Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rich or Lean No In Between

your data vs: mine.

Last edited by Google; 06-04-2011 at 11:59 PM.
    We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Tuner in Training
    Tried modified tune like said in PM.
    Then added fuel in 5% increments just to check. Then logged each one.

Tuner in Training
    Would not let me post last log.

Tuner in Training
    In my mind it should not change lean to rich my just such a small amount of adjustment. I am starting to think it might be a hardware/mechanical issue instead of tune.

zerro your maf table as your maf is still plugged up and adding fuel.. also your cold start looks lean and then it just goes rich.. your adding fuel to an already rich engine. 820mv is 12.8ish afr 49mv is like 19.1ish afr.

Tuner in Training
    I have zeroed the Maf table and will try to adjust the cold start. Will try adjusted tune tomorrow. Getting late and need to go to bed. Plus think I might make my neighbors mad if I keep cranking the truck up this late. Thank You greatly for all of your help.

Quote Originally Posted by claya2 View Post
    I have zeroed the Maf table and will try to adjust the cold start. Will try adjusted tune tomorrow. Getting late and need to go to bed. Plus think I might make my neighbors mad if I keep cranking the truck up this late. Thank You greatly for all of your help.

n.p.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the results of 0 Maf table and trying to get the VE as close as possible. Still have to use very small adjustments like changes of .5 to get it close and not rich or lean. Can't figure out why it is still doing this.

I see it needs tuned.. The correct data will make it easyer.. incorrect data will not help control fuel.. Try to calculate the injector data again.

Tuner in Training
    I have never had this motor setup be this sensitive to VE changes. The AFR%Error wants me to change say 20. But in reality if I change more than 1 it goes rich or lean. Are you thinking that it is my injector data causing this?

Tuner in Training
    Found some one else having the same problem.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34600

Tuner in Training
    Could a bad fuel pump cause this? I have not tested the pressure yet but will tomorrow after work. The reason I ask is it just seems odd that it ran fine on the wrong injector data for 200mi. Then it didn't run right after I parked it one day. Starting to look at other mechanical possibilities. Even with the wrong injector data it seems like it should not be this sensitive to tune.

Quote Originally Posted by claya2 View Post
    Could a bad fuel pump cause this?

No, It is simple.. with the incorrect injector data your trying to control your injectors. Ever play with a garden hose and put your thumb over the opening? Whats more consistent, your thumb or a spray nozzle?

Last edited by Google; 06-06-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Tuner in Training
    You were right about not being a fuel pressure issue. The pressure is 52psi with vacuum and 60psi when I disconnect the vacuum hose. However, my gas smells really funny. It is not a sharp odor like I am use to kinda of a light fragrant smell. Will get some new/fresh gas this afternoon.

I believe you that the injector data is not right. Ran good on the data that was there for 200mi. However, since the issue started I have tried ever possible injector data that I could find in the repository for 42lb - 60lb injectors. All had the same result. I may send my injectors off to have them flowed and tested.

That vehicle has a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator, thus the IFR & Injector Offset table values are to be the same in all of the columns.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    That vehicle has a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator, thus the IFR & Injector Offset table values are to be the same in all of the columns.

Russ Kemp
    Thank you, went back and looked at the stock tune. IFR table is all the same. Changed mine but will have to wait till I can afford to get good injector data.

Tuner in Training
    Pictures of my injectors.

Tuner in Training
    The injectors I had that I posted above were mystery injectors that came with a TVS1900 kit. So I decided to get good injectors with known data. Okay, I have installed new LS3 injectors from Jon at FIC. Used known good LS3 data and plugged in the new IFC for these injectors. Seems several people have had good results with this combo. Example: (5 Liter Eater)

Still I have the same problem. Just can not get the darn thing to settle on a middle point between rich and lean. I am about to completely give up. It just doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. Please help me. How can I diagnose this problem. Nothing seems to be broken electrically or mechanically. Any comments or suggestions no matter how simple or complex would be welcome.

Tuner in Training
    Current Tune

Tuner in Training
    Let me make a list of what I have checked and tried.

1. All grounds are good: PCM, Battery to engine and body, both on back of the motor, and the one by the power steering pump.
    2. Fuel pressure is 53psi with vacuum and 60psi without.
    3. Not the injectors installed new ones from FIC with correct data.
    4. New O2's went in with the motor 200mi and 2 weeks ago.
    5. All coils are firing checked by way of cylinder drop test.
    6. All input sensors are giving the HPT Scanner good readings.
    7. Not a vacuum leak, smoked the intake system.