Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4L60E WOT Shifting

Tuner in Training

4L60E WOT Shifting

does anyone know of have any experience in tuning these.

car is a Holden VZ SS ute (2005)

at part throttle the shifts are nice and crisp, WOT it takes a good second for the gear change to happen.

im experimenting with disabling TM to see if thats the issue, but thought someone might have some insight.

Cheers.

Wierd.

Change your shift time to .125

Sounds like your WOT timing is getting pulled too far. GO to engine, tm, general, spark retard vx torque reduction, and play with the timing pull. Leave some of it in there or you will be having no TM protection. Even stock you should only have .3 second shift at WOT. Did you do a scan log? I know it may seem like its a second, but until you log it, its just a guess.

Tuner in Training
    i did as you suggested and played with the spark retard vs Torque Reduction, even turned it all off to see if it was the issue, still the same.

here are some logs that log Shift error aswell not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Tuner in Training
    I have deduced at the following TPS (not sure if this is the same as the actual pedal position??)
    i didnt note the RPM and speed on the lower TPS% shifts only WOT.

25% TPS
    1:20.500 - 1:20.797 (0.297)
    44%
    3:08.328 - 3:08.781 (0.453)
    60%
    5:04.469 - 5:04.984 (0.515)
    100%
    3:29.562 - 3:30.406 (0.844)
    5800rpm - 3366
    71Kph - 80kph

ive included the Scanlogs, but not the config, as its included above.

Cant look at your logs right now, wrong computer but this comes to mind.

Is your WOT shift speed the same as part throttle shift speed at 100%?

Are you meeting both RPM and MPH?
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Senior Tuner
    Wierd, toss up your tune when you can. Tuned a 60 a couple of weeks ago and got it shiftin like a mo-fo.**Hard enough that we damaged tail pipes from hitting the ground...hahaha Put up your stock one and what you have now, see if we can find what's up
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    cheers, the 100% part throttle and full throttle speeds are slightly out.

so i shall adjust them and see if that makes any difference.

I've read my friends car computer to compare to and have found a few little things my tune has in it, and have turned them off, will post back with results swell as the WOT/Part throttle adjustments.
    mainly Max Engine torque vs RPM vs Gear.
    and Delivered Torque, shift in progress.

I've attached 2 Tune files, one for when i started playing (was Programmed by a transmission shop) and the latest file, unfortunately i don't have a stock file as it was programmed up before i had Hptuners.

Senior Tuner
    Ok, You are off on the shift speeds there. make them match between normal shift and wot shift for both normal and performance. Also, as already stated, change your shift time to .125 Now, what I do for shift MPH/KPH is quite simple, force the gear using the VCM controls, and run it to the desired RPM you are looking for. Note what MPH/KPH you are seeing at the specified RPM and transfer those findings to the shift tables!
    Your shift pressures will take away from your shifting ability as well. I use Russ K's method for this and works amazing every time bud.
    Under Shift Properties and Shift Pressure, you have normal and performance. Take each one and 0 it out, place a value of 0 in the first column and a value of 60 in the final one. Highlight entire table, click on Interpolate Selection. You will see you have a table that goes from 0 in the first row and incriments smoothly up to 60 in the last. Copy this table. Now click on the undo all changes so you have your origional values there. Now you want to copy, paste special, ADD. Once you do this, give it a try and see how it feels.
    There is more to get into, but try this to see if it improves your shift for now.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the tips, i tested it this morning before doing your changes, and its actually shifting quick now. so i think the delivered torque shift in progress had something to do with it.

im now changing all your suggestions to see if i can get it quicker.
    now that i have it going should i be concerned that i have turned all TM off?

Senior Tuner
    Personal preference. Seen many that remove it all and some leave a bit just to feel a little safe I guess
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    back to the drawing board i go, it worked once.. now back to same old.. not sure if its slipping from a faulty component, is there a PID i can log to check this?

Senior Tuner
    Yea, trans rpm input and output. It worked once? Did you put TQ management back in or leave it out? Could you post the tune with the changes you made, the one that "worked once"?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    I see you zeroed out the main timing table to remove TQ management, but I have never trusted just removing that one. I hit them all, every table that refrences torque management that I can find. It says that it dissables ti all, I just take the time to make sure there is nothing there to reference. You still have drivetrain abuse mode in there in the tune above as well. Just spotted it looking around. For it to work once and now its back to a sluggish shift, sounds like something in the tune to me man. Put your newest one up so I can see the changes you made compared to yesterdays tune
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    heres my latest.

one thing i was looking at was the max torque field under engine > TM > General, its only set to 475nm but the max torque table references 868 which is the max, not sure if i should be changing that one.

i really appreciate your help also :P

Senior Tuner
    We need one of the Holden guys for that one. I would not change it on yours just yet. On "some" holden vehicles it will reduce fuel pressure in high torque situtations. That is bad! I don't know if yours is one that would fall under that warning.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    am i missing anything else here?

im going to do a log with my engine and trans tq, just so i know what im looking at.
    Last edited by wierd; 11-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.

on the engine tm general max torque set vs.rpm to 640, set etc tps table all to 100, set etc inj and power-hop tables to 255. 0 out torque loss vs spark retard, abuse set rpm to 8,000 rpm. trans tm torque reduction set normal and performance tables to 0, set general to 640. try this and post a new log.

Tuner in Training

WOT - Full Throttle - Partial Throttle

I'm a definite newbie to this, so if this is the wrong thread or there are better threads to post this to, let me know. My goal is to first tune the Transmission Shift Points to optimize HP and Torque - isn't this everyone's goal? I want to really only change the Speed Shift and Manual Shift. I have a 2009 G8 GT - complete Stock. I am a systems analyst - programmer, so tend to be a bit anal when it comes to writing and reading correct code. Especially when it can have damaging effects. Trying to figure out the WOT - Full Throttle - Partial Throttle conditions and when they kick in. From the scans I've done, the max TPS(%) I ever get is 88. This just seems wrong. Why is this? Is this HP's program issue? I've also found the 2nd gear OOTB Full Throttle (WOT? peddle to the floor - TPS(%) = 88) in Standard Drive pegs the RPM to 6135 with a retard of 4.2 degrees at 40mph. I definitely don't like that! Anyone have some suggestions (tables / values / scan parameters) on the TPS(%) and the best way to alter the shiftpoints / TPS(%) or other parameters which may help me "conceptualize" the answers? There are a whole lot of other things I want to do, but I think this is first on the list

Thanks.

Tuner in Training

Newbie in Action

Thanks for the reply. After wandering around for a while, I found the information in the Sticky (say Newie here!). Maybe wandering around a bit more, I'll find out more. I've been reading "A LOT" and more. Finding more and more tables, which are leading to even more questions. As an example, the TPS (%) value appears to be used in several tables which could limit (or not limit) the shift speed. Attached is a jpg with all "Normal" parameters. The Normal D1 indicates 318mph shift but the Normal D2 indicates what happens. The actual shift from 1st to 2nd occurs at about 27mph. There are so many questions just in these tables, I could easily get bogged down here. Why does it use D2 over D1 or does it? How is this affected by the TPS (%) information which maxes at 88? I know my car was used as a one of the demo cars when the G8 was first being promoted. Could these tables have already been changed during the cross country demo? I'll be comparing these against some of the stock tunes people have uploaded to see if my "stock" is the same.

Thanks! I can tend to ramble, so hopefully that all made sense.