Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford tuning in AUS

Tuner in Training
    Hi Bill,

I have a demo version of Hp tuners that i am playing with as I am considering buying it to tune my 2006 FPV F6 TYPHOON (currently 395rwkw with ZF 6 Speed auto) and the software looks straight forward to use. All I need before buying it is to verify that it can tune the 6 speed ZF auto. Can it do it and are you able to post a tune for a BF model with a ZF 6 speed in at that I can have a look at before I buy it?

Advanced Tuner
    cant tune the ZF with hpt
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    cant tune the ZF with hpt
    That sux, it was looking great right up until just then.

Is HPT planning on adding ZF auto tuning capability anytime soon?

Advanced Tuner
    Im in a similar boat mate, looking to start tuning my own bf turbo ute with zf also, only making 365rwkw though at the moment, i ive got a small exhaust keeping a limit on it cause ive still got stock unopenned motor. Ive read every single page of all this stuff in the aussie section to try decide whether or not to buy hp. There arent really any other options for the home tuner, ive heard about moates B.E etc but nothing in terms of a total package compares to hp. And sct advantage we cant get hold of, hopefully they get the ability to tune the zf in the near future, or considering it has a separate module for the tranny, maybe it could be tuned with sct, then do the rest with hp? I supose it would depend where the changes are saved, or if the tunes are stored in the short or long term memory, i think sct engine stuff is short term cause i think if the battery goes flat, after a while the tune has to be reflashed?

Advanced Tuner
    it took sct 6 years to get the ZF stuff working.. ive done a heap with it and its great but i still leave most of them stock unless they are going to go racing every week and dont mind the broken input shafts...

Advanced Tuner
    Yes thats also what my tuner said about mine. And im quite ok with how my ZF behaves now, Trying to find some decent street tyres at the moment. To get into the 11s, currently running 12.2 @119mph, with full tank of juice, hard cover etc. Stock dunlops are rubbish

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1 View Post
    it took sct 6 years to get the ZF stuff working.. ive done a heap with it and its great but i still leave most of them stock unless they are going to go racing every week and dont mind the broken input shafts...
    Mine has 395RWKW through the ZF and I run transmax z fluid. The torque table has been altered with the SCT software so it doesnt flare. This was done before the full tranny edit was available. The torque converter clutch constantly locks and unlocks under low load while it is cold while holding a constant light throttle whilst in the one gear and it is a little annoying.

Advanced Tuner
    transmax is not the right fluid for the box, but if it works and dosent bang too hard into the next gear then you might be lucky..

with 395rwkw if you edit the tranny and remove the torque management you WILL break the input shaft..

Advanced Tuner
    Well, after lurking around here for a couple weeks soaking alot of it all in, finally purchased my VCM suite software today, Looking forward to getting my head around it all, but slow and steady as I go.

Also when I spoke to Scott today, he was very helpful, and was happy to talk rubbish with me over the phone for a half hour and explain any questions.

Advanced Tuner
    !

Advanced Tuner
    Also scott was saying they have hired a ford engineer (im assuming software) as he said it will help them out alot with the ford side of things. So thats good news!

Advanced Tuner
    Have you had much to do with rebuilding the ZF? My uncle just retired from his won autotrans building business now works with me. He unfortunately didnt get to have one of these appart and when i was doing my apprenticeship at ford I didnt either, our dealer didnt rebuild them. I going to have a crack at mine after I do the engine, Ive heard that people upgrade to FG input shaft and heavy duty clutchpacks, maybe its the the similar hardware when these boxes are used in some of the high end euro cars? possibly jag or Aston, thats not gospel though.

If you have any more info I would appreciate that, aswell any hot tips for the new to tuning

thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    ive never pulled one apart,

i had one rebuilt by a guy in sydney a few weeks ago, it was that bad after the rebuild the owner sold the car...

Advanced Tuner
    Really, what issues did the car have? As you would probably know these things are pig when it comes to the correct oil level and all sorts of weird things can happen when the level it out even by a small amount. I cant stress how important it is. Its unlike every other auto Ive serviced, The early models came with a plastic sump/filter combo that is rubbish, make sure you get customers to ditch that go for a metal pan and separate filter. Makes servicing from thereafter cheaper also.

As you know the Oil type also fairly touch and go, I have used transmax z in mine to see how it behaves, Its quite good under for the most part although the torque converter gets a shudder when its cold, although if you let the car warm up to quarter on the temp guage then there is no problems. I think the transmaz z is a little different in terms of viscosity compared to the zf oil. Not sure if there is the ability to cater for a difference in the oil with the ZF tuning gear. I dont have SCT so Im not sure

Advanced Tuner
    what ever they did to it the shifts were so harsh it was not funny, even pulling 50% pressure out it would still smash into gear, but only when it was hot,

we tried mainlube oil and the real ZF oil and it was both the same...

he fucked it off and got a Manual GTP, much better car with the blown 8 in it!

Advanced Tuner
    what ever they did to it the shifts were so harsh it was not funny, even pulling 50% pressure out it would still smash into gear, but only when it was hot,

we tried mainlube oil and the real ZF oil and it was both the same...

he fucked it off and got a Manual GTP, much better car with the blown 8 in it!
    Fair enough, i personally wouldnt mind a new ga ute to replace my bf xr t but im afraid if the minister of fun and finance gives me the nod to upgrade it would be a sedan for the baby seats required for squidlets.. My ute owes me hardly anything and never gets driven cause i get a service ute. But those new blown 5litres are getting good results. Will admit i almost wanted to go back to ford when they came out haha what kind of ponies was the customers zf powered car making? Personally i dont think i would do anything more than an fg spec input shaft and h/duty clutches, and maybe up shift pressures slightly to eliminate a bit of slip and help wear but it wouldnt be to the point where it made it that harsh, just a little firmer. See how it goes when the time comes i supose

Advanced Tuner
    you cant just up the pressure and hope for the best, these boxes dont work like that,

the car was making 360rwkw and running 11.8 on orignal street tyres...

Advanced Tuner
    Cant you adjust the shift pressures/severity? From what I under stood you could, but its highly possible im wrong on that, havent seen it first hand.

360rwkw that is good power, about the same as my ute, and a good time also, I couldnt get that close on stock tyres 12.2@119

Are you aware of what they changed in the box when it was built, modifications to the valve body?

Tuner
    Anyone know what settings to adjust for cruise control on a 03 xrt.When i go to set mine it boosts up about 5lb and 10ks every hit on the button even on decel.What am i missing?

Advanced Tuner
    JVK you cant adjust the CC directly, Have you changed tyre size from stock by any chance?