Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [ZR1 No-lift shift] - can this feature be added to an E38 computer?

Senior Tuner
    The switchover delay just fixed this problem I'd never previously been able to figure out http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...light=throttle

Thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    The switchover delay just fixed this problem I'd never previously been able to figure out http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...light=throttle

Thank you for posting it.
    Jez James, where were you in July? Vacation?

I didn't know about this one either, but apparently the E40 already has the table maxed out. E40 FTW for once.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Jez James, where were you in July? Vacation?

I didn't know about this one either, but apparently the E40 already has the table maxed out. E40 FTW for once.
    Honestly...I just hadn't paid much attention to tuning the car for quite a while until I did the heads/cam setup over the winter...and now I've been attacking the PCM from every angle I can.

For what it's worth, I'm actually using an E40 on my other car...it's a Gen 3 engine, (callies crank/rods and JE pistons in an LQ4 with stainless intake valves and inco exhaust valves with a custom cam) 24x and 1x reluctors on it just because of what it can do for rev limiters and ETC control without a TAC module over using a 411 PCM. I have a bunch of spare 411 PCM's kicking around, but I went out of my way to get an E40 for that build...since it's an engine swap into a 1995 OBD1 car, I can use just about anything I want so long as the hardware is compatible. E40 for the win there too

I made a thread on this at one point in time lol.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

I went ahead and quoted the switchover delay in your thread MikeOD
    2020 Mustang GT Daily driver
    |Hellion Sleeper|10R80|Full weight, full exhaust, BABY seat in the back|
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    |Hellion TT|Powerglide|Ignite114|
    6.87@200mph

Jordan Performance and Racing

Do not try to use Spark ONLY on a E40... it doesn't work lol. You need to keep Fuel cut enabled on a E40. We hit 8192+rpm twice on a procharged GTO last year from a mis shift with no limiter.

The RPM Hyst. is the amount of rpm below the set limit for the cutting routine to re-enable. Ex: Limit set 7000rpm, RPM Hyst. set 200rpm, when the engine reaches 7000rpm it will use the method of cut you have enabled (E40 is fuel or ETC only) and the engine will have to fall 200rpm to 6800rpm before the method of cut is re-enabled. The lower you set the RPM Hyst. number the quicker the limiter is. I usually try not to go below 10rpm just for error.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    NLS help needed.
    Has anyone experienced this problem or does anyone know what could be causing it.
    I tuned in the NLS into my E38, 2010 Camaro. The launch and shift limiter worked fine on the street after testing it. I then went to the track to try it out. I used my line lock to heat up the tires then pulled to the line and launched the car off the limiter (4500 rpm). The car launched then bogged due to limiter kicking in all around the 4000-4500 rpm area. This occured through first gear and a little hestitation in second. My clutch did not stick to the floor nor was I experiencing engine or fuel problems. The problem occured each run for a total of three times. I did not have my computer to troubleshoot at track, my mistake. As i said it never happened on the street.
    Sorry I was not data logging which could have helped out pin pointing the problem. I am cutting fuel and spark since i do have cats on the car.
    Last edited by one bad '010; 05-20-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    different tires?

Tuner in Training
    No same tires i use on street nto5r. The car does hook at the track unlike the street.

Tuner in Training
    sorry i should have explained that the car did not bog because of the tires or to much traction. it all happens as soon as the limiter kicks in just after launch.

Senior Tuner
    one bad '010, can you post up your cars file and I'll compare your limiter stuff to my 2010 Camaro stuff? I had no issues with it at the track yesterday.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    will do i have to get it from my lap top just be a second.

Tuner in Training
    sorry took a while

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by one bad '010 View Post
    sorry took a while
    bump your cutoff rpm hyst to 25,

extreme cutoff needs to be higher than resume, so make that 6500
    extremem resume is good at 6420

cutoff rpm vs gear

should be 100 below your extreme cutoff, so 6400 is good, you should make the 4,5,6th gear 6400 as well

i have spark enabled al fuel cut and etc disabled

rpm limit method delay vs gear, i use 10 for all cells

see if that helps any.

-Carl

Tuner in Training
    Thanks will do, now if only this rain would just go away. I will update you when the ground drys out so I can test.

Senior Tuner
    I agree with what Carl said for what to change...and I have the same dilemma here...rain, can't play
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    MIkeOD
    Thanks for following up. I don't post often so I had a little trouble posting the tune file. You guys on the forum are great taking time to help out us newbees.

Tuner
    check this later

Justin I think I'm going to try this (though it will be a major re-learn for me to not lift on shifts, I've trained my feet to lift, albeit quickly, for decades now).

Can you post up your latest tune that has it working well? The one attached to this thread I think is one of your trials and I don't think it worked (the switchover is zero in the attached tune).

I'd appreciate it as would others I think.
    2005 Vert Z51 MZ6
    Horsepower Sales 954-984-8040
    4:10's, FAST 92, A/R Headers w/cats, G5x3, .040 gaskets AFR 205 heads ORIG CLUTCH
    472rwhp/414rwtq
    Best pre-cam:1/4-1.730, [email protected]
    Best w-cam, pre-FAST 1/4-1.666, [email protected]
    Best w-cam & FAST 1/4-1.519, [email protected] DA-793
    Best w-cam & AFR heads 1/4-1.445, [email protected] DA-581 1/8-1.445, [email protected] DA-581
    Top speed 185 (so far...) 0-60 mph 2.59 sec (track)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUX3UNFl124

Quote Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
    Oh I've killed the stock clutch about 10 or 12 times, but it always comes back to life once it cools down and I drive it for a few minutes.

What you can't see on that video, or other videos from that day, is me reaching down with my left foot and pulling the pedal back up to the top between the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. It makes for an interesting quarter mile pass to say the least.

New gears(4.10s) and new clutch goes in next month.
    Would a bungie cord or bunch of rubber bands connected to the clutch pedal help increase your ET? Or at minimum, help the pedal not returning problem? Sounds like the GM engineers realized when the pressure plate gets hot, it gets weaker, or some pressure builds up in the hydraulics, but in the end forgot to add in the force required to push the clutch pedal back... hahah. Opps.

I also wonder if this no lift shift is a way to help reduce the pressure spikes associated with these types of blowers when closing throttle completely then re-opening it at WOT/5000rpm shifting in boosted manual trans cars.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 11-25-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires