Thread: Torque Management causing in gear idle problems

Torque Management causing in gear idle problems

I've completely butchered this tune just trying to get the torque management advance to stop pulling timing when I put the truck into gear. It's got a fairly big cam and the idle is completely screwed in gear because torque management keeps pulling out like 20 degree's of timing. Check out the scan... when the line is smooth, it's in neutral idling fine... when I put it into gear, tqmgt advance kicks in and the idle dips way down.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Whoops, this was for gen 3... could a mod please relocate?

thanks

Ttt!

Advanced Tuner
    I have the same problem with my 01 silverado with a cam... It seems it only has these issues with a cold start. I will post a log and tune here shortly, Otherwise I am still trying to 0 out one TQ management table at a time to figure which table is affecting low rpm cold start ups.

Eric

Advanced Tuner
    Heres a short log, but you get the idea when you see it start pulling timing like crazy... This is such a pain cause I cant nail my RAF because there is something going on with the Torque Management.. I keep checking through all the spark tables and the TQ vs Any kind of idle/ECT/abuse cells and I am comeing up with nothing. I dont want to 0 out my TQ vs Spark because this is my daily driver/tow vehicle.

2001 Silverado 4.8 with:
    2002 5.3 Engine
    212/212 112 cam
    Heads shaved .020

Eric

Looks like startup flare control, and you have very very little timing in your idle timing tables once it makes the transition.

Base running airflow is in the ballpark, but I would think maybe it could need more but I don't know the exact specs on the cam. Usually the 212/218's need about 1.6lbs/min, 12g/s
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Also, your primary and secondary VE's don't match. It appears that your MAF table is modified or "tuned", but your VE looks relatively stock. Did you try to tune MAF only? If so, not having the dynamic airflow high RPM disable set to 0 will still reference VE when tuning the MAF....
    '20 AT4

Advanced Tuner
    I did tune the secondary table and pasted over to the primary but I must of uploaded the wrong tune. Everything is the same except that. I did not tune the MAF by disabling the dynamic airflow which means I'll have to go back and retune the MAF. As far as the startup flare goes.. How come it would be pulling timing away even though the rpm where it getting the timing pulled is still lower than the desired RPM. Isnt the startup flare only active when the rpm is above the desired?

Thanks so far!
    Eric

That I'm not sure of, I had a truck do the same thing a while back and I'm trying to jog my memory of exactly what caused it...
    '20 AT4

Advanced Tuner
    I am still trying to search through different tunes to try and figure out if it is a missing table or just me looking over something. If/When I do I will definitely post the resolution lol.

Eric