be at as low a pressure as possible. I also understand I may be initially sacrificing some spool up. But all this aside, IF my DALs are adequate to request the airflow at the wastegate pressure, is this possibly an acceptable way to start tuning the boost curve on a bigger turbo? I don't want to be one of the guys that starts at 26 psi and works his way DOWN to where he wants to be lol.
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    So I'm installing a bigger turbo this weekend (EFR 6758), and I want to start tuning at a relatively low boost pressure. The problem is, I think the WG canister that comes with the turbo allows 15-17 psi at the lowest rod setting. It is the "high pressure" canister. So, I'm thinking at ~17 psi or so, it should be at close to the same airflow (based on searching dyno numbers) as the stocker at the 21-22 psi I'm running now.

My question is if I zero out all of the WG control tables and set a max pressure limit of like 18 psi, will the PCM allow the turbo to just "run off the wastegate pressure" and essentially command 0% WGDC? After all, the controller can only add boost not subtract it right? I understand that there are other implications possibly in timing advance and/or ETC response, but as I starting point I want to be at as low a pressure as possible. I also understand I may be initially sacrificing some spool up. But all this aside, IF my DALs are adequate to request the airflow at the wastegate pressure, is this possibly an acceptable way to start tuning the boost curve on a bigger turbo? I don't want to be one of the guys that starts at 26 psi and works his way DOWN to where he wants to be lol.
    if im not mistaken you would have to zero out more than just the wgdc its the proportional deravitive and intragal gains also because each one helps with building boost and "errors" as the ecu calls it ive done some reasearch on the gains and ive fooled with them and got some pretty cool results but i dont have alot of time to test and test and test so i just went back to my normal stg 1 settings for those gains.. but id zero out all of those and let it run off wastegate pressure. and im pretty sure the computer will let you do that
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    run a hose around the solenoid and turn the codes off maybe
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    If I decide to do it this way, I'd rather do it in a way that might be compatible with the PCM, rather than trying to fool it.
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

Run a good MBC.