Thread: manual trans swap

manual trans swap

Has anybody tried to do a manual transmission swap with a gen iv that was set up for an auto. Is it possible just to eliminate the TCM. Or do I have to get a segment swap to tell the ECM that it now is a manual trans. I have noticed that none of the newer trucks with the same engines came with manual transmissions.

Tuner in Training
    I am curious about this as well--whether the ECM will still function if the TCM is removed (such as when swapping an auto trans for a manual trans)...

Advanced Tuner
    curious as well. want to change 05 trailblazer E40 PCM to manual and eliminate TCM? I know I guy who did it, he used a 05 SSR manual transmission file. and eliminated the T42 TCM, he won't tell me how he did it though??

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04colyZQ8 View Post
    curious as well. want to change 05 trailblazer E40 PCM to manual and eliminate TCM? I know I guy who did it, he used a 05 SSR manual transmission file. and eliminated the T42 TCM, he won't tell me how he did it though??
    I haven't looked at the manual SSR file yet. Is it basically just the ECM file with the TCM segments stripped out of it?

IIRC, the entire "OBD to ECM" CAN bus wiring path flows through the TCM first, so once the TCM is removed I'd imagine you'd need to jumper those particular bus pins over in the old TCM connector to keep the continuity going.

It's been years since messing with it, but I had to do something screwy like this to program a blank E40 only when I got a partial file (ECM only) from Speartech. It was a pretty dirty procedure that I came up with, but it worked. Mind you, I kept the auto/TCM, this was just something I had to do for programming everything.. Point is, I think I still have that file if you want to play around with what I described above..

Advanced Tuner
    sure post up the file, I can than compare it to mine, it is for a friends truck, he wants to convert is to a manual, mine is a manual, and I never have had nor do I still the Trans module