Thread: WTF is causing this Knock?

WTF is causing this Knock?

This is my stock GMPP tune file and this just started to happen last month and not sure why and no codes.
    Last edited by tazz; 08-02-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Have you checked the knock sensor orientation? They are supposed to be at the 9'o'clock position. There is a threaad talking all about it. Mine were all out of position.

No since the Knock just started about a month ago.

try logging KR in each cylinder if it is in multiple cylinders then it is more than likely real knock if its in only one then its false and i would check the knock sensros just to do the MOD it cut my false knock almost all the way out
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

I thought I had logged before with my old config file right before I switch to GMtechs config file and it showed KR across all cylinders but I could be wrong and it NEVER had anywere near that much on the stock tune before last month. Weird thing is that the KR stops once I run an E47 tune but comes back if I run anything less and the E47 tune. The town I live in there i was only 1 e85 station and it closed so now Im back to stock and I really dont want to take a chance modifiing the stock tune if it has that much KR before I figure out what is causing the issue.

Looks like pretty much across all cylinders.
    Last edited by tazz; 08-02-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Your PE table is pretty lean for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by McShibbs View Post
    Your PE table is pretty lean for starters.
    the pe table should be around .86 for starters which is suppose to hit a target AFR of around 12.6 ish, i have mine leaned out to 13 which is fine my plugs are light brown and not white. and i have done some research and DI likes lean fuel mixtures.. but it kinda looks like his log has it gradually going to .85 and its heating the fuel mixture to much at low loads just my opinion. and i dont know if anyone else has had an issue but when my timing is to low i get fuel knock like crazy.. my timing normally never drops below 13 at wot from a dead stop i see as low as 2 and 4 on yours, just a guess but it might be fuel knock. richen up the PE table and i dont know what your tune looks like but id say add some timing and if you get more knock after the timing add.. i would suggest clocking those knock sensors it helped me out alot
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

I don't think I asking the question the right way.

This Tune is the STOCK GMPP TUNE and on my car it has NEVER SEEN KNOCK like this on the STOCK GMPP TUNE until last MONTH. I want to know what I need to be looking for that MIGHT be causing this issue Plugs, Cat, T-Map sensors, Air leak, Cam sensor, Timing chain adjuster, Timing chain jumped a tooth, knock sensors not aligned properly, corrupt file in ECM all of those things and more or none of those things.. I just don't know but something had to have changed within the last month to cause the issue and I want it fixed. The car had been running great and now it's a bit sluggish because of the Knock.
    Thanks guys for any help you can give.

Advanced Tuner
    Excessive KR on LNF-

Advance ign timing and lean PE. Seriously.

I took a quick look at those screen shots, same thing I see every time. You're about 10 degrees too far retarded on ign timing and too rich on PE. .88 is plenty rich, you don't need to go much richer unless you're trying to save stock pistons from high boost.

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Excessive KR on LNF-

I took a quick look at those screen shots, same thing I see every time. You're about 10 degrees too far retarded on ign timing and too rich on PE. .88 is plenty rich, you don't need to go much richer unless you're trying to save stock pistons from high boost.

i learned that from cobaltssoverbooster... when he first told me that i was like wait... thats backwards from what i have done in any other tune i have done lol but it worked for me i have absolutly no knock now because of that and the knock sensor clocking
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    i learned that from cobaltssoverbooster... when he first told me that i was like wait... thats backwards from what i have done in any other tune i have done lol but it worked for me i have absolutly no knock now because of that and the knock sensor clocking
    its been going around since 2008 when the ecu was first unlocked. i dont remember who i heard it from first but it dissolves about 3/4 of kr hits when you get it right.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 08-03-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    its been going around since 2008 when the ecu was first unlocked. i dont remember who i heard it from first but it dissolves about 3/4 of kr hits when you get it right.

its a miracle lol
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

Excessive KR on LNF-

ima have to try this after i figure out how to correctly clock the rear sensor. cant seem to get a wrench in there...
    2008 Sky RL

Now I remember what that log looks like WHEN MY RINGS WERE TOAST and when it got worse it started to smoke from the exhaust and misfire.

Excessive KR on LNF-

so i should just keep advancing ignition timing by the amount of kr until it goes away?
    2008 Sky RL

SLOVED
    The dealership could not figure out why and they were actually going to just give up since they said since it's not throwing a code of any kind there is nothing we can do even though we see what your talking about and it's still having the issue. Then by a stroke of luck it happend to pop a P0236 code and go into limp mode then come out of limp mode while in that drive cycle. They told me about this and I said have you check the GMPP crimp connections and they said NO. Can you check them out for any issues and if they are not soldered to solder them since some have had issues with the crimp connections and popped that code. They were reluctant since they had already spend two days on it and come out empty but they said they look and see. They undid the tape to inspect the crimps and said they looked fine but since they had the tape off they would solder them just to make me happy. They soldered the connections and BINGO the KR went away almost totally except for a few small blips like it used to be. They were really baffled and the only thing they could come up with is that one of the wires was not crimped properly and causing a very small fluctuation in a voltage reading and causing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tazz View Post
    SLOVED
    glad you "sloved" the problem.

wish i could just solder my 3bar sensors and fix mine but i did that to start off with lol.
    2008 Sky RL