Thread: 2006 4.6 Turbo tune/ please look at

2006 4.6 Turbo tune/ please look at

Let just start by saying I am an LS guy to the bone. I am getting my feet wet with this Mustang and trying to help out a friend.

The car has an STS rear single turbo kit/8psi w/40# injectors.

The STS kit came with a Diablo hand held. After moving to another location he had the thing tuned by a SCT guy because it was running pig rich up top.
    I'm not going to go into details about where and who as it is bad form and irrelevant at this point.
    As usual, I flashed the car stock and pulled with the latest BETA... Then re-installed the SCT tune and pulled it to compare the two tunes.
    Like I said...not a dark side tuner, but it looks like the tune was designed to blow his S*&t up.

My observations
    - No MAF xfer changes at all
    - Timing was increased from stock
    - WOT AFR was leaner than stock
    - Knock retard was allowed to add more timing w/o knock present...etc
    - One table was changed to account for more air that I can see [Cylair WOT Multiplier]. I'm not really comfortable with what this table accomplishes by changing it. Seems like a rape job, but my knowledge is really lacking on these modular Fords.

I've attach the Stock file and the the Tune file..please give me your comments. I could be missing something here
    Last edited by Blown; 06-20-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b
    Vortech blown 5.3/air to water IC/finish line 4l80e/ stall / Running on E98 ethanol
    2008 Silverado- Vortech VL Twin screw supercharger. SEMA 2008 Vortec Engineering Booth

Another thing I found that was really strange is:
    When scanning, I can't reset the trims in VCM controls. All of the options are light grey as if they are not supported or active.
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b
    Vortech blown 5.3/air to water IC/finish line 4l80e/ stall / Running on E98 ethanol
    2008 Silverado- Vortech VL Twin screw supercharger. SEMA 2008 Vortec Engineering Booth

Ok forget about the tune...I 'm going to simplify my question.

What is the function of the [Cylair WOT Multiplier] table, and if changed in either direction what is the net affect.
    e.g. Stock value is 1.10 if changed to 1.90 does that indicate a higher volume of WOT air flow. If so..how can it compensate for the whole rpm range etc...
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b

Potential Tuner
    this allows the eec to permit there is 90% more air avaible for the engine fueling calculation. if not set higher to 1.90 then the calculation would limit the injectors from fueling for the extra air which causes the engine to runs lean,, so set wot mult to 1.90 and set max mult to 1.85 and your sould be good..

So let me ask you this...

On LS computers you can rape the PE table to account for extra air (boost volume..whatever) and not touch the MAF or VE tables. Shitty way to tune..but you know, mail tuners do it as a business model.
    Is this the same concept......
    Should that table be put back to stock and go in and rescale the MAF for the air for the part throttle stuff, then address the full throttle fueling in the base fueling tables...
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b

Potential Tuner
    ok, im not much of a gm tuner, im new to gms and is way differnt new beast for me so im not a good one on gms.
    . ok. now that table or scalar is a little misleading by its name. other comapny call them differnt example thay are also called " air anticipation" what this does is simply lets the eec know that there could be up to 190% of air entering the engine base on its displacment. is what i understand and was tought. now your maf transfer function should still be good asumimg its a good one. if you need to make any changes to the maf then u can make it off the maf function. now u said it had an sts turbo. then is it still using the mafia? is the tune complete redone from sts tune or just updated?..but sounds to be they could have just removed from the maf but anyways its been done

So i've spent some time on this car and it runs really good. getting 28MPG on the freeway. It drives really crisp, no KR and basically rips the skin off your face at WOT.
    Following mods were done:
    1)Custom grind cams w/ phase limiters
    2)IMRC deletes
    3)Ford racing intake
    4)GT500 throttle body
    5)Some more Boost

I'm not a Ford expert but I have learned a lot in this process. Let me know if I can help anyone else.
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b

Tuner
    I'm also an LS guy helping my friend tuner his 05 GT with a turbo. I'm digging into the stock tune to familiarize myself with it, but any pointers you can give would be great.
    2002 EB C5Z06. ECS Novi, Alky control meth & headers, 633 rwhp