Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Big mess... 2 bar? alpha n ? Ld9 ?

ah ok...ill have to call hptuners then because i forgot what my password was and tried the email thing and it has never emailed me the password to get access to it!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjimmy View Post
    I am kinda chasing my tail here. I have knowledge of how an engine works and how to rebuild them but tuning is quite a bit more involved than I thought is was going to be. I was hoping to find someone local and hire them to help me with this setup but so far no luck. Could you guys help me with some referals to good tuning books please? It has been a few months now and I am still highly motivated to learn tuning for f.i. but would like to know in detail about what I am doing and the effects it will have. Thanks guys
    Theres a ton of j-body guys in the PA area. When I go into the North East region section on JBO I feel like the only person in the NE that owns a j-body and doesnt live in PA.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

I know I have downloaded a couple files from HPT, but I also have a couple so if you need one let me know.

Picked up an LM-1 yesterday, installed lsj stage II injectors, put 1 bar map back in, changed all gaskets along the way. All that bs with the map and pigtail but I am going back to 2 bar map and flashing ld9 sd tune to it. I just can not get it right with alpha -n so I am trying something different. Any tips,tricks, do's or dont's for the reflash ? Thank you guys
    1999 Gmc Sonoma 2.2

Tuner in Training
    Now that you have a wideband you can try to tune it in open loop before you go to the 2 bar and reflash. You might find it easier not fighting the fuel trims.
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.

Thank you, I will give it a try. I flashed a tune from a turbo cavi in the repository that makes the truck drivable atleast and have it set for open loop only. I will head out this weekend and get some logging/histo done.
    1999 Gmc Sonoma 2.2

Tuner in Training
    I was going to start a thread with a question I had, but using the search I found this one, and I dont want to hijack the thread, but I have a question. I have a 98 S10 with the 2.2L. and the damn Alpha-N operating system. I had a question. I found the stock supercharger cavi tune/flash in the respiratory. Now, what did it take to flash that tune into a S10 computer? will it have any effects on my stock gauges? I think it was stated that it would, but just wanted clarification. My main concern is if you had to license the file then change the vin? or what did it all entail to flash it into the S10? could you do it with the HP tuner software or did you have to have a dealer do it? Just wanted some clarification because I have been searching this board for the past 2 hrs and I cant find a clear answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy View Post
    I was going to start a thread with a question I had, but using the search I found this one, and I dont want to hijack the thread, but I have a question. I have a 98 S10 with the 2.2L. and the damn Alpha-N operating system. I had a question. I found the stock supercharger cavi tune/flash in the respiratory. Now, what did it take to flash that tune into a S10 computer? will it have any effects on my stock gauges? I think it was stated that it would, but just wanted clarification. My main concern is if you had to license the file then change the vin? or what did it all entail to flash it into the S10? could you do it with the HP tuner software or did you have to have a dealer do it? Just wanted some clarification because I have been searching this board for the past 2 hrs and I cant find a clear answer...

Im can't verify the questions about losing gauge function on a S10 because I have not dealt with them, but my guess is if your S10 has a BCM you won't lose any, and if it does not have a BCM you will lose some. B est go on S10 forums and research that.

As for what does it take to put that file on your S10. Well you need to have credits for your ECU, and then credits for the new file. You do not have to change VIN"s to load the file on your ECU.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JMHZ2401 View Post
    Im can't verify the questions about losing gauge function on a S10 because I have not dealt with them, but my guess is if your S10 has a BCM you won't lose any, and if it does not have a BCM you will lose some. B est go on S10 forums and research that.

As for what does it take to put that file on your S10. Well you need to have credits for your ECU, and then credits for the new file. You do not have to change VIN"s to load the file on your ECU.
    THANK YOU!!! Thats the info I've been pulling my hair out for THANK YOU

Tuner in Training
    That info is not correct though. Bowtie guy your 98 has a bcm. It will lose the speedo and the battery light will come on. The alternator still charges and the gauge works correct. The issue with the speedo can probably be figured out with a bit of work on tuning. Wont find much on s10 forum, their tuning info is extremely weak.
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.

Quote Originally Posted by 98S10 View Post
    That info is not correct though. Bowtie guy your 98 has a bcm. It will lose the speedo and the battery light will come on. The alternator still charges and the gauge works correct. The issue with the speedo can probably be figured out with a bit of work on tuning. Wont find much on s10 forum, their tuning info is extremely weak.
    That's why I said I can't reall verify and it was my guess.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 98S10 View Post
    With the speedo, couldnt I copy my settings from the old file to the new cavi file to make it work? jw if anyone has done this before and what they would have to do to make it work.. thanks again this has been very helpful

i just found out that also the ld9 file will not work right with the 4l60e transmission, supposedly the truck will not go anywhere from a source on s-10 forums who has already looked into this, and confirmed that the battery light and speedo funtion will be on and lost! i thought this was a solution but i think im going to be going all standalone with trans, engine, fuel! if im spending money and its gonna be just a track vehicle i might as well do it well!

Advanced Tuner
    Why not tranny swap rather than a standalone? then not only do you get the tuning solution you want but you also get a man pedal and a better tranny.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Tuner in Training
    If its mainly going to be a track truck. Why spend all that money on standalone equipment. Tune the stock pcm use a wideband and set wot afr. People have been tuning the alpha-n on boost fine. Its not the preferred method but it can work especially for a track vehicle. No need for perfect drivability. Then you can tune the 4l60e. I dont know what kind of a tranny would work for a swap, unless its a 5spd. Im starting to find the limits in the stock s10 5spd so it might not be a good swap for a track only truck. Good luck.
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.

Tuner in Training
    Im not so sure you cant get the LD9 file to work with the 4L60e. Wont know untill you try it.
    98 s10 5.3 5spd.