Thread: Tuning MAF on 06 ss/sc

Tuner in Training

Tuning MAF on 06 ss/sc

Ok I have read for days and still can't figure out how to tune the MAF.
    What PIDs and HISTOs to set up to read maf error %. Or VE error %.
    Every time I try the HISTO says not supported. I can get the Ve table with
    STFT+LTFT PIDS and Histos to work but I am lost on getting the MAF tuning going. I have no wideband yet but want to get this tune close so I can drive without worring to much. Thanks for the Help.

Advanced Tuner
    Its basically the same thing, LTFTs+STFTs in the PID of the histo,units = %, 1 decimal, and in the row & axis tab you need to have the table as maf airflow vs. output freq.

Your LTFT+STFT's PID needs to be in the table display. I also have STFT bank 1, and LTFT bank 1, and Mass Air Flow... Not sure if they are needed for the histo to work, never took them out and tested.
    Last edited by HNRClothing; 09-29-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Tuner in Training
    do you think your running lean, is that what this is about? Because it is kind of hard to figure out and tune the MAF without a wb in the first place. Maybe someone else has a different opinion and will chime in andd ^^ there it is.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by moranjames89 View Post
    do you think your running lean, is that what this is about? Because it is kind of hard to figure out and tune the MAF without a wb in the first place. Maybe someone else has a different opinion and will chime in andd ^^ there it is.
    Its easy to tune the maf without a WB, you use the fuel trims. Its not the most accurate vs. the WB, but it will do until that is bought.

People need to start buying a wideband before anything else. Tuning a car for WOT without a wideband is extremely dangerous. You'll either blow your shit up, or end up with a pig rich tune that is probably slower then you started out with.

You can do it using the O2's mv only you need to stay on the rich side which means sacrificing power, you really should get a wideband. They have some that are brand new for under $200, look into the AEM Inline.

BUT, if you must.. log O2S1 and make sure you are richer then 850-860mv.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    You can do it using the O2's mv only you need to stay on the rich side which means sacrificing power, you really should get a wideband. They have some that are brand new for under $200, look into the AEM Inline.

BUT, if you must.. log O2S1 and make sure you are richer then 850-860mv.
    Narrow band sensors are not very accurate. 850-860 mV can be a larger A/F range than most think. I remember trying to go off those on my GTO and when I put the WB on it I was off quite a bit.

Oh no doubt! It only is a good guestimate at are you rich or lean. Def can't use it for anything remotely accurate lol. Apparently Vince Email tunes LSJ's using the stock sensor.....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    Oh no doubt! It only is a good guestimate at are you rich or lean. Def can't use it for anything remotely accurate lol. Apparently Vince Email tunes LSJ's using the stock sensor.....
    Ugh. I refuse to email tune LSJs unless they have a WB. I would not want anyone to run pig rich or blow their motor on my watch.

I totally agree with you there, I will not touch a car without a wideband period. Not even a LSJ, really any car.

Thats one thing i require everyone that comes and gets a tune from me. They must have a wideband, why get a custom tune when it cant be dialed in properly anyway.

I even bought a wideband and attached some clip leads to the ends so I can rent it to people for the session. AFX WB02 - $225

If you have the Pro HPT you can get the AEM Inline WB02 for $165. Its a log only version, no gauge face. I have it in my Matrix and it works excellent, super stealth